2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

6 minutes ago, COB said:

Mike Brown concurs.  Though you can expect a corner in there somewhere.  

Mike is trading all the 2022 picks for future selections. Can’t afford any more players atm. Doncha know the Bengals lose money every time they go to the Super Bowl? Mike is bleeding out financially as we speak! Do you know what a loaf of bread costs in LA? Nope, after this weekend it’s cut everyone and league minimum players only for next season.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Trevor Penning is a brute, nasty disposition wants to destroy people.

All of this said, if we are in a win now mode you have to fix the oline via FA and draft for depth.  We need to sign a free agent tackle and guard.

agreed

we need to protect him in the future too, tho, so......the draft :-)

Another thing I wonder is how creative they might be in regards to ensuring Burrow doesn't get sacked 50+ times next year?

By that, if you take a look at Unrestricted FA o-linemen in  2023 and 2024, there are some interesting names.
Would they consider swinging a trade to bring in someone a little more established but young enough to sign to a longer deal?
That would kind of kill two TJ birds with one stone.  Protect Burrow now and into the future.

Of course still adding in the draft, but thought that is another way of fucking this chicken.
Bottom line is... I want to see feathers fly.

• Like 1

I think my creative approach would be something like "by whatever means necessary, throw as many capable bodies as possible, via FA, trades, and draft, in the direction of Frank Pollack and hope that a reasonable proportion of them work out, because if they do there's nothing on paper stopping another Super Bowl run right away".

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Wondering if Chrisman being signed this early for camp fodder means anything in regards to Huber (don't know his contract status off-hand).

Huber is a FA could retire.   I think preseason the expectation was for Chrismsn to beat him out until injury. 

Huber may not be in the pro bowl year in and year out, but he's still a more than solid punter in the league.

This season he averaged 46.4 yards per punt, which was 13th in the league and less than half a yard from top 10.
It's not like that was on a few punts either, as he was in the top 10 for most punts in the league.  That's consistency...
1/3 of his punts were dropped inside the 20 yard line as well and he has continued his consistency there as well.

He's also the holder for McPherson and that has worked out pretty well this year.
He cost the team 1.6 million last year and at 36 years old, I don't think we would be signing him to a 5 year deal.
I would however like to see him return for another season with an option for two.

That's all predicated of course on him not hanging up his cleats since he's a free agent.
Winning a Super Bowl might have that "Riding into the Sunset" appeal to him.

28 minutes ago, COB said:

For some reason I was under the impression this was Hubert’s last year.  Maybe the lack of a contract extension?  I can’t recall but it seems like he intimated he was done after this season.

13 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Huber is a FA.

I pulled this list of Bengals 2022 free agents so folks can copy and paste to use in comment posts (who should we try to re-sign and/or not try to keep, etc etc whatever)

TE C.J. Uzomah
OT Riley Reiff
OG Quinton Spain
FS Jessie Bates III
CB Eli Apple
CB Vernon Hargreaves III
CB Tre Flowers
DT Larry Ogunjobi
DT B.J. Hill
DT Josh Tupou
QB Brandon Allen
WR Mike Thomas
WR Auden Tate
LB Jordan Evans
CB Jalen Davis
CB Darius Phillips
FS Ricardo Allen
LS Clark Harris
P  Kevin Huber
CB Trae Waynes
OG Xavier Su'a-Filo
WR Stanley Morgan (RFA)
OT Fred Johnson (RFA)
WR Trenton Irwin (ERFA)
TE Mitchell Wilcon (ERFA)
DE Wyatt Ray, EDGE (ERFA)
LB Clay Johnston (ERFA)

I only want to make two immediate comments here:

1. I don't hear much from Hill, ie the DT we got in the trade for Price.  He's relatively quiet.  I figure he'll want to go elsewhere, despite the great success he's had here.  Might well think of himself as a one-year rental, and with a career year under his belt, go sign where he personally wants to play.  I hope we push hard to keep him

2. Huber.  Love Huber.   But I see him going out - retiring - "on top" as either Superbowl Champion or otherwise AFC Conference Champ.   I like Chrisman quite a bit, tho....and I do see him as our Punter in 2022

Ill have more later :-)

EDIT: added XSF and Waynes.  dont know how they missed the list.  Thanks Wraith.

TE C.J. Uzomah
OT Riley Reiff
OG Quinton Spain
FS Jessie Bates III

CB Eli Apple
CB Vernon Hargreaves III
CB Tre Flowers
DT Larry Ogunjobi
DT B.J. Hill
DT Josh Tupou
QB Brandon Allen
WR Mike Thomas
WR Auden Tate
LB Jordan Evans
CB Jalen Davis
CB Darius Phillips
FS Ricardo Allen
LS Clark Harris
P  Kevin Huber
WR Stanley Morgan (RFA)
OT Fred Johnson (RFA)
WR Trenton Irwin (ERFA)
TE Mitchell Wilcox (ERFA)
DE Wyatt Ray, EDGE (ERFA)
LB Clay Johnston (ERFA)

Bold are the guys I keep, everyone else is meh.....We also cut ties with Xavier Sua-Filo and Trae Waynes.  I believe Zach Kerr and Damion Square are also FA.

30 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

TE C.J. Uzomah
OT Riley Reiff
OG Quinton Spain
FS Jessie Bates III

CB Eli Apple
CB Vernon Hargreaves III
CB Tre Flowers
DT Larry Ogunjobi
DT B.J. Hill
DT Josh Tupou
QB Brandon Allen
WR Mike Thomas
WR Auden Tate
LB Jordan Evans
CB Jalen Davis
CB Darius Phillips
FS Ricardo Allen
LS Clark Harris
P  Kevin Huber

* WR Stanley Morgan (RFA)
* OT Fred Johnson (RFA)
* WR Trenton Irwin (ERFA)
* TE Mitchell Wilcon (ERFA)
* DE Wyatt Ray, EDGE (ERFA)
* LB Clay Johnston (ERFA)

All with an * at the bottom probably come back unless the coaches decide to churn the roster at those position groups.

Those I bolded are the ones I would like to see back in 2022.
Everyone else can be churned, but if they hold onto some of them, I understand that as well and won't really complain.