3rd Round #1: Jordan Shipley

ArmyBengal

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, then it's goodbye Cosby. If he puts Cosby out of a job, the pick is more tolerable.

what do you have against cosby :P besides fact hes 2nd year and already 28/29 :P

Nothing. In fact, I was VERY happy when we got the Quan as an UDFA. However, Shippley is a slot receiver and return man. Who's job is he going to take ?? Certainly not Bubba Caldwell's. It's just a matter of numbers and another problem I have issue with the pick. Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with Shippley the player, because I love Shippley, his work ethic, and attitude. It's that unless we can Cosby or Caldwell, it's a wasted pick. He won't be an option for the #1 or #2 spot, so tell me who goes when he makes the roster ??

Ok, then it's goodbye Cosby. If he puts Cosby out of a job, the pick is more tolerable.

what do you have against cosby :P besides fact hes 2nd year and already 28/29 :P

Nothing. In fact, I was VERY happy when we got the Quan as an UDFA. However, Shippley is a slot receiver and return man. Who's job is he going to take ?? Certainly not Bubba Caldwell's. It's just a matter of numbers and another problem I have issue with the pick. Don't get me wrong, it has nothing to do with Shippley the player, because I love Shippley, his work ethic, and attitude. It's that unless we can Cosby or Caldwell, it's a wasted pick. He won't be an option for the #1 or #2 spot, so tell me who goes when he makes the roster ??

I'd say its a camp battle between Cosby and Simpson. If Simpson still doesn't show anything by the end of training camp, he is done.

what do you have against cosby tongue.gif besides fact hes 2nd year and already 28/29 tongue.gif

I agree. He will never be a #1, and I don't see him being a #2 either. I probably would have waited until the 4th to get this next guy, but if they were set on using a 3rd Rd pick on a WR, I would have taken a chance on Mike Williams from Syracuse. A potential knucklehead, and he only played in 7 games last year, but had 49 Rec 746 yds and 6 TD's. In those 7 games, he dropped 209 yds and 2 TD's against Northwestern, and 186 yds and 2 TD's against South Florida. If his head is on straight...that's a potential #1 WR right there.

Okay if its numbers why can't we keep Quan as backup slot 5th or 6th WR typically the last WR is someone who excels at special teams and there isn't a better special teamer then Quan at WR.

Outside1:Ochocinco,Simpson (or Jones or a another rookie)

Outside2:Byrant,Caldwell

Slot:Shipley & Quan

Few things well he's 24 he's was in college for 6 years so alot of learning,His injurys were his 2 first seasons and hasn't had any problems that I know of for past 4 years.

Shipley's new quarterback, Carson Palmer, has been a fan and he texted after the pick, "Love the production in big games."

He won't be an option for the #1 or #2 spot...

If you want someone who can eventually assume one of those roles you draft BPA in the 1st round. However, this is what you do if all you're interested in doing is endlessly churning the #4 role.

It's that unless we can Cosby or Caldwell, it's a wasted pick.

Haven't you heard the good news? It's impossible to waste draft picks if they're used on WR's.

I agree. He will never be a #1, and I don't see him being a #2 either.

The good news is if you keep endlessly churning some things in life they eventually turn into butter. The bad news is endless churning is tiring, and worse....consuming too much butter is bad for you.

I probably would have waited until the 4th to get this next guy, but if they were set on using a 3rd Rd pick on a WR...

So, in defense of the pick you're saying the Bengals used a predetermined draft pick on a predetermined position, and did so regardless of who else was available.

How inspiring.

Lapham: Shipley will start in the slot (courtesy Hobson)

Lapham would know. He’s the national analyst for Big 12 games, a conference the Bengals raided five times for the nine picks, headed by Palmer’s shiniest toys, Gresham, the Oklahoma tight end, and Shipley, the Texas wide receiver.

“The problem with this team last year was their failure to control the middle of the field, to control between the hashmarks,” said Lapham, who predicted Shipley would start the season as the slot receiver. “I don’t care how strong Carson’s arm is, you can’t keep throwing to the edges. The ball is in the air too long. Shipley will be like T.J. (Houshmandzadeh) in the red zone. He’ll be where he’s supposed to be, and Gresham will be another big presence over the middle. He just doesn’t catch it, he plucks the ball out of the air.”

I know highlights are highlights but seriously...how can anyone not see how quick Shipley is in the open field and he catches the ball extremely well.

Everytime I watched UT play, he made a huge catch a crucial time.

I love this pick.

Yep, the guy has game.

I am not going to rag on Shippley but this pick will haunt us twice a year for years.

Because, we could have had Colt McCoy here and kept Cleveland from getting the guy.

McCoy could have been our QB of the future and and a 3rd round pick is not that high to pay for that ,now he's on Cleveland.

