Season turning point is here. Do they trend up and make the playoffs or fall apart?

cincyhokie

Season turning point is here. Do they trend up and make the playoffs or fall apart?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Last 5 games. Do they go up or down from here. What's the record and playoff result?

• 5-0 and division title
    • 4-1 and wild card/division title
    • 3-2 and wild card/division title
    • 3-2 no playoffs
    • 2-3 no playoffs
    • 2-3 make wild card
    • 1-4 no playoffs
    • 0-5 no playoffs

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

Sure. But how does that let ZT off the hook for giving them a Monday off? Again, the Steelers win was just one piece on a path. It didn't get them anywhere. And the discipline and focus (if that is how you want to interpret Hilton)...how is giving them that day off helping get that discipline and focus? I just think it sent the wrong ***damn message is all. 

Well, it clearly didn’t help given the results since. I just think there’s more to it. The team needs guys like Hilton, Reiff, Hendrickson, Reader and Awuzie, all of whose have been in and in some cases even (holy crap!) won playoff games to mentor some of the younger guys on how to approach these games. And yeah, “days off” aren’t likely to be part of that.

While they may have been close a couple times this year, they have yet to win 3 in a row.
It's been quite some time (I think) since a Bengals team has strung 3 in a row together.
Expecting 4 with that schedule seems unlikely, but if they manage that, they will be the "hot" team going into the playoffs strong.
I would be totally freaking out if that was the case, but will admit that I would be equally fearful they would be reading their own press.

You know, I hate the conservative play calling.  I was pretty miffed when we did three straight run at the start of the half.  I do however understand what they are doing.  

This team has never had a QB like Burrow, he is the complete package and he is coming off major knee surgery that would have cost most normal humans two full seasons (Teddy Bridgewater).  I think there is an element of making sure, particularly with the insane pass rushers we have been facing, that we establish the run to take the pressure off a little bit.  Kinda like they went into this season prepping for the next one. 

I want, in the off-season, Zac to give up play calling duties and hand that off to Brian Callahan.  I also want the organization to put more trust in Burrow, give him three plays to choose from and put the game in his hands, particularly in crunch time. 

This all said, I see growth which is what I want to see.

• Like 1

The Bengals this year remind me of ArmyBengal Jr. who is now a high school freshman.

After bringing home straight A's in the first quarter, it was a smattering of A's, B's and a C tossed in there.
He wasn't pleased when I gave him "a little" grief.  I told him, well now we know what you are capable of.
He changed the standard and in turn, the expectations. Why be happy with less, when you know you are capable of more?

That's been the Bengals this year.  It's not that I'm displeased over all, but this team is capable of being better than 7-6.
They swept the Steelers and beat the Ravens.  Sorry, but that changed the standard and in turn, my expectations.
Maybe i'm wrong.  God knows it wouldn't be the first time...

Its been the same all year.    They've had a negative TO ratio the entire season and never a losing record.   In addition the QB getting hit at a high rate which isn't exactly causing the TOs or at least recently.

For this to exist you are getting above normal production from somewhere.   You see this with Russ Wilson and Lamar Jackson.    

If they can buck this trend all the way to the playoffs, great.   However I think we have to start eliminating the negative plays from the offense to see the post season.  

I see a very young team (7 starters playing in the first or second season, a whopping 9 other starters in their first or second season with the team) learning how to play complementary football and how to win close games.  I see two steps forward, one step back which while frustrating is still making progress.   The offense in week 14 is loads better than they were earlier in the season.

I think what makes this season sooooo frustrating to me isn't just the maddening inconsistency of the Bengals, but the background against which it's occurring.

Imagine this a normal NFL year. Here in the AFCN, the Steelers and Ravens have 9-10 wins already and are both bound for the playoffs, it's just a question of who is the division champ and who is the wild card. In the AFCE the Pats are running riot, in the west the Chiefs are making another bid for an undefeated season, etc. In that reality, a 7-9 win Bengals squad is fine. They get another year of experience under their belt and hopefully a fully recovered Burrow with a full offseason not focused on rehab enables them to contend in 2022. It's not what we hoped for, but, barring a miracle, it wasn't like they were going to win anything in that reality anyhow.

But that's not this year. This year the North and its home playoff game is theirs for the taking. The Ravens have been decimated by injury and the Steelers have been decimated by Big Ben. The Clowns are underperforming as usual. And all around the league even the top teams have not appeared (and in fact not been) unbeatable. And the Bengals got off to a hot start and managed to stay surprisingly healthy, two things that can never be counted on in Cincy. It's hard to imagine things falling their way much more.

It's hard enough to steal a game in the NFL. This year, the Bengals find themselves set up to swipe at least a division title, and maybe more, who knows, given how unpredictable things have been this year. They need to close the deal.

Bengals proved with Marvin/Tobin they could add talent/develop talent to participate in the NFL parity.    At some point they qualified for playoffs at greater rate than their fair share in a parity system.

Zac/Tobin they have at least shown signs that maybe they could participate in that cycle again.   We'll see.  No frustration (with the season as a whole) , yet but still have 4 tough games.

Really interesting down the stretch. Bengals need to likely win 2 more games, going 2-1 the rest of the way, to get the division. 

Bengals 8-6: Ravens, Chiefs, @Browns

Ravens 8-6: @Bengals, Rams, Steelers

Browns 7-6:  Raiders, @Packers, @Steelers, Bengals

Assuming the Steelers lose @Chiefs this weekend, they’ll effectively be eliminated at 7-7-1.

Each team has a game that “seems” to be a loss. Chiefs, Rams, Packers.

The team that wins their remaining division game looks to win the division (for the Browns only if they beat the Raiders).

I think we want Steelers to beat browns next week to take browns off the table. And of course rams to beat ravens. That would set up a ravens win over Steelers in baltimore in week 18 would put us in no matter what. Even if we didn’t win another game. 

If they would just go ahead and find a way to KC next week, that would solve a lot of problems

On 12/26/2021 at 9:28 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Just heard the breakdown and the Bengals have to win one of their last two and they won the division. 

Just put the ball in Burrow’s hands to manage and don’t get cute.

That's what they did. All traces of Melvin Lewis and "Melvin Ball" have left the stadium. This team has played to win the last 3 games.