Carson Palmer Thread

NJ29

C'mon now, everybody put your fingertips together and lets type and sing the unofficial Carson Palmer song together. C'mon y'all....

"Awwww, sexy girls...up around the world....you got to shake your hips....and put that ass to work."

Man of his word? Palmer has previous promise to keep

By Pete Prisco

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

July 22, 2011

Guess the author of these words:

"Hopefully this is the last place I'll end up playing. That's so rare in this league these days. It's so rare to see a person have a five-, eight-, 10-, 12-year career in one place. And I feel very fortunate that it looks like that's going to be my future."

What if I told you those words came from the mouth of one Carson Palmer? That might be hard to believe, but it's indeed true.

With the end of the NFL's labor situation coming close, it's almost time to get back to the on-field business of football. And one of the biggest issues is whether Palmer will be true to his word and sit out the season rather than play for the Cincinnati Bengals.

I've had a ton of people tell me that he will certainly sit if he is not traded. I still don't believe it.

Sure, he sold his house in the Cincinnati area. And he has told some that he has enough money in the bank to walk away from the game and never look back.

But Palmer always seemed to me to be a guy who loved the game. He reportedly said something like that when he made his intentions known he wanted out of Cincinnati.

"I don't have to play football for money," he said. "I'll play it for the love of the game, but that would have to be elsewhere."

If he loved the game, he would man up and up play for the Bengals. He sounds more like a guy who would be quitting on his team.

More: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15341423/man-of-his-word-palmer-has-previous-promise-to-keep

Carson painted himself into a corner with his "tough" stance taken to the media. He could have said the same thing to the team quietly and tried to work it from there. I suppose I'm just as confused as everybody else about how this started though as I well recall the last couple of pressure-free games. Games in which Palmer and the whole team could've just showed up. Palmer showed up, and played arguably his best two games of the season. Then, he went home and said "this sucks" I can't play here anymore? I find myself intermittently asking just what the hell happened? Then I remember he's a f**king quitter and kind of lose interest in the question.

Palmer either comes back with his tail between his legs (there apparently isn't anything else there to get in the way) and we question all year whether he's playing for real. Or, he doesn't say jack, doesn't come back, and hopes like hell for a trade. He's either a liar or stupid. Everybody's focusing on how Brown deals with this, but Palmer didn't have to put it in this situation, so how's he going to deal with it?

Everybody's focusing on how Brown deals with this, but Palmer didn't have to put it in this situation, so how's he going to deal with it?

Lighting cigars with $100 bills?

Tropical vacations?

A new Lamborghini?

All of the above?

Everybody's focusing on how Brown deals with this, but Palmer didn't have to put it in this situation, so how's he going to deal with it?

Lighting cigars with $100 bills?

Tropical vacations?

A new Lamborghini?

All of the above?

Sure. Except if he was so pleased with his life as it could be, he could have quit anytime. You think he was just waiting for last season's salary to hit the bank and then he'd "made it." No, I tend to believe the wife stuff as it's the only thing that has really changed since last preseason. There was no hint of any instability or any whiff that the team wasn't giving him everything he wanted. In fact, he got everything he asked for last season, performed below-average to average, and only then decided it was intolerable. No, you only say no (or perhaps threaten to say it) to multiple millions of dollars for a real reason. This could be a case of Palmer ending up being a "bust" based solely on his own choices. If he wants to go out that way he can, but don't pretend he's just so much richer than anybody else that he can walk away happily. We'll see how happy his wife is 5 years from now when she thinks about the money he left on the table so they can drive to day care together.

If he wants to go out that way he can, but don't pretend he's just so much richer than anybody else that he can walk away happily. We'll see how happy his wife is 5 years from now when she thinks about the money he left on the table so they can drive to day care together.

I think it was Brian Baldinger who spoke about this a couple of months ago. How players sometimes talk about the incredibly rare potential to earn "generational wealth" in just a few short years, and how Palmer, despite being incredibly wealthy already, would be walking away from an opportunity to provide his family with an additional 50 million dollars.....a decision that's pretty hard to defend no matter how wealthy you are.

