2023 Opponents

HoosierCat

Here’s the lineup, swiped from ESPN:

Home: Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Texans, Colts, Rams, Seahawks, Vikings, Bills

Away: Ravens, Browns, Steelers, Cardinals, Jaguars, 49ers, Titans, Chiefs

Link if you want to check out everyone else: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35378555/2023-nfl-regular-season-opponents-every-team#AFCNORTH

Doesn’t seem line an especially daunting lineup.

20 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I would have liked to see a game with Sewell and Chase

why? who cares now? Chase was the right pick. Sewell is awesome. Both teams made out. It's the falcons who fucked up by taking Pitts and passing on both. I want the Vikings because it is probably a slightly easier match than that Lions team 

The Bengals are undoubtedly the better team in 14 of 17 games. The question marks are KC, BUF, and SF. If BAL drops off as much as I think they will, this schedule looks very kind.

Of course, we'll see where things are after free agency and the draft. I wonder which of those teams will be coming to Cincinnati for the league's 2023 season opener.

They are generally down over here because of their offense. They don't think the Ravens are good as the Chiefs, Bills or Bengals but think they can win one, perhaps. I don't think they are wrong in that. Ravens absolutely can beat us again. Control the clock, play tough D, make it a Tucker type game. Like in Baltimore this year. But they don't think the Ravens can sustain a multi-game run doing that, not without a 100% ready Lamar. 

I've never been a big believer in SOS in the NFL.   Yes some teams are better than others but the margin isn't as pronounced as it can be in High School and College.

The NFL typically see on avrg 4 teams in the playoffs that were not in the playoffs a year before.   I think this year its 7.    Teams can move up and down so quickly the schedule it what it is at this point. 

I'd like to see Cap room of each opponent.  

Clearly the Bengals' opponents are better than the Browns' opponents. That's the beautiful thing about becoming a perennial division winner. I do believe though that all three of the Jets, Broncos, and Bears will be better next season than they were this season. Cleveland better hope they do the same for their own sake.

Well, the Jets finished with the same record as the Browns so that doesn’t immediately seem like a gimme. The Bears biggest problem is their atrocious run D and that shouldn’t be hard to fix. Chicago currently has eight draft picks, seven of which are in rounds five or higher, and that includes the No. 1 overall, which they can trade for even more picks since they don’t need a QB. I can actually see them getting dangerous real fast, especially in the weak NFCN. The Broncos, well, every team needs an extra by week I guess…

1 hour ago, COB said:

There is a huge difference.  Our 3 different games :

we play - Bills, Vikings, Chiefs

Browns play - Jets, Bears, Broncos

I don’t have to squint very hard to see that group being really tough on Cleveland next year…

In truth I expect the division to be easier for the Bengals in 2023 than it was in 2022. The Ravens have been on the slow descent to offensive irrelevance even with Jackson, and if he should happen to depart by any means they nosedive. The Steelers are ever capable and should be taken seriously, but the Bengals have no business finishing behind them. The Browns are about to lose some important core players and are already the worst team in the division. They might rebound if Watson finds himself, but only while the rest of the roster degrades.

Anything can happen, and who knows what the offseason will bring. But that's my immediate view.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

The Roquan Smith trade worked out pretty good for the Ravens, too, even if it does mean Chicago has Baltimore’s second and fifth rounders in April.

Yes they got a great player.  Kind of reminds me of the Steelers getting Minkah for a first.  A lot of picks bust.  Getting Minkah Fitzpatrick was a great use of that pick.

The downside to the strategy of picks for this type of player - you are sacrificing 4 or 5 years of having a player locked into his price controlled rookie deal.

Instead you’ve got a high paid vet using up significant cap space.  For instance, when the Steelers signed Minkah to a new deal he became the highest paid safety in the league.  Likewise Rowan Smith - when the Ravens signed him he became the highest paid ILB in the NFL.  That’s the division we’re in.  It has teams that will acquire great players and pay them when other teams won’t.

• Like 1

Waiting for the Bengals to get a Germany game.  A weekend in Munich is amazing without the football.
Include being able to watch the Bengals and that's damn near a dream vacation right there.

The Chiefs are the only team we play that has a Germany slot, but as Mem mentioned, I think that would be a longshot.
KC isn't going to want to give up homefield advantage in what will probably be a very important game concerning post season seeding.

I would love for the NFL to put the KC/Cincy game in Germany.    But as said before that would be a major blow to KC home schedule.

I would not want the Tenn/Cincy game to be moved.   That's a big road trip for Bengal fans and with the Titans have down year it could be another chance to take over a road stadium.

• 1 month later...