Preseason Week 1: Lions v. Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

I did read this, and if Dalton is going to be good then next week he should start getting better. He should continue to grow with this offense, and considering the lockout im not giving up on him. However this o-line needs to get better, if they get better i can see Dalton completeing passes, and getting comfortable.

Exactly. All I'm saying is that if anyone expected more from Dalton tonight, they're nuts. Now we go on and see what he can do. Whether he is the answer or not remains to be seen.

I did read this, and if Dalton is going to be good then next week he should start getting better. He should continue to grow with this offense, and considering the lockout im not giving up on him. However this o-line needs to get better, if they get better i can see Dalton completeing passes, and getting comfortable.

Exactly. All I'm saying is that if anyone expected more from Dalton tonight, they're nuts. Now we go on and see what he can do. Whether he is the answer or not remains to be seen.

once he settled down he did look pretty good. but man the o-line is going to get who ever plays killed!

Can this team please sign a new Guard or two. Brian Walters is out there and while he is older he is far far better then Livings is. This o-line needs help bad, and i really feel like if they could fix this the offense has a chance to do something!!

The defense wasn't exactly stellar tonight either.

like brad said at half time. best thing about this game it does not count. just awful! paul why in the hell do you have a job? wow they sucked bad tonight, it can only get better right? please someone say it going to get better :frustrated:

I think the offense can get better with better o-line help!! When Dalton had time to throw the ball he completed passes and looked comfortable, but wow the o-line could not pass protect. However i did like Andre Smith i thought he played great.

As far as the defense goes i have no idea whats wrong with them, im starting to lose faith in Zimmer hope he comes through because this defense needs to lead this team.

once he settled down he did look pretty good. but man the o-line is going to get who ever plays killed!

Well thank gawd they won't face Suh every week. He ate Cook and Livings alive. I think they can handle average competition but clearly got their asses kicked tonight.

O-line upgrade? Please. Bring it on.

Horrible! No fundamentals of football being practiced. Simpsons can stay calm, isn’t holding onto the rock right! The O-line is getting the QB’s killed. The Def just sucks; you cannot make a tackle in the NFL by launching your body into someone one! Hit and wrap!!

Leonard and Shipley are two beast! Both have heart and I like how they play. Nelson was pretty good tonight too. Green can play and will be a good WR. Wasn’t impressed with Dalton at all, but then he had no protections. Smith sucks! He was one on one with a DB and got smoked!

Our kicking games suck too. Can’t put the ball in the end zone on kick offs and missed a FG. What exactly are they doing at training camp besides telling us how better they are this year? I just don’t see it! We’re getting the crap beat out of us and guys are on the sideline smiling, chewing gum, bsing. Still no discipline!

Going to be a long season. Yes I know it’s only preseason, but we’re seeing the same as years past!

Can this team please sign a new Guard or two. Brian Walters is out there and while he is older he is far far better then Livings is. This o-line needs help bad, and i really feel like if they could fix this the offense has a chance to do something!!

The defense wasn't exactly stellar tonight either.

Defense was pathetic, i have no idea why. Maybe because they had a bunch of guys out, but i hope Zim fixes this.

The o-line was bad last year, its bad so far this year, you would think this would tell Marvin maybe his o-line is just not very good??? You would think!!

Well thank gawd they won't face Suh every week. He ate Cook and Livings alive. I think they can handle average competition but clearly got their asses kicked tonight.

Brian Walters please he is vet who came from the #1 running team in the NFL last year, and brings alot of experience to help the young guys.

Funny, I was jammed up andcould not watch the game, though I could follow it on my phone. From the feed, simple text on a screen, I could tell they were being manhandled. My mindseye could see it.

When I finally arrived home, I watched most of TB-KC. Let me just say, Josh Johnson,the back up in TB, looked downright lethal. Figure out a way to get him.

I will withhold my assessment until I can watch the replay on NFL network. I am feeling slightly nuts... FWIW.