As for what Palmer eventually chooses to do, well....I haven't ruled out the idea that he returns to the fold and is immediately named starting QB again. In fact, I continue to put the odds of Palmer returning to the Bengals at a very impressive 80%. Sadly, that lofty figure is based upon Palmer returning next season. As for this season, I'm putting the odds somewhere between 20-25%....trending slightly downward.

If he wants to go out that way he can, but don't pretend he's just so much richer than anybody else that he can walk away happily.

Why would anyone have to pretend? He is so much richer than everybody else that he can walk away happily.

You asked how Palmer is going to "deal with" the situation. I suspect he'll deal with it just fine. Maybe he'll buy a yacht. And if he's got one already, maybe he'll buy a bigger one.

And if he should change his mind? Well, we know at least one owner who will welcome him back with open arms, right?

Of course, how many fans deal with that will be another story. It's enough to make me almost wish it happens. Almost.

If he wants to go out that way he can, but don't pretend he's just so much richer than anybody else that he can walk away happily.

Why would anyone have to pretend? He is so much richer than everybody else that he can walk away happily.

I mean, of course, relative to his peers, not you. We all know you're broke. :)

Not if his happiness is derived in any way, great or small, from playing football.

Having wealth is all well and good, but if you ask me the perfect recipe for a lifetime of regret and second guessing might start with a star player who claims he still loves the game but is willing to end his own career four of five years prematurely. Granted, that might not be true if the retired player goes on to do great things with the rest of his life. But how could you not have regret if your future is filled with empty afternoons playing round after round of meaningless golf with other retired douchebags?

And again, let's not kid ourselves. If this really is the end of Carson Palmer's career the passage of time won't do him or his reputation any favors. In fact, I think in the near future you'll see and read a steady stream of articles just like Prisco's latest where Palmer's actions are openly questioned and his character found lacking.

Not if his happiness is derived in any way, great or small, from playing football.

If it was, then I think he'd be playing football in Cincinnati and none of the offseason drama surrounding him would have happened. Or, at the very least, he would have worked out a "Boomer" deal with Mikey. The fact that he is by all accounts ready, willing and satisfied to cal it a career and move on to the next phase of his life suggests that his fire has gone out (which, IIRC, is what you've argued before).

I can't say it would surprise me to see Carson back in stripes taking snaps for the Bengals.

It would just piss me off to an unbelievable degree.

I would buy a ticket to go to a game for the sole purpose of booing and heckling him as loud as I could.

He's a douchebag quitter with no fire or leadership ability whatsoever.

Unless someone thinks he's setting a good example for the youngsters.

Would the other players even welcome him back at this point? Benson doesn't want him back. I heard an interview wherein Whitworth, while guarding his language, made it clear that he didn't understand how a team leader could suddenly walk away from his teammates while he was still under contract. Whit made it clear that just retiring was one thing, but walking away just saying you don't want to play with the guys on the team anymore was something the linemen were taking personally.

Would the other players even welcome him back at this point? Benson doesn't want him back.

Benson likely won't be back himself, and we all know why Benson didn't want him back. It' so he can get 35 carries every game because at 3.5 per carry, thats the only way he breaks 100.

Ask Benson what he thinks of Bernard Scott, and he'll probably tell you he doesnt want him on the team either.

Benson is Selfish, always has been.....From U of Texas to Chicago to Cincy.....and he's a dumb criminal to boot.

Please people, let's all do our part to make this Topic reach 100 pages. Keep this Topic Alive!!!

If it was, then I think he'd be playing football in Cincinnati and none of the offseason drama surrounding him would have happened. Or, at the very least, he would have worked out a "Boomer" deal with Mikey. The fact that he is by all accounts ready, willing and satisfied to cal it a career and move on to the next phase of his life suggests that his fire has gone out (which, IIRC, is what you've argued before).

