2023 Opponents

HoosierCat

League still dicking around with the schedule.

The NFL has not yet officially announced its schedule release date -- as it had in previous years as the big day neared -- and there's apparently a good reason for that, as fans anticipate the unveiling of the dates and times for games in the 2023 season. Per NBC Sports' Peter King, the schedule may not be finished in time to release it this Thursday, May 11, which had reportedly been the set date. 

The marquee games for the league -- opening weekend prime-time games, Thanksgiving Day, Black Friday, the Sunday night game on Christmas Eve, and the Monday tripleheader on Christmas -- are not yet finalized. The Aaron Rodgers and Lamar Jackson situations may have also altered the primetime slate, as the Rodgers trade to the New York Jets and Jackson signing his contract extension with the Baltimore Ravens were recently set in stone. Both teams are slated for multiple primetime contests. 

The "Thursday Night Football" slate may also look different this year, as the league passed a resolution where teams could play two Thursday night games a season. That cuts down on the likelihood of "bad" Thursday night matchups. The NFL would prefer to strengthen its streaming schedule for its newest broadcast partner, and more eyeballs would go to Amazon (the broadcaster of TNF) with better teams playing on that date. 

Another caveat of the new television deal revolves around the Sunday afternoon slate. Fox no longer has contractual obligations for the NFC road team and neither does CBS with the AFC -- leaving more games available for the doubleheader windows. "Monday Night Football" also changes, going from one doubleheader a season to three. 

Christmas tripleheader? Yeah, you read that right.

For the first time in NFL history, it looks like the league is planning to hold a Monday tripleheader with the unprecedented event expected to happen on Christmas Day. According to NBC Sports, the league is expected to schedule three games for Monday, Dec. 25 this year. 

All right, they finally got their act together.

The National Football League on Monday announced that the 2023 NFL Schedule powered by AWS will be released on NFL Network, NFL.com, the NFL app and NFL+ on Thursday, May 11 at 8 p.m. ET.

Ahead of the release of the full 2023 NFL regular season schedule on Thursday, the following games will be announced:

International Games -- Wednesday on NFL Network and ESPN

Black Friday Game -- Wednesday via Amazon

Select individual games -- Wednesday on Fox & Friends and CBS Mornings

Select individual games -- Thursday on Today Show and Good Morning America

Black Friday game would be better IF it honored the traditions of black friday.    You know first people in the door get a 500 inch TV for $3.   Stuff like that.   Get some mom's fighting in the stands over Cabbage Patch dolls. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Get some mom's fighting in the stands over Cabbage Patch dolls. 

Well, I was in full blown mission mode to get little Abby Jayne for my niece back in 1987 until this soccer mom tried to grab her from my hands.  Instead she got a stiff arm, watching me dart toward the cashier from the tiled floor at Gold Circle.  Take that shit bitch !!

• Haha 2

Here’s the international slate. None for us.

Week 4 (Oct. 1): Atlanta Falcons vs. Jacksonville Jaguars (Wembley Stadium)

Week 5 (Oct. 8): Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Buffalo Bills (Tottenham Hotspur Stadium)

Week 6 (Oct. 15): Baltimore Ravens vs. Tennessee Titans (Tottenham Hotspur Stadium)

Week 9 (Nov. 5): Miami Dolphins vs. Kansas City Chiefs (Frankfurt Stadium)

Week 10 (Nov. 12): Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots (Frankfurt Stadium)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/05/10/nfl-announces-five-games-2023-international-series/70202453007/

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Isn't it just the regular CBS afternoon game?   NYE falls on Sunday this year, right?  The whole league is playing except the Monday Night match up.   Good on the NFL to turn the ordinary into something extraordinary.

The 4:25 windows are the national games of interest windows. So, yeah, it is a Sunday game but will go to more than 80% of the country in the 4:25 slot. 

• Like 1

And when I say "stuff like this" I am referring to CBS highlighting that on their national morning show and having James Brown on to push it and the whole framing over "what makes this rivalry special" which just takes for granted that we are past the point where people express surprise to see the Bengals talked of in such a way and just jump to talking about them as an elite team that of course people want to see. 

I mean...that is night and day from where we were three years ago. And sometimes I find myself amazed at how far things have come. Thanks Burrow. 

Agree wholeheartedly about the national take on the Bengals.  
Fans may be assholes about the Bengals, but I think that's more that they hate seeing us do well.  I think they know that no matter the situation, Burrow is a QB that can come into their house and kick them in the teeth.  Whether anyone wants to admit it, the Bengals have turned into the big kid on the block.  The bully so to speak.

I'm good with that take and yes, thank you Joe Burrow !!

4 hours ago, membengal said:

The 4:25 windows are the national games of interest windows. So, yeah, it is a Sunday game but will go to more than 80% of the country in the 4:25 slot. 

Yeah, right now I would expect at least half their games to be in prime time or the 425 “national” spot. I might have to spring for one of those digital converter antennas…