Mock Draft Discussion Thread

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get the Saints taking another Defensive End either.....o_O

Do you guys not read the explanations? The pick is about value. You have Maybin who should go in the top 10 dropping to #14. Sure the Saints have Will Smith and Charles Grant but Grant got stabbed in the neck last year, faced charges from it where someone got killed, and he is facing a 4 game suspension for taking water pills. It's pretty simple. The Saints have Reggie Bush and a young RB in Pierre Thomas.

A lot of mocks have them taking Malcom Jenkins...who I was thinking about taking but he was GONE! You can only draft players the way the rest of the draft dictates. In my opinion I don't think Vontae Davis deserved to go that high so I passed.

Knowshown wouldn't be brought into compliment Thomas Jones, he would be brought in to replace him. Leon Washington is already the compliment. I like the pick, but I think on draft day they will roll with Thomas Jones and Leon for one more season and then use a pick on a RB next season!

Yeah, I'm no so sure about the Moreno pick. Thomas Jones is coming off a Pro Bowl and career season and the explosive Leon Washington is one of the best backup RBs in the game. They need a QB or WR in the worst way, especially after losing Coles. They could reach slightly for Freeman or look at a guy like Harvin or even DHB, to stretch the field.

Knowshown wouldn't be brought into compliment Thomas Jones, he would be brought in to replace him. Leon Washington is already the compliment. I like the pick, but I think on draft day they will roll with Thomas Jones and Leon for one more season and then use a pick on a RB next season!

Yeah, I'm no so sure about the Moreno pick. Thomas Jones is coming off a Pro Bowl and career season and the explosive Leon Washington is one of the best backup RBs in the game. They need a QB or WR in the worst way, especially after losing Coles. They could reach slightly for Freeman or look at a guy like Harvin or even DHB, to stretch the field.

Thomas Jones will not be around much longer and you guys are talking about reaching for players which is a big no no. Jones fumbles A LOT and he has a history of injuries. Jones has 2 years left of a 4 year back loaded contract. I doubt the Jets will even bring him back after this year. Then how can you pass on Moreno when he falls all the way to #17?

Many people forget that Kellen Clemens was actually a second round draft pick #49 overall in 2006. If you are going to criticize a pick you really should have a better argument than naming a team's needs without looking at what is available and who is the right value of the pick. I outlined the teams needs, but also gave alternatives in later rounds to fill those needs without reaching for a player with the #17 pick.

I didn't get the Saints taking another Defensive End either.....o_O

Do you guys not read the explanations? The pick is about value. You have Maybin who should go in the top 10 dropping to #14. Sure the Saints have Will Smith and Charles Grant but Grant got stabbed in the neck last year, faced charges from it where someone got killed, and he is facing a 4 game suspension for taking water pills. It's pretty simple. The Saints have Reggie Bush and a young RB in Pierre Thomas.

A lot of mocks have them taking Malcom Jenkins...who I was thinking about taking but he was GONE! You can only draft players the way the rest of the draft dictates. In my opinion I don't think Vontae Davis deserved to go that high so I passed.

The Saints do love to draft DEs in the 1st round, but I see Maybin as an OLB, which they actually need more than another DE. I agree that it's a good value at the pick, although Vontae Davis would make more sense for them, especially after releasing Mike McKenzie. If he can be coached up and improve his technique, he's a Pro Bowl CB and one of the most talented CBs to enter the draft in a few seasons. IMO, he's at least as good as McElvin and Rogers-Cromartie and I think the fact that he's the brother of Vernon and he didn't run as fast as many predicted on a slow Indy track might be affecting his draft stock. The 4.40 forty as his Pro Day should put him back in the Top 15 range.

Overall, I like the Maybin pick for the Saints if they don't go CB and believe he is a Top 8 talent.

This is the worst mock I have ever seen

Maybin to Saints? NO

Ayers to Washington? NO

I don't like your San Fran pick. How can you pass on Malcom Jenkins?

No!

WHy the hell would San Fran pass on Jason Smith? Smith falling to them(which he won't fall pass 2) would be like winning the f**king lottery to these guys. Corner is a need, but not as much as tackle.

Why would the Saints pay first round cash to a DE to already of whom they are paying elite money to Grant, Smith, and even McCray? It makes no sense, and would be the dumbest pick of the draft. In Case you haven't seen their pass defense, it needs help.

The Redskins need a tackle badly as well. Why would they pass on Oher when they don't have a pick in the second round? Besides Snyder loves the big name guys anyway.

Maybin to Saints? NO

Ayers to Washington? NO

No!

WHy the hell would San Fran pass on Jason Smith? Smith falling to them(which he won't fall pass 2) would be like winning the f**king lottery to these guys. Corner is a need, but not as much as tackle.

Why would the Saints pay first round cash to a DE to already of whom they are paying elite money to Grant, Smith, and even McCray? It makes no sense, and would be the dumbest pick of the draft. In Case you haven't seen their pass defense, it needs help.

