3rd Round #1: Jordan Shipley

ArmyBengal

And so we sing....

Shipheads, Shipheads, rolly polly Shipheads

Shipheads, Shipheads, eat them up, YUM!

That's just demented, dude...

Is that a Dr. Demento reference? Probably just a coincidence, Hair is the only one around here old enough to remember that old radio show.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just watched a replay of a college challenge, from before the draft. It had Shipley, Marty Gillard and Dez B in it. Shipley was very impressive and didn't drop any balls. He even beat out the others in a challenge. I loved his punt return last week. This is going to be a solid player for us for a long time. I think he'll be our version of Wes Welker. I am getting really pumped for this season. Hope we get to see more of the starter’s tomorrow night! Who Dey.

Oh! on another note, Madden 11 is the bomb. Didn't have the current roster with TO but you're able to sign him, which I did! When I scored my first TD, the announcer yelled out Who Dey!

Last night's game was rather eye-opening. Ability to get open, quick moves to get additional yardage, and a knowledge of the sticks. And some more burst on punt returns.

Pretty damn excited.

Here is the problem with this pick

You could have had him 3 rounds later

If you fall in love with a guy like this , trade down and pick up picks and its not as bad

This guy is a 6th round guy

if you like him or not

he would have been there in the 6th round

More Whhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Wes Welker is a good comparison. He is actually a more polished slot/route runner than Welker was coming out. He is also timed a little faster and taller. Wes Welker ran a 4.65 forty and is around 5'9" and Shipley ran a 4.60 forty and is around 5'11". They both had great college careers because of their elite vision. They both not only run good routes but know how to sit in the open spot. He instantly takes over as our slot WR and #1 punt returner.

He is just an all around slick football player. It's hard not to like this kids game and character.

Mentally moves "read kentjett posts closer and not just stare at his avatar" up the list...

I am probably in the minority that loves this pick, but would've been fine with Gilyard instead. Definitely better than Caldwell or Jones. Not sure if his speed means anything considering he had 13 Td's and 1,500 receiving yards last year. All I know is the guy was money and very consistent, really liked watching him.

Spot on take from Shula, and a reminder why I wish Shula would spend more time on the board with observations beyond the continual banging on the o-line...

I am not going to rag on Shippley but this pick will haunt us twice a year for years.

Because, we could have had Colt McCoy here and kept Cleveland from getting the guy.

McCoy could have been our QB of the future and and a 3rd round pick is not that high to pay for that ,now he's on Cleveland.

McCoy reminds me of Joe Montana, he is the most accurate QB I have seen since Montanta.

I hope I am wrong but I fear that I am right.

WHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say what you will, but I love this pick. I think Shipley is more of a sure thing than any wide receiver we've drafted in quite some time.

No, he isn't #1 material, but barring injury I'd be willing to bet that he'll be a very productive WR for us for some time to come. He'll take Caldwell's spot on the roster at the very least.

Good take from Skyline...

Great game by Shipley. Interestingly enough, whither Andre Caldwell? It looked like he was running with the 2s/3s last night. Appears that the scenario with him as odd man out is increasing in probability. After all, if 85/81 have the top two spots locked and Shipley owns the slot, and Gresham has the "I'll catch the ball no matter how hard I'm hit" job, I'm not sure what Caldwell gives that somebody else doesn't do better.

What they really need right now is the Chris Henry role, which they still haven't filled (Antonio Bryant is dead to me). Caldwell doesn't do that either. Don't get me wrong, he makes the team - but I'm not so sure he makes the 45. And that says a LOT about the WR upgrade, since he was our #2.

I know it's only practice with Shorts but still seems like Jordan Is getting quite abit of praise.

It's helped. I didn't like the pick one bit, and admittedly had some trouble "moving on"....[cough]....but I'm getting there.

How are you feeling today Hair? Have you yet come to the place where you can put aside your draft day objections and embrace the player wearing the uniform you cheer for?

I'm pretty much there with Gresham, as he appears to be proving me wrong with my concerns. But since I loved the Shipley pick from the beginning, yesterday was nothing but that nice feeling of vindication. You?

He looks like T.J. minus the schizophrenia. I think it's entirely possible that he could have a bigger impact on the passing game than Gresham or T.O.

I know it's only practice with Shorts but still seems like Jordan Is getting quite abit of praise.

It's helped. I didn't like the pick one bit, and admittedly had some trouble "moving on"....[cough]....but I'm getting there.

How are you feeling today Hair?

What am I feeling? Mostly that Jerome Simpson is a badass-in-waiting who couldn't buy a kind word from most Bengal fans. Because as impressive as Shipley has been....Simpson was better last night.

Have you yet come to the place where you can put aside your draft day objections and embrace the player wearing the uniform you cheer for?