Well, I think it's prudent to consider both possibilities since we don't actually know very much beyond the fact that Palmer claims he stills loves the game and still burns to play, but won't continue playing for this team under any circumstances.

So which version of Carson Palmer do I believe? The one who says he still loves the game? Or the one who says he can walk away easily precisely because of the amount of money he has?

As for things I've argued in the past, my guts still tell me Carson Palmer's frustration is based upon differences with Marvin Lewis which led to an unwillingness on Palmer's part to listen to serious criticism of his play. Coupled with being faced with the first serious fan criticism he's ever faced AND a wife who doesn't like living in Porkopolis, Palmer is attempting to force his way out....into fresh surroundings....rather than stay and confront a coaching staff and a fanbase who no longer looked at him as the Golden Boy. As a result of that building criticism within PBS I believe Palmer sought an easy way out, in part because Carson Palmer isn't about climbing hills. So rather than stay and fight for te rest of his career as a Bengal I believe Carson Palmer deliberatly picked the easiest way out possible.

A passive aggressive power play.

Well, I think it's prudent to consider both possibilities since we don't actually know very much beyond the fact that Palmer claims he stills loves the game and still burns to play, but won't continue playing for this team under any circumstances.

Fair enough. For my part, looking back with 20/20 hindsight I can see signs going back to late 2007/early 2008 that all was not well with Palmer. I don't believe this is a one-year thing related to the fans or Marvin; this is a flame that's been guttering for a few years finally going out. In other words, 2010 might have been the trigger, but it wasn't the bullet.

Hey, I just saw Mike Brown on TV and I have to say that I really disapprove of his handling of the situation. It's not that I'm sympathetic to Carson Palmer, it's just that he started talking about a man's word and honor and what a contract is, and all this tired crap. It sounded like total hypocrisy to me. Have the Bengals never taken a cap hit? Have they never cut a player because expectations were not met? In short, have they ever failed to honor a contract? Why is there an expectation of 100% player loyalty when the player it seems can not expect the same? If I'm off base about this or flat out wrong then please explain on what basis Mike Brown can take his disposition? Is Mike Brown somehow unlike every other owner I ever heard of? I'm a Titans fan. Look what we've done to our quarterbacks. We lock 'em out as was the case with McNair and with Young we railroaded him out of town. IDK. Thoughts?

Is Mike Brown somehow unlike every other owner I ever heard of?

Not at all. In fact, I'm guessing Mike Brown is like most of his fellow owners...at least in this example. In fact, I doubt very many of us could name a single owner who would allow his teams most important player to talk and bluff his way off of the team when there are still four years remaining on his contract.

Furthermore, I found myself agreeing with Brown about doing whatever was required to NOT reward Carson Palmer in any way, and I don't think his use of the word "REWARD" was accidental. Far from it, in fact.

Whenever we debate Carson Palmer's level of resolve the very first thing mentioned most often is the 80 million dollars he's banked already. So of course the very first question that needs to be asked is how much bonus money will Palmer demand in his new renegotiated contract if he's allowed to leave? Ten million? Twenty?

Didn't Chad Ocho Cockbag also claim once that his demands weren't about money, and all he was after was a fresh start somewhere else. Yet after Chad's attempt to talk his way off of the team had failed, utterly, word eventually leaked about the 14 million dollar signing bonus the Redskins had agreed to pay the Ocho if his efforts were successful. Isn't the same type of thing likely to result if Palmer is traded?

And if true, then isn't this yet another example where it IS about the money, at least in part, just as it was about the money precisely when Chad said it wasn't?

I say let Carson retire, and trade him next year at the draft for draft picks. Right now draft picks are not doing this team any good, unless they come with players. So i agree with Mike let him sit, and if Dalton proves he can be a good NFL QB, then trade Palmer next year for draft picks, when they can use them.

I find myself being angered with either way the Palmer situation is handled.

Part of me wants to see Palmer sit and not take another NFL snap, being labeled a quitter for the remainder of his life.

Then the other part of me wants to see the Bengals get something in return for shipping him away.

