Mock Draft Discussion Thread

I don't get this willingness of NFL teams to spend high draft picks on guys that they hope to convert to other positions in the NFL. If the guy was so good in college at his current position to become a high draft pick why switch him and risk losing that success?

I guess the best way to sum it up, is that it is like dating a hot chick that smokes and parties all night, hoping that you can get serious with her and turn her into a house wife. Very rarely does it ever work out...more times than not she is going to continue to smoke and drink until 6 am while you are left with a broken heart. You can't turn a Ho into a housewife...and you can't turn an All-American DE into hall of fame OLB!

So no All American DE has ever become a Hall of fame LB? What about the current cop of players in the NFL that have been converted.....???

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this willingness of NFL teams to spend high draft picks on guys that they hope to convert to other positions in the NFL. If the guy was so good in college at his current position to become a high draft pick why switch him and risk losing that success?

I guess the best way to sum it up, is that it is like dating a hot chick that smokes and parties all night, hoping that you can get serious with her and turn her into a house wife. Very rarely does it ever work out...more times than not she is going to continue to smoke and drink until 6 am while you are left with a broken heart. You can't turn a Ho into a housewife...and you can't turn an All-American DE into hall of fame OLB!

So no All American DE has ever become a Hall of fame LB? What about the current cop of players in the NFL that have been converted.....???

How many top 10 draft picks can you name that got converted and did well? I can name one from last year that was a complete bust...Vernon Gholston. Why don't teams draft guys that fit into their system instead of drafting guys to try and fit them into their system. Just makes a lot more sense to me.

How many top 10 draft picks can you name that got converted and did well? I can name one from last year that was a complete bust...Vernon Gholston. Why don't teams draft guys that fit into their system instead of drafting guys to try and fit them into their system. Just makes a lot more sense to me.

None, and that is because Vernon Gholston is the only DE since 2000 to be drafted in the top 10 in order to be converted into a LB. In fact, this whole converting DE's to LB's has only become trendy the last couple seasons.

I do agree with you though that you should draft for your system and not based off of skill. Based off team need and what we want to do our pick this season should be in this order:

Orakpo, Monroe, A. Smith, Raji

Vernon would have been just as bad as a 4-3 end more then likely...Unlike orakpo his value went to top 10 After the combine...where Orakpo was considered before combine...

It is pretty simple, Cincy sure as hell wouldn't pass on him and take Andre Smith!

If it happens this way I hope they do pass on Jason Smith, he has talent and great workout numbers, but he does not have the convincing game tape that Andre has. Andre is the #1 OL in the draft and the Bengals should jump on the chance of making him the anchor to the running game for years to come.

It is pretty simple, Cincy sure as hell wouldn't pass on him and take Andre Smith!

If it happens this way I hope they do pass on Jason Smith, he has talent and great workout numbers, but he does not have the convincing game tape that Andre has. Andre is the #1 OL in the draft and the Bengals should jump on the chance of making him the anchor to the running game for years to come.

You know I don't completely buy this dominant running game crap that they are selling us. I think everyone is actually misunderstanding the teams intentions. I think that they just want to be able to run the game again like we were when Rudi was putting up 1400 plus yards every season. We are still going to be airing it out because we have a QB with one of the best and most accurate arms in the NFL.

You know I don't completely buy this dominant running game crap that they are selling us. I think everyone is actually misunderstanding the teams intentions. I think that they just want to be able to run the game again like we were when Rudi was putting up 1400 plus yards every season. We are still going to be airing it out because we have a QB with one of the best and most accurate arms in the NFL.

If we can get a RB to put up 1400 yards a season, that would be a big help in getting pressure off Carson and the pass game. With the ability to pound the ball comes the oppurtunity to open up deeper and more complicated pass routes that have been taken away from the offensive scheme because of a lack of consistent run blocking on the O-line. This will allow the Offense and Palmer to become the unstoppable attack it once was, right now teams line up and make the RB try and beat them, with better run blocking and less pressure on the passing game the Bratowski offense becomes viable again.

So I guess I'm saying that a 1400 yard season by a RB would be dominant for the Bengals offense.

UPDATED:

Aaron Curry, LB

Jason Smith, OT

Michael Crabtree, WR

B.J. Raji, DT

Brian Orakpo, DE

Eugene Monroe, OT

Matthew Stafford, QB

Aaron Maybin, DE

Mark Sanchez, QB

Jeremy Maclin, WR

Malcolm Jenkins, CB

Knowshon Moreno, RB

Brandon Pettigrew, TE

Robert Ayers, DE

Andre Smith, OT

Percy Harvin, WR

Everette Brown, DE

Rey Maualuga, LB

Clay Matthews, LB

Peria Jerry, DT

Michael Oher, OT

Tyson Jackson, DE

Louis Delmas, S

Vontae Davis, CB

Brian Cushing, LB

Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR

James Laurinaitis, LB

Darius Butler, RB

Josh Freeman, QB

Donald Brown, RB

Hakeem Nicks, WR

JungleD made his pick for Buffalo. Kingwilly is now on deck picking for Denver.

UPDATE:

Aaron Curry, LB

Jason Smith, OT

Michael Crabtree, WR

B.J. Raji, DT

Brian Orakpo, DE

Eugene Monroe, OT

Matthew Stafford, QB

Aaron Maybin, DE

Mark Sanchez, QB

Jeremy Maclin, WR

Malcolm Jenkins, CB

Knowshon Moreno, RB

Brandon Pettigrew, TE

Robert Ayers, DE

Andre Smith, OT

Percy Harvin, WR

Everette Brown, DE

Rey Maualuga, LB

Clay Matthews, LB

Peria Jerry, DT

Michael Oher, OT

Tyson Jackson, DE

Louis Delmas, S

Vontae Davis, CB

Brian Cushing, LB

Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR

James Laurinaitis, LB

Darius Butler, RB

Josh Freeman, QB

Donald Brown, RB

Hakeem Nicks, WR

This is the slowest moving mock draft ever. At this rate we might get finished before the real draft starts. For God's sakes why do people sign up to do something then not pay attention and check in more often? I can understand Army's situation but what is everyone else's excuse?

10 picks in and because things are taking so long I have already started to lose interest. Anyone else?

This is the slowest moving mock draft ever. At this rate we might get finished before the real draft starts. For God's sakes why do people sign up to do something then not pay attention and check in more often? I can understand Army's situation but what is everyone else's excuse?

10 picks in and because things are taking so long I have already started to lose interest. Anyone else?

I'm not losing interest, but I do wish things things would speed up. I pick for Arizona at #31. At this rate the actual Cardinals will get their pick before I do.

i agree that things need to speed up a bit. could the admins/mods send email reminders to the people currently on the clock?

I send reminders (PM's and emails) to who is ever on the clock after each pick is made. I'll try to be here as much as possible.