Sure. I said at the time that as soon as Shipley began to make plays for the Bengals I'd begin to embrace what the Bengals actually got rather than what they could have had. Or for that matter, already had in Caldwell and Cosby. But learning to accept the latest young pass catcher doesn't really negate my desire for better safety play or a young Pouncey-like stud who could play the pivot. I still want those things precisely because I see evidence they're needed. But that's a debate that has been deferred, ehhh?

I'm pretty much there with Gresham, as he appears to be proving me wrong with my concerns. But since I loved the Shipley pick from the beginning, yesterday was nothing but that nice feeling of vindication. You?

I've never really been bothered by the Gresham pick and only lumped him into the griping when discussing the orgy of picks burned on offensive skill position players who never get an opportunity to play. (Coffman) But there's the rub because there was never any doubt about whether Gresham would play.....or whether he'd be a starter from day one.

I think that the Bengals have found their slot guy. With Chad and T.O. being doubled that will leave Shipley and Gresham open alot..It could also open the door for Bernard Scott to come out of the backfield. Pretty hard to stop the passing game if you got 5 guys who can catch....I'll take 7 to 8 yards per receptions all day long. While last nights game, at least first couple of possessions didn't go well, the team did move the ball until they were forced to cross the 40. That will change. This team is ready to open the season now.

My 9-year old daughter has already put me on notice that I WILL find her a Jordan Shipley jersey...

I'm now picturing a tiny waif wearing a Shipley jersey as well as a model ship adorned Bengal helmet.....complete with masts, rigging, and sails. Best, the nearby crowd is chanting.....

"Ship-head, Ship-head. Rolly polly Ship-head. Ship-head, Ship-head. Eat them up.....Yum!"

What am I feeling? Mostly that Jerome Simpson is a badass-in-waiting who couldn't buy a kind word from most Bengal fans. Because as impressive as Shipley has been....Simpson was better last night.

Better in what way? In showing off the athletic ability to be a deep threat and a potential #1 WR if given enough time and polish? Sure.

In being a possession WR out of the slot who converts 3rd downs like Housh used to? Nope.

Shipley is more important than Simpson right now simply because of the role he's built for. Simpson will have a hard time getting past the likes of Chad, T.O., Bryant (if ever healthy), hell... even Caldwell. Shipley immediately brings a skill set though that the rest of them don't have. And the type of veteran polish he appears to have as a rookie is pretty damned impressive.

For my part... I'll be pissed if Simpson gets cut (especially if it's in favor of Matt Jones), but Simpson is still picture of the future, while Shipley fits right now.

My 9-year old daughter has already put me on notice that I WILL find her a Jordan Shipley jersey...

I'm now picturing a tiny waif wearing a Shipley jersey as well as a model ship adorned Bengal helmet.....complete with masts, rigging, and sails. Best, the nearby crowd is chanting.....

"Ship-head, Ship-head. Rolly polly Ship-head. Ship-head, Ship-head. Eat them up.....Yum!"

LOL!

Better in what way? In showing off the athletic ability to be a deep threat and a potential #1 WR if given enough time and polish? Sure.

Yeah, that and the swagger. I went into last nights game assuming this would be my first real opportunity to judge whether or not Simpson has finally "gotten it". And from what I witnessed, yeah....he has.

Shipley is more important than Simpson right now simply because of the role he's built for.

No argument. But there's the rub because Shipley has been preordained from the very start and IMHO won't have to fight a lick for a roster position. Rather, it's his for the taking whether he's up for the challenge or not. Happily, he seems to be more than up for the task so I've got no real complaint to make in regards to the Ship-head. But if the light truly has come on for Simpson then I'll argue his future importance with this team COULD BE equal to or greater than Shipley's. Furthermore, if there's any truth to the rant about Chris Henry being the key to the Bengals passing game...Simpson's skill set easily looks like the best bet to replace what was lost.

For my part... I'll be pissed if Simpson gets cut (especially if it's in favor of Matt Jones), but Simpson is still picture of the future, while Shipley fits right now.

The future is now.....unless you can point to a better replacement for Henry.

Merged the Shipley love fest

My original thoughts on Shipley were they were bringing in another slot receiver when I didn't really think they needed to. While they could certainly upgrade the position, I thought they should have been more concerned with taking care of the outside WR spots. While I can say that up to this point, I absolutely love what I've seen from Shipley, the outside is still a question mark after this season.

I will be more than happy to leave it and cross that bridge when they get to it, but Chad is on his last year. TO is on a one year deal. Bryant is still broken up a bit. Simpson, while improving, might be to little to late. Jones ?? Question marks. I really hope they put it all together this season with whatever they do, because they will be looking at WR again next year and early if not.