First Pick prospects

Wraith

with 7 losses under our belt we are essentially eliminated from the playoffs so it seems like a perfect time to talk about prospects for the Draft

My new favorite is Terrance "Mount" Cody who played refridgerator Perry this weekend and played FB on a goalline situation. He is 6'4" 365 or so and can move. Cody is the heart of the Alabama Defense just look at the YPC last week before and after his injury (minus the one 62 yard run) 11 rushes for 10 yards vs. 19 rushes for 98 Yards after Cody went down.

Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC: Quick, Big Hitter always in the right gaps

James Laurenitis, ILB, Ohio State: Not as Quick or Fast as Maualuga but more instinctive still a once (or twice) in a generation playmaker

Greg Hardy, DE, Mississippi: An absolute BEAST as a pass rusher

George Selvie, DE, South Florida: Incredibly productive

Ricky Jean-Francois, DT(DE), LSU; at 295 might be a little too Thonton-esque as a DT but he is an animal, I like his swagger as well

Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU; a real three down DE big enough to plug the run, quick enough to rush the passer good instincts, good program

Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida; not really an option in the first but if he slips to the second he would be my choice even if we took Rey or James in the first.

Taylor Mays, FS, USC; it has been since Fulcher in his prime that we had a real impact player at safety and while Ndukwe and White have been playing very well wouldn't it be nice to have 3 impact safeties (4, with Lynch). Mays is every bit as good as Laron Landry was as a college prospect a couple of years ago.

Any of these players will make an immediate impact on the Bengals team, and yes I have no interest what so ever in Moreno or Wells in the First, history proves that effective RBs can be had in the later rounds.

Count on Mike Brown stepping in and drafting the 1st WR or RB in the 1st round he gets his sights set on.

A good GM would draft o-lineman as least twice on day one next year and address the defense in FA.

If he drafts a wr or rb in the first, or even the second, he will have reached a new level of stupidity. Not a new level of stupidity for him, a new level of stupidity for mankind. Henceforth the field of psychology, or sociology, or whatever field tries to quantify human retardedness, will proclaim that in human endeavors there are five levels of ultimate stupidity. Unless your name is Mike Brown, in which case there are six.

Hmmm Michael Crabtree first overall pick? If Beanie finishes the season well I could see him getting the nod. I thought it was very telling that during the broadcast of the game this weekend the announcers made a point in saying that the Bengals were starting Cedric Benson after only picking him up 3 weeks ago...They said it must tell a lot about the state of the franchise. They win the Captain Obvious award of the year in my book.

Hmmm Michael Crabtree first overall pick? If Beanie finishes the season well I could see him getting the nod. I thought it was very telling that during the broadcast of the game this weekend the announcers made a point in saying that the Bengals were starting Cedric Benson after only picking him up 3 weeks ago...They said it must tell a lot about the state of the franchise. They win the Captain Obvious award of the year in my book.

I think it says as much, if not more, about the state of Chris Perry. He will not be in stripes next year. Mark my words.

They win the Captain Obvious award of the year in my book.

Those announcers were remarkably restrained in their comments. They could have abused the Bengals, but they stayed on an even keel. Has anyone heard anything about Polomalu's injury? I hate the Steelers but I love watching him play, and hopefully that wasn't a bad concussion.

Count on Mike Brown stepping in and drafting the 1st WR or RB in the 1st round he gets his sights set on.

A good GM would draft o-lineman as least twice on day one next year and address the defense in FA.

If he drafts a wr or rb in the first, or even the second, he will have reached a new level of stupidity. Not a new level of stupidity for him, a new level of stupidity for mankind. Henceforth the field of psychology, or sociology, or whatever field tries to quantify human retardedness, will proclaim that in human endeavors there are five levels of ultimate stupidity. Unless your name is Mike Brown, in which case there are six.

Mike Brown is a lousy GM but he's not that lousy as to bypass LT and RT on the 1st day draft. After all, he's done it before with Levi and Willie. So he knows the deal.

