Offseason Thoughts

cincyhokie

Joe Burrow knows what Joe Burrow can take physically, and he knows better than any of us the value of an explosive play. Watching some of you all whine like toddlers over Burrow's style of play that just led us to within a missed block of winning the super bowl in year 2 of his being here is weird. Like, super weird. I guess we could go back to the days of Dalton. he was safe. didn't try to extend plays. that worked out swell. 

An improved line will help burrow maximize his instinct to make plays. 

Dehner's piece that just dropped in the Athletic and it has a LOT of burrow chatter/thoughts:

https://theathletic.com/3323813/2022/05/20/this-week-in-bengals-joe-burrow/?source=emp_shared_article

For months since the Super Bowl, Joe Burrow was off the grid. Off the media grid, anyway.

He laid low, showed up at a UFC event, in the shadows of wedding pictures golfing in Arizona or in sweatpants helping land free agents at Jeff Ruby’s.

His voice was heard again this past week, loud and clear. He stepped in front of the mic for 15 minutes with media at Paul Brown Stadium on Tuesday and had an hour-plus conversation on the popular Full Send Podcast drop the same day.

Burrow doesn’t like doing these things. He again admitted as much to the guys at Full Send. He got bored, he said, and gave into their request and scooted down the road to record at Ruby’s.

He made headlines, but for the right reasons. As he admitted on Full Send, he’s really good at verbalizing what he wants to say and understanding its impact.

This isn’t news at all. What Burrow provided this week was a reminder.

Despite a narrative of concern that the regression-candidate Bengals could struggle to deal with both success of last year and the failure of losing the Super Bowl, there was their leader, cool as ever, sending the ideal message in the smoothest ways possible.

• “I am not going to accept losing.”
• “I watched (the Super Bowl) the next day. I just treated it like any other game week that week after. I watched it the day after and saw the things I need to improve and the things we did well and moved on.”
• “I’ve played in state championships, played in a ton of big games in college and at the time, those are the biggest games of your life, just like the Super Bowl was. I’ve lost a bunch of those games before it. I know how to handle losing and come back stronger.”
• “We have the experience now. Going into last year, we knew we were good, but I think going into the playoffs, we knew we could win but we weren’t really sure what it took. We just went out there and played really hard and together as a team and it worked out. Now, we know what it takes and we have that experience in our back pockets going forward.”

Confidence. Focus. Stability. Reinforcing the standard.

All four traits will be integral parts of recalibrating for 2022 and carry over the momentum from the end of the year.

Sure, Burrow was answering questions from us. He was also speaking directly to the locker room delivering the perfect message.

Nobody should be shocked Burrow said all the right things. That’s part of what makes him the entire package and an invaluable gift that keeps on giving. It’s also why so many of the narratives about the Bengals being lucky or a fluke don’t compute to those who’ve paid close attention to the inner workings of this franchise.

Burrow’s innate ability to portray the necessary message of the coaches and another year of understanding what it takes to reach the end goal is the ultimate Kryptonite to complacency.

This week was the latest reminder of that.

“What I try to do as a leader is put some heart into what Zac (Taylor) has to say to the team and take my spin of it,” Burrow said. “I think that’s the quarterback’s job to portray the message that the head coach is bringing down and trickle it amongst the locker room.”

Whether being asked to start and lead immediately as a rookie, bounce back from a gnarly ACL injury or recenter a team coming off a loss in the Super Bowl, you get the same casual, confident, competitive focus on the work that’s driven every step of his success. And consequently, the rejuvenated success of this organization.

Even as the Vegas odds turn against the Bengals, his return to the public eye restored the 2021 mantra: Don’t bet against Joe Burrow.

This week in Burrow
Much of this week has been all about Burrow, but two other comments from him this week stuck out.

Yeah, I asked about the crackers and the cupcakes. They were mostly to keep things light, but the lead-up was really in curiosity about his view on the latest round of recruitment during free agency. He’s spoken before about his appreciation for being involved in the process. So many times across the league we see this lack of involvement in the process a part of the frustration that forces quarterbacks to air grievances with their teams or even request trades.

