Week 2: Bengals @ Bears Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

3 minutes ago, COB said:

Fun game to watch.  The ravens will get better, I’m sure.  But that team tonight, the Bengals can play with that team.  

Liscow made a good point on twitter - the RB injuries showed up big time in lack of picking up blitzes. That may be a bit of a problem going forward. And they missed Marcus Peters. BADLY. 

• Like 1

You want to see a fan base into a panic? Check out a fanbase realizing just how bad Villanueva to RT was as a plan…

https://forum.russellstreetreport.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Ravens-24x7

(there’s a lot of fun threads there in that forum to peruse if you have time coming off of last night’s game…)

6 hours ago, COB said:

Fun game to watch.  The ravens will get better, I’m sure.  But that team tonight, the Bengals can play with that team.  

Yup. Cleveland looks pretty good, but the Ravens and Steelers don’t scare me. But one game at a time. Let’s beat the Bears!

This is a glorious morning for me in baltimore obviously.

don’t get many of these at work where bengals have won and ravens lost this early in the season. 

if you want to stream anger - 105.7 The Fan 

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/listen#schedule

• Like 1

The Bengals are a more talented team than the Bears right now. I'm not worried about whether the Bears will be motivated. I'm far more concerned about the Bengals letting a big emotional win go to their heads. This team never seems to handle success well, and this is exactly the place I'd usually expect them to lay an egg. On top of that, we have the Steelers coming up in week 3, so it's a classic trap game as well. Despite all that I find myself strangely confident of a win, which is the scariest thing of all.

24 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

The Bengals are a more talented team than the Bears right now. I'm not worried about whether the Bears will be motivated. I'm far more concerned about the Bengals letting a big emotional win go to their heads. This team never seems to handle success well, and this is exactly the place I'd usually expect them to lay an egg. On top of that, we have the Steelers coming up in week 3, so it's a classic trap game as well. Despite all that I find myself strangely confident of a win, which is the scariest thing of all.

I am hopeful the current QB will help fix that issue...

• Like 1

Same.

Today's fun fact from Hobs:

According to Elias Evan McPherson is not only the youngest Bengal to kick a field goal, but at 22 years and 53 days he's the youngest to kick a winning field goal in overtime. He was three months younger than Pete Stoyanovich when he beat Cleveland for the Dolphins on Oct. 8, 1989.

Virtually meaningless at this point in the year but still, for those who are interested, FO’s playoff odds after week 1:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/playoff-odds

Their numbers still only give us a 31% chance to make the playoffs, but that is up 8 points since we won. They give us a 2% chance to make the dance and an 0.7% chance to win.

22 hours ago, Stripes said:

Cincinnati 1-0

Pittsburgh 1-0

Cleveland 0-1

Baltimore 0-1

Nice week 1 inversion of national expectations for the division.

Indeed, but the Cleveland Browns nearly beat the team they played......the mighty KC Chiefs

they got a game out of the way that almost everyone already had marked down as an L

and got some confidence that they can play with the big boys

except that poor punter

I fully expect the Browns to be in the playoff picture

Not much to report from this morning's drive. They were mostly talking about the Sox and, for some reason, Bonanza (the TV show). There was brief debate over whether Burrow would throw for more than 300 yards (one yes, one no) but that was about it.

On the way home last night though, they were having an extended conniption over Nagy's decision to go for it on 4th and 15, in FG range, down 13 points, with 10 minutes left in the game. Various callers pointed out that the Bears' D hadn't been able to stop the Rams all game and that kicking a FG would just lead to more Rams points (almost certain). But they were having none of it and were insistent that the FG was the only option. Then there were callers/rants about ownership, Nagy already having a secret deal for an extension, why aren't they playing Fields/Dalton sucks, yadda, yadda, yadda. Basically the fanbase is split between two factions: angry fans who want change and they want it now and they don't care what it is just CHANGE!!!!! and resigned, apathetic fans who think there's no hope until fundamental change comes to ownership, the front office and coaching.

Now, why does that sound familiar...