For one, if he goes stupid on us, Carson Palmer will pull a Chad Johnson. Its his life and livelihood at stake.

Of course Mike Brown is stubborn, so stay tuned. Problem is after 5 years of Marvin Lewis, the team is basically lousy with his guys.

His Oline is junk except maybe one guy.

His Dline is incapable of pressuring the QB. His guys all. Peko is probably ok, Sims needs more pt to find out. The rest could be replaced.

RB is a disaster.

His secondary gets the team killed at least twice in a game with an explosive play. Joesph is a Marvin Bust and routinely gets beat for a big yardage play. Duke and Hall seem to be guys to build around.

The needs are many, the picks are few. 2009 is another rebuilding year, with or without Marvin.

I do now believe Marvin won't be back next year. The stink of such an ugly loss to Pittsburgh will force Mike to move on.

Mike Brown is a lousy GM but he's not that lousy as to bypass LT and RT on the 1st day draft. After all, he's done it before with Levi and Willie. So he knows the deal.

For one, if he goes stupid on us, Carson Palmer will pull a Chad Johnson. Its his life and livelihood at stake.

Of course Mike Brown is stubborn, so stay tuned. Problem is after 5 years of Marvin Lewis, the team is basically lousy with his guys.

His Dline is incapable of pressuring the QB. His guys all. Peko is probably ok, Sims needs more pt to find out. The rest could be replaced.

RB is a disaster.

His secondary gets the team killed at least twice in a game with an explosive play. Joesph is a Marvin Bust and routinely gets beat for a big yardage play. Duke and Hall seem to be guys to build around.

The needs are many, the picks are few. 2009 is another rebuilding year, with or without Marvin.

I do now believe Marvin won't be back next year. The stink of such an ugly loss to Pittsburgh will force Mike to move on.

There's no way that Mike will fire Marvin. Marvin has only had 2 losing seasons in his tenure. The only way Marvin is gone is if he resigns. You're acting like Mike Brown actually cares about winning and losing.

RB is a disaster.

I'm starting to wonder if you have been watching the games. 9 out of every 10 or maybe 8 out of every ten passing plays were thrown at whomever David Jones was covering. It became utterly redundant to hear the announcers say "David Jones now comes in on the nickel package...," shortly followed by, "a completion to so-and-so with David Jones making the tackle." Offenses try not to throw Leon Hall's way, and most of the time they avoid J-Joe as well. The problem is, the Bengals can't get ANY pressure on the QB, even when they blitz, and they leave their DBs exposed to trying to cover a WR for 6+ seconds. Your defense just can't be successful doing that. I don't think the defensive line run any stunts whatsoever, and when someone blitzes it isn't disguised at all. One thing I do miss this season is seeing Ahmed Brooks rushing the QB. He was the only guy the Bengals had that could time a snap count and disrupt pass protection. The only way this is going to get fixed is to get some faster LBs and some D-linement that can take on double teams and still get a push or hold their ground.

Reyrey :P then center/guard with following picks.

Collins can man LT Whitworth can man RT also take a project pick in the later rounds to be bobbies future replacement.

On what basis are you grading Collins? I don't think he has even seen the field yet.

I'd LIKE to think he can be our LT, but I see better than I hear (and all that) and I aint seen nothin yet

Reyrey :P then center/guard with following picks.

Collins can man LT Whitworth can man RT also take a project pick in the later rounds to be bobbies future replacement.

On what basis are you grading Collins? I don't think he has even seen the field yet.

I'd LIKE to think he can be our LT, but I see better than I hear (and all that) and I aint seen nothin yet

Don't get me wrong if there is a dominate tackle this year and we take him i'm all for it,I just wish we'd throw collins in and see what we have rather then waste snaps on levi.

If this organization has a shread of sense, it will draft the best DT and best O-line picks in the first 3 rounds at LEAST. We don't need a damn WR and while we need a consistent running game, it's more important to start building the lines. If the Bengals address the lines in FA, obviously then the draft priorities should be different.