I thought Burrow’s answer was revealing in terms of how important nights like the crackers and cupcakes party are to him.

“That’s something I want to do every year,” he said. “I want to make sure the guys we are looking to bring in feel at home in Cincinnati and with the team because that is the culture we are building in the locker room. We are really, really close as a team, coaching staff, players, strength staff, trainers. I just want to portray that to the guys that are thinking about coming here and that we want to sign.”

Not something he has to do. Something he wants to do. There are different levels you see this same sentiment play out at by other quarterbacks. There’s the welcome to the team texts. There’s even making a phone call or a video. There’s trying to recruit every available free agent on Twitter.

Then there’s wanting to be a part of the hosting of the players every year to make sure everyone is aware of the culture they are selling. That stuff matters. It matters to the coaches. It matters to the front office. And it definitely matters in the new pieces immediately feeling welcome to a new home.

Part 2
Burrow also was asked about playing Tom Brady this year. Specifically, the question revolved around watching and learning from the greatest of all time.

The stock answer would be something about watching him play, admiring him and trying to emulate some aspect of his game. This was particularly insightful to Burrow’s nuanced approach to position and self-improvement.

“I’ll try to take things here and there from different people,” he said. “But I’m really focused on finding my routine and everything that I do to be the best me. And I don’t think I can take something that makes Tom Brady great that might not make Joe Burrow great. So maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. You know, I listen and study all these things and maybe it works, maybe it doesn’t and I try a lot of different things. But going back down the stretch to the season and talking and thinking about all the things you’ve worked on in the offseason, you throw some out because you think, no, I don’t have time to really refine this, to get it ready to go by the season. So some things will stick, some things won’t.”

Overly researched stat of the week
On the Full Send podcast, Burrow was talking about how he doesn’t like the sack stat because not all sacks are created equal. He specifically mentioned third-down sacks don’t matter as long as they don’t take you out of field goal range. He’s always going to try to extend the play to get a first down, specifically in the red zone. He’s talked about this before, in fact, Jay Morrison did a deep research dive on the topic when Burrow talked about it at the end of the regular season.

In that breakdown, the 51 regular season sacks filtered by down were as such:

• First: 17
• Second: 12
• Third: 21
• Fourth: 1

Only one of the third-down sacks took them out of field goal range (Week 2 against Chicago). That doesn’t mean every third-down sack was a matter of Burrow trying to extend the plays, but you can see the significant portion of them coming in those situations. Jay breaks them down much deeper in the story.

When doing the same breakdown of the 19 sacks in the postseason, they split up this way:

• First: 6
• Second: 5
• Third: 8
• Fourth: 0

Again, only one of the third-down sacks took them out of field goal range (at Tennessee).

None of this is to make excuses for the line play last year, but merely to back up Burrow’s point about his mentality and style of play affecting the sack stat. One of the primary reasons he thinks it’s an overblown stat.

Without question, a look at more specific analytics like pass block win rate, pressure percentage and even PFF pass-blocking grade paint a far better picture of true performance than sacks. The idea that Burrow will suddenly be one of the least-sacked quarterbacks in the NFL this year because of an improved line isn’t true as much because of his view of the stat and mentality on third downs as anything. That’s not changing.

• Like 1

Facts vs. feelings or something like that 70 sacks vs. how someone feels about them are two different things trying to be viewed simultaneously.

I FULLY understand that the majority of his sacks came on 3rd down and I have zero issue with him trying to do something while extending the play.
I want to see him continue to attempt making plays with his feet.  We have very good skill position players to match his style of play.

However, there's no getting around the fact that he took 70 sacks and the team knowing they can't risk him getting hit that fucking much.
Again, if they weren't concerned, you wouldn't be looking at 3 brand new free agents being installed as starters without a single word.
You wouldn't see the club spending the 78 or whatever million they spent this year on that one area.

So again, I want and like Burrow making things happen.  I don't want him getting hit that much.
Even taking away ALL the 3rd down sacks, still has him slightly above average in taking sacks when compared to the other QB's in the league.