Well Zimmers defense is pathetic. What the heck happened to that defense that Zimmer had in 09, and dont give me because Jjoe left, because he struggled last year also. Its almost like nobody is on the same page, they are not playing physical, and there pass rush is just horrible. If they could fix there defense, i think that would help out some. Come on Zim fix it

i agree- but bengals sat 18 players due to injury for this game as well

Unless the NFL changes the rule and allows all 18 of those guys on the field at the same time (instead of the normal 11) I don't really think it would matter.

Well Zimmers defense is pathetic. What the heck happened to that defense that Zimmer had in 09, and dont give me because Jjoe left, because he struggled last year also. Its almost like nobody is on the same page, they are not playing physical, and there pass rush is just horrible. If they could fix there defense, i think that would help out some. Come on Zim fix it

Unless the NFL changes the rule and allows all 18 of those guys on the field at the same time (instead of the normal 11) I don't really think it would matter.

Just watching highlights on NFL.com... yikes.

Bobbie William got smoked by Suh on the sack that drew the flag. Fat Bobbie is done. Can't have that, especially lining up next to Flesh Zepplin, who needs all the help he can get.

Wow, what is up with Hall? He looked about as bad as he did against AJ Green in practice. Off the receiver, looked slow, really is a bit of a bummer. JJoe was the cover CB, Hall was good but after this, I can only think he is just not in football shape or he is degrading already. I hope it is not the latter.

Watching Pender get smoked for a TD, and considering the timeline for Pacman, Hall looking suddenly very "Toast" like, I am now feeling shaky with this secondary...and there is no help coming off the street. None.

As with LB. Unless I can be convinced Lofa Tatupu can come in and bolster the LB group, we could see Skuta out there where Moch and Muck would have been playing. Not much help on the street either.

Watching the KC-TB game, there is some talent on both D-lines that will be cut. Tyson Jackson has been labelled a bust but he looked decent out there. Al Woods for TB also looked very fast and disruptive, in a Peko kind of way.

Just watching highlights on NFL.com... yikes.

Bobbie William got smoked by Suh on the sack that drew the flag. Fat Bobbie is done. Can't have that, especially lining up next to Flesh Zepplin, who needs all the help he can get.

Wow, what is up with Hall? He looked about as bad as he did against AJ Green in practice. Off the receiver, looked slow, really is a bit of a bummer. JJoe was the cover CB, Hall was good but after this, I can only think he is just not in football shape or he is degrading already. I hope it is not the latter.

Watching Pender get smoked for a TD, and considering the timeline for Pacman, Hall looking suddenly very "Toast" like, I am now feeling shaky with this secondary...and there is no help coming off the street. None.

As with LB. Unless I can be convinced Lofa Tatupu can come in and bolster the LB group, we could see Skuta out there where Moch and Muck would have been playing. Not much help on the street either.

Watching the KC-TB game, there is some talent on both D-lines that will be cut. Tyson Jackson has been labelled a bust but he looked decent out there. Al Woods for TB also looked very fast and disruptive, in a Peko kind of way.

I was not really sold on Jjoe either, say what you want but last year when Jjoe played he looked just as bad. Oh and it looks like Jjoe's groin is acting up again for him in Houston. Anyways Hall was just as good in 09, remember it was him who was shutting down everyones #1 reciever not Jjoe.

No thanks on Tatupu he had knee surgery, and im hearing his knees are done and not the same! Im not giving up on the LBs yet it was there first game toghter since getting Howard and Lawson, Rey looked great tonight. I didnt think the LBs looked all that anyways, now the DL looked horrible.

Funny, I was jammed up andcould not watch the game, though I could follow it on my phone. From the feed, simple text on a screen, I could tell they were being manhandled. My mindseye could see it.

When I finally arrived home, I watched most of TB-KC. Let me just say, Josh Johnson,the back up in TB, looked downright lethal. Figure out a way to get him.

I said that about Josh Johnson back in the offseason, the guy is fast, and has a rocket for an arm. I thought maybe they would have because i know Jon Gruden drafted him, so i thought maybe Jay knew about him and thought he was option. He could probably come in here and start right away, but im not sure TB would let him go, or do i think the Bengals would go for him.

its a pre season game. im not gonna worry to much about it. Heck they havnt even been together but for two weeks.. :bengal:

Same for the Lions, but they managed to put a real team on the field.

