Look who changed his mind

jjakq27

“If we want to be like Indy and New England, we have to pay for difference-makers on defense,” Johnson writes for ESPN the Magazine. “Our offense is fine. But if they’re fussing about paying me, a guy among the league’s best, you know damn well the Bengals aren’t (going to) give the defense what it needs. So I just said, `If we aren’t (going to) do what we need to do to win, can I please leave?’ It’s simple. I just told (them): `If y’all won’t change then I have to.’”

Pretty much sums up why I have had Chad's back through this whole ordeal. Not only is he a beast, he speaks the truth about upper-management.

Yeah, we're aware that for you, if Chad speaks, it's written on stone tablets carried down the mountain.

The rest of us? not so much.

True that -- it's funny how two people can read the same thing and see something completely different. Green, I read this as whining about Chad's contract, not asking the team to focus cash on the defense. In essence, he's saying pay me more and pay the defense more too. My guess is -- if it comes to one or the other -- Chad's wanting to get more money for Chad first and last. That's not what superstar players who just want their team to win do. On the contrary, they make moves to re-work their contracts to help get money to the other side of the ball. You can have Chad's back all you want, but he's making it very clear that this is all about his contract. That's why it's no coincidence that he talks about going to places like Miami and Arizona -- all he wants is to make more money. That's okay, just don't BS everybody when we all know what's going on.

My favorite quote was the "I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid" remark. I think the truth is he may be stupid, but he's not crazy. He doesn't even want to give up training camp money, let alone hold out. Dude challenged the team and lost. The only thing keeping him from being incredibly embarassed is his lack of intelligent self-awareness.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“If we want to be like Indy and New England, we have to pay for difference-makers on defense,” Johnson writes for ESPN the Magazine. “Our offense is fine. But if they’re fussing about paying me, a guy among the league’s best, you know damn well the Bengals aren’t (going to) give the defense what it needs. So I just said, `If we aren’t (going to) do what we need to do to win, can I please leave?’ It’s simple. I just told (them): `If y’all won’t change then I have to.’”

Pretty much sums up why I have had Chad's back through this whole ordeal. Not only is he a beast, he speaks the truth about upper-management.

Give that cd player you call a mouth a bump...I've heard this track before.

At least he said it, its about paying him. Pay him and he is happy to rack up 1400 yards, drop some passes and run some bad routes in big games. It won't be long before he starts demanding TO money.

You know what? That is the killer in all this. Yeah, he'll put up 1200-1400 yards, but he'll score what...7-8 touchdowns, 3 or 4 in one game? He has three or four marquee games a year and then looks like you said the other twelve. And we're supposed to be thrilled the team's 2008 season is saved because he's back, even though he was never gone or even going anywhere?

Yeah, we're aware that for you, if Chad speaks, it's written on stone tablets carried down the mountain.

True that --

I can't believe you went 'True that' on everybody. That was great. :lol:

"If we want to be like Indy and New England, we have to pay for difference-makers on defense," Johnson writes for ESPN the Magazine. "Our offense is fine. But if they're fussing about paying me, a guy among the league's best, you know damn well the Bengals aren't (going to) give the defense what it needs. So I just said, `If we aren't (going to) do what we need to do to win, can I please leave?' It's simple. I just told (them): `If y'all won't change then I have to.'"

So what does that get him???? or you???

:excitedgroup::excitedgroup::banana::partyhat::band:

No, seriously, is the scene where the team, Marvin, the fans and the media all bow and praise the mighty Player for deciding to grace the team with his presence and hands this season? As far as I am concerned, I'll take him off of my 'Fredo' status, but he's going to have to show me a heck of a lot before I'll say his name again, and it is way too soon for me to 'let bygones be bygones' and embrace him.

Just know this; he's on double secret probation around here. He opens his trap once to the media; he dogs one play; he goes off on Palmer on the sideline--he's Fredo for good, with no chance for redemption as far as I'm concerned.

Yup

A statement to the fans would be nice.

Its going to be tough on him if he doesn't do and say all the right things. He is on a very thin leash in this town.

I still say he has to earn a spot as a starter. I don't trust him right now not to f**k things up intentionally or not intentionally. Chad has not been found against tough opponents over the years, and has big games against teams like Miami and Cleveland. Just once, I'd like him to put up numbers against the Steelers.