McCoy reminds me of Joe Montana, he is the most accurate QB I have seen since Montanta.

I hope I am wrong but I fear that I am right.

i love this pick. shipley to me was one of the best wr's in the ncaa last season. this guy as king put it has game!! big time game. really if you have ever watched shipley play. you would be excited this guy is on our team. my fav 3 was dez, marty and shipley. i am damn glad we got 1 of them.

I am not going to rag on Shippley but this pick will haunt us twice a year for years.

Because, we could have had Colt McCoy here and kept Cleveland from getting the guy.

McCoy could have been our QB of the future and and a 3rd round pick is not that high to pay for that ,now he's on Cleveland.

McCoy reminds me of Joe Montana, he is the most accurate QB I have seen since Montanta.

And when exactly would McCoy get on the field if we did draft him? Carson is only 30 and can play for 5 or 6 more years. Plus, he's under contract until 2014, so he'll be our starting QB at least until then. Drafting McCoy there would've been a wasted pick.

And when exactly would McCoy get on the field if we did draft him? Carson is only 30 and can play for 5 or 6 more years. Plus, he's under contract until 2014, so he'll be our starting QB at least until then. Drafting McCoy there would've been a wasted pick.

Exactly.

You don't draft a player simply to present someone else form getting him.

Colt would be a wasted pick. I think it is good Cleveland took him, so Mangini can screw him up.

I know highlights are highlights but seriously...how can anyone not see how quick Shipley is in the open field and he catches the ball extremely well.

So two years from now none of us are going to be wading through articles and posts about how Shipley can't get seperation from defenders?

Championship game. First half. Doink. Then doink again. [Please insert reply about monster 2nd half here.]

I love this pick.

I do as well, I don't understand the hand-wringing over this guy because of some measurables. Everyone who watches college football should know who this guy is, and every game I watched him in last year, he was impressive, and I remember thinking how good of a pro he could be.

I knocked Briscoe a bit because he had a horrid 40" time, but that's because he didn't play the best of the best and excel like Shipley did against them - but will give Briscoe the benefit of the doubt as well, he was productive.

I think Shipley will be a star for many years here hopefully, and should contribute right away, while improving over time. And barring injury, expect to see a lot of his jersies in the stands on Sunday at some point. Pretty good value pick for a 3rd rounder.

I love this pick.

I do as well, I don't understand the hand-wringing over this guy because of some measurables. Everyone who watches college football should know who this guy is, and every game I watched him in last year, he was impressive, and I remember thinking how good of a pro he could be.

I knocked Briscoe a bit because he had a horrid 40" time, but that's because he didn't play the best of the best and excel like Shipley did against them - but will give Briscoe the benefit of the doubt as well, he was productive.

I think Shipley will be a star for many years here hopefully, and should contribute right away, while improving over time. And barring injury, expect to see a lot of his jersies in the stands on Sunday at some point. Pretty good value pick for a 3rd rounder.

Wasnt Briscoe the #1 WR on his team, that played in the same conference as Shipley?

Here's something to consider.

In the past the argument has been made that players should be drafted that have produced at the college level if you really expect them to continue developing and expect them to produce at the NFL level. Example given a while back was, if you want a pass rusher, find one that has produced at the college level. Why when in need of a sack artist would you draft a guy that got 2 sacks over 4 years in school ??

Well, the same applies here with Shipley and will include Briscoe. They needed WR's that would be able to come in and help Carson. Maybe Shipley will be there sooner rather than later, but both produced at the college level to a high degree and with that being the case, I find it very hard to bash the picks.

Just because we like who is on the roster at this point in time doesn't mean the position can't be upgraded. Shipley and Cosby are best of frinds, so I've read, I love what Cosby brings to the table, and hope he sticks here, but it won't surprise me if he doesn't make the team. It also wouldn't surprise me to see Jones not make the team either.

I love the fact this is going to be a VERY competitive camp at this position because they SUCKED BALLS last year...

So two years from now none of us are going to be wading through articles and posts about how Shipley can't get separation from defenders?

You didn't want a WR drafted at all which would mean our corps would look like Byrant,Ocho,Caldwell,Simpson,Jones & Quan....:P My money is on he ends up being more productive then 4 of those guys "shrug"

You didn't want a WR drafted at all which would mean our corps would look like Byrant,Ocho,Caldwell,Simpson,Jones & Quan....:P

Yeah, those guys AND two new TE's, including one drafted 21st overall.

My money is on he ends up being more productive then 4 of those guys "shrug"

Well, that's the thing about endlessly churning and burning. The new 3rd round pick who hasn't played a lick is always considered instantly better than the 2nd and 3rd round picks you just gave up on.

That said, what's the over/under on how many new WR's will need to be drafted NEXT year? Can I assume it remains steady at three?