There's no point in belaboring the point, folks...but I wouldn't get my hopes up for this year. The only thing they'll do is win 2 of the last 4 to miss holding the Andrew Luck auction.

Injuries = annual excuse (Bengals have no depth and I mentioned that here in another thread)

The Bengals think they can win games or be "competitive" with backups from other teams being starters here (Howard, Lawson, Livings, Cook, Crocker, Nelson in particular)

Jay Gruden reminds me of Dave Shula - lost, deer-eyed, a joke, no place in the NFL as an o-coordinator without being a position coach first, a total joke, and I laughed at that hire on here when it was announced.

Leon Hall is the most overrated CB in the NFL by far.

JJ and Carson had no interest in coming back here because they were SMART.

Paul Alexander is the worst o-line coach in the NFL and that is not an over-statement, he is absolutely horrible, can't judge talent and most of all, can't coach guys up.

Did I mention Jay Gruden is worse than Bratkowski?

Pac Man, Caldwell, Sims and Dunlap wouldn't have made much of a difference on defense, the LB's here suck, the did last year, they do this year.

This team will be the worst in the NFL, they are an absolute train wreck, remember this, and I'm posting as a life long fan, not a hater, just don't bulls**t me, but lets all not pretend this was some sort of 1st preseason game anamoly, this is what you will see most of the season, they will be lucky to win a single game.

But cmon and give me those Mike Brown lovin' excuses....

Same old s**t we've been seeing for 20+ years, it doesn't change folks, wake up.

Why do you think this will ever happen? Mike Brown won't pay centers or guards, what don't you or people here understand about that failed philosophy of his? If he catches wind of a good guard or center, they are gone after their initial 3 year contract is up, this isn't the 1970's or the 1980's.

I am glad you see this major fundamental problem with their operation, but what in God's name makes you think Mike Brown and Paul Alexander, Mrs. Assistant Head Coach, will ever do anything about it?

Nate Livings might be the worst offensive lineman in the NFL, and he is the starting left guard here, he is absolutely terrible, and Alexander loves him.

Kyle Cook wouldn't start for any other NFL team, none of them, yet he is "solid" here? He would not win a job anywhere as a starter, and the Bengals' refuse to draft a center in the first 3 rounds or employ a coach capable of

producing a "good" center by NFL standards, it has never, ever, happened here.

Name the last Bengal center to make a Pro Bowl or be considered for one...just one since the 80's.

Let's deal with reality and quit being stupid, no offense personally - but let's cut out the bulls**t folks.

shula's right about paul the man is terrible needs to go. now i disagree about gruden, i seen more of the what the hell did i get in to look on his face. he probably want to punch paul in the face!

another thing is i know we sat 18 players last night need to get healthy, cut the fodders. spend the time getting the guys that are going to be here ready. no sense in waisting time on fodders the starters and backups need some serious work.

Totally agree with shulasteakhouse! For those of you who say this is just a preseason and that they'll get better, I'd like to play you in poker and I'm not a poker player. I was screaming at the TV last night and my wife said, here we go again. I mean simple fundamental skills aren’t even there. These are professional athletes who forgot how to play football. We can’t tackle (properly), we can’t block, even though the kick off was moved up we can’t put the ball in the end zone on kick offs, we aren’t covering WR’s, QB’s are throwing off their back foot, but then they have no protection!!

The only way we’ll see improvement is if we do a complete over haul of the entire team! Like I said, we were getting the snot beat out of us and the players were on the side lines, smiling, joking around, chewing cum…

Here is what we’ll hear from the team. We had some positives, and we have a lot of work to do. You know what impressed me last night? The Lion’s defender missed an INT; it went right through his hands. The man had enough discipline to get down on the playing field and knock out push-ups. we wouldn’t see a Bengal player ever do that!

The bad thing about this is that there are some players on this team that want to win. Leonard plays tough through every play! The water boy made sure that everybody including the coaches were hydrated! Peko and Ray brought it as usual!