The O-line needs to absolutely be blown up. JT needs to have been gone 3 years ago. Add a stud to play next to Sims.

If this organization has a shread of sense, it will draft the best DT and best O-line picks in the first 3 rounds at LEAST. We don't need a damn WR and while we need a consistent running game, it's more important to start building the lines. If the Bengals address the lines in FA, obviously then the draft priorities should be different.

The O-line needs to absolutely be blown up. JT needs to have been gone 3 years ago. Add a stud to play next to Sims.

That Stud is supposed to be Peko who they just extended in a big multi-year deal. I think the biggest problem is not only the lack of push in the middle, but also that Geathers has not lived up to the large contract he signed. Odom has also not come as advertised. He does lead the team in sacks, but with the Bengals that is like being the smartest kid to ride the short bus. He has 2 sacks on the year...there were some players this week to have more sacks than that. When you have 4 defensive linemen, who can grab and pull and do whatever, going up against 5 offensive linemen who are constantly being watched...someone has to be able to get some pressure on the QB eventually.

That Stud is supposed to be Peko who they just extended in a big multi-year deal. I think the biggest problem is not only the lack of push in the middle, but also that Geathers has not lived up to the large contract he signed. Odom has also not come as advertised. He does lead the team in sacks, but with the Bengals that is like being the smartest kid to ride the short bus. He has 2 sacks on the year...there were some players this week to have more sacks than that. When you have 4 defensive linemen, who can grab and pull and do whatever, going up against 5 offensive linemen who are constantly being watched...someone has to be able to get some pressure on the QB eventually.

Peko is a mediocre starter and a good bench player. Sims will hopefully be a mainstay in the rotation for the next few years. He's looked pretty good so far. Geathers is the same, mediocre....annnnd so is Odom. It's kind of hard to make impact plays during games when your defense is full of non-impact 2nd teamers. The only thing that I feel OK with is the secondary. This team needs a difference maker...a guy to completely disrupt the line of scrimmage. Peko can't do that, nor can JT, Geathers, or Odom.

When you have 4 defensive linemen, who can grab and pull and do whatever, going up against 5 offensive linemen who are constantly being watched...someone has to be able to get some pressure on the QB eventually.

One of the worst, if not the worst aspect of our defense in the first five games was the inability of our front 4 to get to the quarterback. The play usually went something like this:

The normal time when you know we've given the qb too much time passes.

He still stands there looking downfield.

The little stopwatch in your head is going off, by now someone should be on him. Where are they?

You start swearing at the tv. Your wife yells at you to be quiet, the kids can hear you.

You are physically gesturing at the tv, waving your arms in frustration, "What the f**k!!??" you laugh in frustration.

The quarterback throws to a receiver who is open by about ten yards, and our dbs are so exhausted from the marathon they've just run they can barely make the tackle.

I find myself amazed not by the fact that we don't get to the quarterback, but by the incredible length of time we spend not getting to the quarterback. I'd like to blame it all on our Thornton, Peko, Odom, etc., but how can we expect our fat boys to go series after series when time and again we only give them a three and out for rest/regroup? Sims looks good, hopefully he'll stay healthy and develop.

This team just needs to much so many holes to fill and i really dont see them getting it done in the offseason. We dont even know what Wr will be here, or what RB, will be here. The O-Line needs a shift and needs a makeover now, and the defense needs something on that front 4. Sims looks preaty good, but Geathers they paid him to soon i hardly ever notice he is even on the field, and even Odom he is good for a play or two and thats it. I think the secondary is fine and would be even better with a good pass rush.

This years draft i hope is boring they better go O Line and D-Line most of the draft and if there is a good Wr i wouldnt mind that either. They better do something in FA as well to fill some holes, but they never do. I still dont think the coaching staff is good enough thought to teach these young players they havnt so far. Oh well im not getting my hopes up.