The Redskins need a tackle badly as well. Why would they pass on Oher when they don't have a pick in the second round? Besides Snyder loves the big name guys anyway.

I was proving a point by saying San Fran needs Malcom Jenkins...they do in fact need Jenkins because they have 34 year old soon to be 35 year old Walt Harris at starting CB opposite Nate Clements, BUT how could they pass on Jason Smith if he fell to them?

As far as giving big money to Maybin, it's the 14th pick in the draft he is a steal there not only as a pick but also for his contract price. You still haven't said who New Orleans should have gotten with the pick. Do you really think Vontae Davis is worthy of #14? In most mocks I have seen that is 5-10 spots higher than they have him rated.

It's shocking to see Michael Oher still available, as another guy who is thought to be a Top 10 pick. It's looking pretty good for Detroit and Army to get the best QB and a future stud at LT with the first 2 picks.

See thats where you went wrong,You thought Oher was a top 10 pick....

It's shocking to see Michael Oher still available, as another guy who is thought to be a Top 10 pick. It's looking pretty good for Detroit and Army to get the best QB and a future stud at LT with the first 2 picks.

See thats where you went wrong,You thought Oher was a top 10 pick....

In two weeks, we'll find out for sure. Don't be surprised to see Oher sitting next to Marvin on draft day. The Bengals reportedly like both him and Andre Smith. In the real draft, he won't make it past San Francisco at 10 and he could very well in up in Jacksonville at 8. The guy is a rare athlete that just needs to be coached up some more as argurably the best 2-way LT prospect in this draft. All four of the top OT prospects (Andre and Jason Smith, Monroe and Oher) will be Top 10 picks in a draft where many of the top players have questions. A Top 10 OT is almost always a safe pick, if nothing else, especially when you're considering guy that can play on the left side where it's harder to find high quality players.

Maybin to Saints? NO

Ayers to Washington? NO

No!

the deal with the skins and the tackles is duly noted. but samuels is 31 and heyer is 33 there is definitely some tread left on those two and they have absolutely nothing at de, aside from andre carter.

i think after the glow of the combine wore off, jason smith's stock fell back to earth as people realized of the top 4 tackles he's the biggest project. i'm as guilty as anyone in getting crazy about combine/proday workouts but before all of that no one had smith rated ahead of any of the other three. he's got short arms and has played in a shotgun offense both of which do not bode well for his future.

in my explanation of the ayers pick i said oher was a real possibility but for the reasons i stated de is just a much bigger need this year. maybin was tempting but i thnk of him as more of an olb, the weight he put on for the combine slowed him down quite a bit. like many have said maybin's got a ton of upside, but the skins are in a win now mode, portis is almost done and as he goes so go the skins hopes of the playoffs

I still think the Skins go OT, they need youth and a big name, so feel free to disagree.

Smith won't fall past the Rams, scouts REALLY love him.

The Ayers pick is possible, but only if Oher is off the board. If they are in win mode, they need to get that tackle to help them get over the hump. Jasen and Heyer arent getting it done on the RT side. They need help.

Wow Walrus took Everett Brown over Orakapo? Something just isn't right :huh:

Folks, first of all let me apologize for holding things up somewhat w/ my pick -- had a family emergency that forced me to away from my 'puter on Fri afternoon/evening (shopping cart mishap involving my 2-year-old -- don't worry, turns out nothing's broken and in fact she now doesn't seem to be in any pain!).

Anyways, when I finally was able to check in, I admit I was shocked that Orakpo -- and J Smith -- were still available. I actually had a whole post written in which GB took Orakpo, but then I just couldn't pull the trigger and switched the pick to Brown due to the coverage/Gholston questions. I agree with whoever says Brown might have the farthest to develop of the top DE/34 OLBs. He may be somewhat raw, but he does have some abilityI just felt like he had such a rare combination of quickness and size -- with the production to back it up. Maybin frankly just scares me since I don't know how he has managed to put on all that bulk except for juicing -- and once he's in the league, he won't be able to keep that up. Theoretically.

Anyways, hope you all had a festive passover, happy easter, or just a good weekend w/ friends and family! I look forward to catching up more w/ this thread and discussion, but it'll have to wait til tomorrow...

COB, your benglas front office interview is scheduled for Thursday, April 16, 9am at PBS.

Dude that is f**king funny!

Can we just give them Josh Freeman QB (Kansas State) or Peria Jerry or Evander Hood (BOTH DTs) or Michael Johnson DE - GT and MOVE ON!!!

COB, your benglas front office interview is scheduled for Thursday, April 16, 9am at PBS.

Dude that is f**king funny!

Can we just give them Josh Freeman QB (Kansas State) or Peria Jerry or Evander Hood (BOTH DTs) or Michael Johnson DE - GT and MOVE ON!!!

They won't take Freeman, I think their pick will be Jerry, but we have to wait the directed amount of time before the MODS take over!

Let's hear a quick consensus on who the Bucs should pick, and we'll move on.