Chad is a great player. No one can say otherwise. That doesn't make him a good guy... or especially a good teammate. I haven't like Chad for about 3 years.I haven't hated him... I've just been a much bigger Housh fan than Chad for quite a while. Now, i can't stand him. He's a distraction who gets frustrated on the field and isn't there at the end of the game when you need him.

I just don't think his talent is worth the antics. Upper management might have been right to call his bluff. He's going to show up and play football... but I still rather have had a couple 1st round picks. Because then I wouldn't have to be pulling for a guy I dislike to succeed just because he wears the jersey colors I root for.

Oh well. He'll score TD's, he'll have big games. He'll be Chad. If the Bengals have a good season, he'll probably be a big reason as to why. But still... I just can't stand the guy - and would be much happier watching him limping off the field complaining of dehydration in crunch time for the Cowboys.

True that -- it's funny how two people can read the same thing and see something completely different. Green, I read this as whining about Chad's contract, not asking the team to focus cash on the defense. In essence, he's saying pay me more and pay the defense more too. My guess is -- if it comes to one or the other -- Chad's wanting to get more money for Chad first and last. That's not what superstar players who just want their team to win do. On the contrary, they make moves to re-work their contracts to help get money to the other side of the ball. You can have Chad's back all you want, but he's making it very clear that this is all about his contract. That's why it's no coincidence that he talks about going to places like Miami and Arizona -- all he wants is to make more money. That's okay, just don't BS everybody when we all know what's going on.

My favorite quote was the "I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid" remark. I think the truth is he may be stupid, but he's not crazy. He doesn't even want to give up training camp money, let alone hold out. Dude challenged the team and lost. The only thing keeping him from being incredibly embarassed is his lack of intelligent self-awareness.

Read it however you like, but if you don't see this comment as a stab at MB, I don't know what is... Mike should've made some moves in FA over the last few years defensively (WE ALL KNOW HE COULD'VE) and he didn't until all the talented players were gone, then we grab a few washed up average players... Shaun Rodgers would've been here if Mikey was more aggressive.

Sure Chad wants more money, that's life, after seeing the coin other star WR's are making now, Chad must feel like he's underpaid, probably so. I'm not a salary expert I just know he's a top 5 WR, maybe top 3. He should be making top dollar.

I don't agree with the way Chad went about asking for a trade. You guys say its about money but there's two sides to Chad unhappiness. One side is the money and the other side is about winning. Two average seasons after making the playoffs the year before is NOT okay. Chad's clock is ticking and he wants to win now. I don't blame him for that. I want to win now.

... The real question here, and someone made a good point about jjoe, hall or dexter, is how much did this piss off the defense. I mean some of these defensive guys have to be thinking Chad dissed them. By him saying head office won't pay for defense, he's pretty much saying they suck. Which is true, but these are still professional athletes with huge ego's... Camp should be a circus!

Read it however you like, but if you don't see this comment as a stab at MB, I don't know what is... Mike should've made some moves in FA over the last few years defensively (WE ALL KNOW HE COULD'VE) and he didn't until all the talented players were gone, then we grab a few washed up average players... Shaun Rodgers would've been here if Mikey was more aggressive.

Sure Chad wants more money, that's life, after seeing the coin other star WR's are making now, Chad must feel like he's underpaid, probably so. I'm not a salary expert I just know he's a top 5 WR, maybe top 3. He should be making top dollar.

I don't agree with the way Chad went about asking for a trade. You guys say its about money but there's two sides to Chad unhappiness. One side is the money and the other side is about winning. Two average seasons after making the playoffs the year before is NOT okay. Chad's clock is ticking and he wants to win now. I don't blame him for that. I want to win now.

... The real question here, and someone made a good point about jjoe, hall or dexter, is how much did this piss off the defense. I mean some of these defensive guys have to be thinking Chad dissed them. By him saying head office won't pay for defense, he's pretty much saying they suck. Which is true, but these are still professional athletes with huge ego's... Camp should be a circus!

Yeah camp will be fun, but so will some big game in October or November when Chad drops a ball or runs the wrong route. I wonder if only Carson will be jawing with him on the sidelines?

The drafting of Simpson and Caldwell will put some heat on Chad to perform though, so maybe he'll have fewer drops and bad routes.

Quit with the "it's about winning" stuff. Chad was interested in going to play for Miami...Miami isn't going to win this decade, Chad was interested in going to play for Oakland...Oakland isn't going to win until Al Davis meets Elvis, Chad was interested in playing for Philadelphia...the Eagles finished last in their division and I would expect that trend to continue.