I hate having this hanging over the team because even if he doesn't play in 2011, this conversation is far from over.

This team needs an enema.

Hey, I just saw Mike Brown on TV and I have to say that I really disapprove of his handling of the situation. It's not that I'm sympathetic to Carson Palmer, it's just that he started talking about a man's word and honor and what a contract is, and all this tired crap. It sounded like total hypocrisy to me. Have the Bengals never taken a cap hit? Have they never cut a player because expectations were not met? In short, have they ever failed to honor a contract? Why is there an expectation of 100% player loyalty when the player it seems can not expect the same? If I'm off base about this or flat out wrong then please explain on what basis Mike Brown can take his disposition? Is Mike Brown somehow unlike every other owner I ever heard of? I'm a Titans fan. Look what we've done to our quarterbacks. We lock 'em out as was the case with McNair and with Young we railroaded him out of town. IDK. Thoughts?

Your a downer. Come back when you're in a manic phase.

Ehh...whatever. I think we all knew this was the way it was going to stay. I guess as I listened to MB's press conference I was reminded about just how non-proactive the man is. He's complaining about the smeared public perception of the Bengals via the NYT, Enquirer, etc. He brings it on himself. He and his family make almost ZERO attempt to connect with the fans through outreach or the media.

Mikey, win a little, reach out to the fans a little bit and you won't have newspapers from LA to NYC ripping your team.

Dips**t.

I just stumbled over an internet rumor from a Seahawk fan who claimed to have "insider" information regarding a trade for Palmer. FWIW, the insider information was apparently from a local personality in Seattle sports radio. Nutshelled, the guy was claiming Cincy was asking for a 3rd and 5th round pick for Palmer. Funnier still, Palmer was said to be willing to become a Seahawk for far less than the 11.5 million he'd be owed this season and next. In fact, it was said that Palmer had agreed to play for at least two more seasons under the same contract terms that Matt Hasselback had turned down.

The best part?

Less than thirty minutes after the fan/insider had posted the rumor the Seahawks announced the signing of Tavaris Jackson.

EDIT: Even funnier, the Seahawks just announced the signing of Matt Leinart.

Who gives a s**t about "loyalty and honor" and all that B.S. if Mike Brown is the worst offender there is???

Just do what you have to in order to improve your TEAM, if guys are wanting to leave, it's because you aren't creating an environment they want to be in or they believe they can win in. This is nothing new here.

When do some of the people here begin to realize that guys are here to get paid because they "have" to do it, not because they want to. No one really wants to play here if they aren't drafted or on their last legs or not getting

anything from other teams.

Free agents are the Pac Man, Benson and Tank types, because they can't get anyone else to play here.

Not trading Palmer is just stupid as hell, and it's an example of the mentality that hasn't won a playoff game in 20 years.

Make all the excuses and put your heads in the sand all you want because it's camp time. (and don't take it all personally or have a hissy fit) :)

When do some of the people here begin to realize that guys are here to get paid because they "have" to do it, not because they want to. No one really wants to play here if they aren't drafted or on their last legs or not getting

anything from other teams.

How convenient of you to forget how Carson Palmer once said he'd be thrilled to be a Bengal and openly lobbied for them to draft him first overall when others around him were suggesting he send the Bengals a warning not to draft him, ala John Elway.

But I guess Palmer had no choice in the matter, ehh? Because at that point he hadn't managed to bank the 80 million bucks he needed to stiffen his spine, right? And I guess he still didn't have a sufficiently stiffened spine several years later when at the very top of his game, and prior to his knee injury, Carson Palmer signed a contract extension that he would later refuse to honor.

Frankly, I don't mind it much when Bengal fans like Kid Steakhouse whine and gripe about everything. Mostly because if I were Kid Steakhouse I'd whine about everything too. After all, it's gotta be a tough break waking up inside that head every morning, right? So I'm inclined the give that particular sucker an even break even when he doesn't deserve it.

But for once maybe we could try to have one of these debates without some dink offering a bunch of outright lies. And yeah, I'm looking right at you, Shula.