Regardless of how anyone feels about it, please put me in the camp HAPPY to have a mostly brand new o-line in 2023.
Let's fucking get after it !!

The weird thing about this offseason.    Before they drafted Joe there was a lot of talk about Bengals ruining Joe.   Joe being too good for the Bengals refuse to be drafted by Bengals.

So Bengals draft Joe.  Joe proves to everyone that he was what they said.   So....

Eh, Bengals were a fluke.

Makes sense.

On 6/5/2022 at 10:18 AM, ArmyBengal said:

Think it’s been discussed but saw an article projecting the 53 man roster and the WR corps seriously lacks depth outside of Chase, Higgins and Boyd.

Just have to keep one eye on future prospects…

20 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Just have to keep one eye on future prospects…

IDk, I like Thomas, Irwin and Taylor as #4-#6 types on any team really.   Morgan I'm not as impressed with, but know he's a good ST'er. 

They'll have to find a Boyd replacement as I can't see them paying for all 3 into the future,  who knows, but I will really miss that dude if he leaves after next season.  Injuries will happen to one of the top 3 most likely at some point (last year seemed like anamoly of good fortune in that regard across the board) but when you have Burrow, he can make all those guys better than they are I think.  I'm much more concerned with LB and OL depth, even DT if they lose one guy (they need to sign someone there still).

But yeah it'd be a bit wild if Henry Jr. turns out to be anything skill-wise like his father and ends-up playing here somehow.  Hope he chooses the Bucks if he gets to that level in HS.

• Like 1

I think Henry just got an offer from Ohio State (not sure sometimes people can misunderstand).    However, if he did get an offer that is big news because that program has been loaded WR wise for a couple years.    Good eye for pro talent up there.

• Like 1

Henry will be a freshman this year.  A 6'3-6'4ish freshman at about 170-175lbs and ran a 4.5 forty.
They moved out to the West Clermont area because Pac-Man lives out that way and he will play for the West Clermont high school this fall.
Another connection is Henry Sr. and Pac-Man's teammate from West Virginia Dee Alston, who is the asst. head coach and West Clermont's OC.
I'll be out to watch the kid play this season for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Not Bengals offseason thoughts, but...

Has anyone watched any of Goodell's testimony?  I saw the part where representative Jordan from Ohio was asking questions.
If anyone wants to truly know why the commissioner makes so much money, that small 5 minutes was a perfect example.
Took the heat for everyone else surrounding the questions being asked.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:34 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Not Bengals offseason thoughts, but...

Has anyone watched any of Goodell's testimony?  I saw the part where representative Jordan from Ohio was asking questions.
If anyone wants to truly know why the commissioner makes so much money, that small 5 minutes was a perfect example.
Took the heat for everyone else surrounding the questions being asked.

Didn’t watch it, what was he being asked?

• 4 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Stripes said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34275993/arizona-cardinals-star-kyler-murray-agrees-2305-million-deal-now-nfl-richest-qbs-source-says

Murray extended for $230.5 million, but only $160M guaranteed. A little sanity that might help to mend what Cleveland broke.

Burrow is going to demand a half a billion dollars.

• 3 weeks later...

You never know how the league’s annual “ref points of emphasis” crap is going to play out, but this year’s are illegal contact and roughing the passer.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34368701/nfl-asks-field-officials-focus-illegal-contact-fouls-2022-season

With our WR corps you’d think that an illegal contact emphasis would be good for the Bengals…but it’s so often a ticky tack call I could see it burning us just as much.

The roughing emphasis is on the fact that shots at the head and below the knees have to be forcible, versus minor contact. The Bengals have had a knack for drawing flags for what look like perfectly legit hits, so maybe that works for us.

As we all know Bengals beat the Raiders in the playoffs.   IF the Raiders would have ended up scoring on that final drive and eventually winning the game in OT; Bengal fans across the universe would be screaming about the roughing the passer call Carr head jerked to get.  I don't even think a Bengal defender touched him. 

Roughing the passer is so technical  it needs to be reviewed, period.    Of course add that to the list of extending down time on the broadcast.