Cincinnati finished 8-8, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9 the last four years not exactly the 3-13, 2-14, 3-13, 5-12 years that drove Takeo and Corey to distraction and we all know that for a run of incredibly bad luck (see the Tampa Bay roughing the passer call, the David Pollack neck injury, Dennis Weathersby, losing half the offensive line and most of the linebacking corp to injuries last season) this team would have been in the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. Chad is about getting paid and the very real possibility that if TJ's deal gets done he will be the second highest paid WR on his team.

Quit with the "it's about winning" stuff. Chad was interested in going to play for Miami...Miami isn't going to win this decade, Chad was interested in going to play for Oakland...Oakland isn't going to win until Al Davis meets Elvis, Chad was interested in playing for Philadelphia...the Eagles finished last in their division and I would expect that trend to continue.

Cincinnati finished 8-8, 11-5, 8-8, 7-9 the last four years not exactly the 3-13, 2-14, 3-13, 5-12 years that drove Takeo and Corey to distraction and we all know that for a run of incredibly bad luck (see the Tampa Bay roughing the passer call, the David Pollack neck injury, Dennis Weathersby, losing half the offensive line and most of the linebacking corp to injuries last season) this team would have been in the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. Chad is about getting paid and the very real possibility that if TJ's deal gets done he will be the second highest paid WR on his team.

OMG I knew this was coming... CHAD DID NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR MIAMI!!! If you haven't noticed, mostly everything about Chad is an ACT. He wasn't serious about Miami or Washington. That would be a smokescreen. OTOH, he would love the oppurtunity to play for Dallas, New England, Indy or perhaps San Diego. Not Miami.

Like I said, two problems here. Money and winning. Which is more important. Should he put the money first or winning? That's the problem I have with Chad.

]

I

When Chad signed his extension he was amoung the highest paid WR's in the NFL. He can not expect to get a raise every time some idiot owner, pays way to much for another WR. He was very happy with his extension just 2 years ago and his level of play has at best stayed the same, I would contend it has actually dropped off some. If he feels 7 million a year is not enough, he needs to retire and move on.

OMG I knew this was coming... CHAD DID NOT WANT TO PLAY FOR MIAMI!!! If you haven't noticed, mostly everything about Chad is an ACT. He wasn't serious about Miami or Washington. That would be a smokescreen. OTOH, he would love the oppurtunity to play for Dallas, New England, Indy or perhaps San Diego. Not Miami.

Like I said, two problems here. Money and winning. Which is more important. Should he put the money first or winning? That's the problem I have with Chad.

If Chad is about winning, then he should ACT like a winner. Winners don't bitch about losing, they work harder at winning and try to inspire their teammates to work harder. They lead by example and provide a positive influence. Chad is a dumbass, a cancer, and a stain on this organization.

If Chad wanted to win so badly, he'd handle himself just like Carson does.

From bengals.com

Even before the ESPN story broke, the expectations were Johnson would show next week. So much so that the national media is headed to Paul Brown Stadium like there is an AFC North showdown in November instead of a June workout.

Headed to PBS are John "Inside The Huddle" Clayton from ESPN as well as Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports. Others are also expected to declare as the camp grows closer.

Sounds like Ocho blinked, even w/ the ESPN coverage.

My question is, "Does he just love the game, or is he out of money?"

Hopefully he will get some "T.J." attitude and figure it out.

ROSENHAUS SAYS CHAD HAS MADE NO FINAL DECISION, YET

Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2008, 9:18 p.m.

On Tuesday, reports surfaced that Bengals receiver Chad Johnson would return to the team from which he has pleaded to be traded.

And now Johnson is being contradicted by his agent, Drew Rosenhaus.

Rosenhaus, an analyst for Sprint Exclusive Entertainment whose periodic commentaries are available via Sprint TV and, from time to time, on YouTube, claims that Johnson has made no final decisions regarding when or if he’ll return.

“[T]hat’s news to me,” Rosenhaus said, “you know the reports about Chad making a decision about reporting to camp or not asking for a trade, all of that’s a bit premature and talking to Chad tonight, you know, the feeling is that we’re still in discussion about what is in his best interest and according to Chad, he’s not made a final decision yet. So I think that the reports that surfaced are a bit premature and may in fact be jumping the gun. At this point in time Chad has not decided what he’s gonna to do in terms of a trade, minicamp, that’s still up in the air and really won’t be decided until next week.”

So Chad will either show up for next week’s mandatory minicamp. Or he won’t.

This is just getting more stupid by the day.

I'm just interested to see how, if he reports to minicamp, he plans on winning the team back over? I mean, he has to be slightly embarrassed walking into camp. Right?

He should feel embarrassed but that's not Chad's way. He'll still try to garner attention and be buddy-buddy with everyone. The part you discussed earlier about his unhappiness being about not winning is ridiculous. A grown man does not throw a temper tantrum about the fact that his team has narrowly missed the playoffs the past couple of years. A grown man syas to himself 'how do I help this team make the transition from a team on the cusp of winning to a team that is a perennial playoff team?' He's being a baby about his contract pure and simple. :angry:

I'm just interested to see how, if he reports to minicamp, he plans on winning the team back over? I mean, he has to be slightly embarrassed walking into camp. Right?

He should feel embarrassed but that's not Chad's way. He'll still try to garner attention and be buddy-buddy with everyone. The part you discussed earlier about his unhappiness being about not winning is ridiculous. A grown man does not throw a temper tantrum about the fact that his team has narrowly missed the playoffs the past couple of years. A grown man syas to himself 'how do I help this team make the transition from a team on the cusp of winning to a team that is a perennial playoff team?' He's being a baby about his contract pure and simple. :angry:

Your right to a certain extent man, but what if you honestly beleived the ship was sinking at your work and you had offers from other places (I'm not saying he has offers but he could get a deal very easily). If you truly fealt that you were part of a losing team and there was absolutely no way that things could get turned around, would you leave? Would you want out? One man is not going to make or break this team.

Well, the first thing you do is keep it in-house. You don't go public and tell the whole nation that you think almost everyone on your team sucks. You definately don't tell the leader of said team to mind his own business.

Like I've said before, I can understand his frustration. But at the same time, he has to recognize that some of our losses were due directly to his inept play. If you're tired of being a loser, the first thing you need to look at what YOU can improve. Then you try to rally your team with POSITIVE encouragement (you know, not telling them they suck). I'm telling you, if Chad handled himself like Carson this team would be going places.

Your right to a certain extent man, but what if you honestly beleived the ship was sinking at your work and you had offers from other places (I'm not saying he has offers but he could get a deal very easily). If you truly fealt that you were part of a losing team and there was absolutely no way that things could get turned around, would you leave? Would you want out? One man is not going to make or break this team.

I'm not saying that he is the one player that can help this team turn the corner, but he needs to be part of the solution not the problem.

Well, the first thing you do is keep it in-house. You don't go public and tell the whole nation that you think almost everyone on your team sucks. You definately don't tell the leader of said team to mind his own business.

Like I've said before, I can understand his frustration. But at the same time, he has to recognize that some of our losses were due directly to his inept play. If you're tired of being a loser, the first thing you need to look at what YOU can improve. Then you try to rally your team with POSITIVE encouragement (you know, not telling them they suck). I'm telling you, if Chad handled himself like Carson this team would be going places.

Your right, CJ definitely has some maturing to do (IE Randy Moss and Terrell Owens)... Chad feels as if the Bengals head office doesn't care about losing, that's all I'm saying. He feels the same way many of us Bengals fans have fealt for about 20 years! Obviously, we are a team that builds through the draft and obviously its not really working. We have developed some really special players through the draft, but in order to get over the hump, the Bengals MUST get some Free Agents that are worth a f**k! I'm not seeing it and Chad isn't seeing it so he speaks it. Hopefully Odom turns out great. Shaun Rodgers would've been nice. So many FA's have been there for the taking and looked over or missed because of a lack of aggressiveness (ex. Sapp, Rodgers, A. Thomas, ect{Sapp still had a few years left and would've played a lot better on a winning team}). I know its a lot easier said than done, but c'mon. What quality FA's have the Bengals signed in the last 6 years? Dexter Jackson? Dhani Jones?

Hopefully these Arizona flunkies shed new light.

ROSENHAUS SAYS CHAD HAS MADE NO FINAL DECISION, YET

At this point in time Chad has not decided what he’s gonna to do in terms of a trade, minicamp, that’s still up in the air and really won’t be decided until next week.”

This is just getting more stupid by the day.

Chad needs to sit down with 7/11, CJ, Ocho Cinco and #85 and figure this all out. Since there is an odd number of personalities, I suggest that they just go straight majority and do whatever the most personalities want to do. I might even give Drew Rosenhaus a 1/2 vote to make it seem most democratic.