The Complete 2020-21 Offseason Plan v2

TJJackson

8 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I was laughing based on the timing of the "breaking news".....news from roughly 30 years ago

That said, I am grateful that the cap doesnt just have a max, but also includes a minimum, to ensure even the most frugal of teams still spend enormous amounts of money on players

Yup. Florio didn’t say anything we haven’t known for decades.

That said, it’s not really their biggest challenge anymore. The last CBA with its rookie wage scale and spending minimum, and the skyrocketing nature of the cap in recent years have combined to make the kind of financial shenanigans other teams used to use to outfox the FO less attractive. And it should be noted that one important legacy of the Lewis era was that he got them out of the habit of allowing themselves to be used to negotiate deals for players with other teams. The cycle of “player comes to town, gets lowball offer, flies to next team and signs with them after they throw on a bs extra year to jack up the value announced in the media” used to be depressingly regular. Now that’s mostly gone.

No, the challenge now (and we all know this) is far less about how much they spend, and far more about how they spend it. Which is why I’ll be watching the OL come free agency, to see if they’ve extracted their collective head from their collective ass.

In general terms, I wouldnt mind acquiring this local fellows services in 2020 if he is healthy and is willing to sign a incentive-laden contract

https://stripehype.com/2021/02/28/cincinnati-bengals-could-target-minnesota-vikings-te-kyle-rudolph/

I'd really like to know a lot more about Uzomah's situation before making that call, though....and theres less than 2 weeks to go

28 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

In general terms, I wouldnt mind acquiring this local fellows services in 2020 if he is healthy and is willing to sign a incentive-laden contract

https://stripehype.com/2021/02/28/cincinnati-bengals-could-target-minnesota-vikings-te-kyle-rudolph/

I'd really like to know a lot more about Uzomah's situation before making that call, though....and theres less than 2 weeks to go

As noted a couple threads down he appears to be doing fine, has been rehabbing in house all the time, and the only thing standing between him and full go is Nick Cosgray, who wants him on a “pitch count” in spring workouts (assuming they happen) just to be safe.

I am not gonna paste all 8 parts of the FA position group rankings, but I've put the o-line and d-line up in threads. Will do a thread for WR and when CB drops paste that too.   

Those are the likely position groups where the Bengals are doing the most important shopping this off-season, so figured it might be nice for us all to have at least one source in common to help shape discussion. 

finally

something

not much of something, but still......something

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/2/22310022/ricardo-allen-bengals-nfl-free-agency-2021-falcons-news

Some articles are saying he was/is a safety, others are saying he was.is a corner.  the release article says he was/is the starting corner

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30924308/atlanta-falcons-release-ricardo-allen-allen-bailey-salary-cap-savings-source-says

PFF rating 62.5, which to me is a solid third or backup corner. Lot better than Sims @43.1  His size (5'9" 186) says slot corner to me.  The release page also says he was a man of the year candidate and a 4 time team captain.  Much to like

I don't think there's any question that he could help our team as a backup corner or safety.  The real question here is if he expects to be (and get paid as) a starting corner.  I dont think he's all that, so we'll see if a compromise is found on both role and money.  All that said, I'd MUCH rather have Alexander than this guy as long as the money is fairly close to the same

so, the new plan, with just 2 weeks more or less left til FA starts

1) Re-sign Lawson (5Y), WJ3 (3Y), Alexander (3Y), Brandon Wilson (3Y) and Huber (2Y).  Try not to use a tag.

2) release Bobby "The Matador" Hart

3) do one of the following 2

a) trade for ORT Rob Havenstein (Rams in cap trouble, wouldnt take much)

or b) sign either ORT Daryl Williams or ORT Taylor Moton in FA

4) Figure out if Geno is done or healthy and good to go.  I love the guy, but if he is done, release him

5) Sign one of the following in FA: OG Scherff or OG Thuney.  I dont know of any other OGs would could sign who represent a notable upgrade over Sua-Filo

6) Sign an above average pass rushing DE to pair with Lawson.  Can be an older guy with a little left in his tank.

7) Sign an experienced speed receiver as a role player/4th or 5th receiver.  a 600Y/40 catches kinda guy.  

8) Draft: Either

a) Trade down for more picks.  Try to get Chase, Smith, Darrisaw, Slater, or Waddle with the lower r1 pick, use the extra r2 on a pass rushing DE, main r2 pick on an OG

b) Pick Chase then an OG or DE in r2 and whatever you didnt get in r2 in r3.  No linebackers, but otherwise take BPAs.  DT preferred if all else equal in r4

The Harris signing is sort of kind of the thing I was and am talking about, but........given his age, the fact that they signed him at all is worrisome

That said, as long as there is no guaranteed money, perhaps they just signed him as insurance in case the heir apparent (Dan Godsil) isnt quite ready to go by game 1 of 2021

Dan Godsil references

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/1/4/22213389/bengals-roster-2021-nfl-futures-contracts-free-agency

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/1/25/22247135/2021-bengals-free-agency-ls-dan-godsil-signing-bonus-futures-contract

on the other hand, the Jalen Davis signing is NOT the stuff of my dreams. 

Jalen Davis was so talent-deprived that he couldnt unseat LeShaun "Guaranteed TD" Sims

and he was an exclusive FA, meaning he could only negotiate with the Bengals

Meaning we had much more time to sign him than other more valuable players

but yeah, finally, ok, yeah, a few moves......not great ones, but thumbs have been partially removed from asses, I guess

when you see the likes of Huber, Wilson, Daniels, Hunt, Perine, or lordie-be Alexander get re-signed/extended then we will be quite a bit closer to ecstasy

If you want to see actual complete and utter ecstasy from me, check on me when either

A) Lawson and/or WJ3 are resigned to reasonable long term contracts

or

B) LeShaun Sims is signed by another team, preferably in our division

so......in sum......no ecstasy here........not yet

so I am reading that the Raiders might be shopping OT Trent Brown

On the good side, he'd be an notable upgrade over Hart (PFF: 68.9), and he is a ORT specifically, and there's no more guaranteed money on his contract.  Also he's in the prime of his career at age 28 when the season starts

On the (really) bad side, however, is that his contract for 2021 and 2020 has a salary of about 15M, which might well be more than we'd pay for a notably better FA ORT.  Also, he has some significant health issues

so bottom line.......trading for him?  this is a big ole no from me.

Now if they cut him.........and he passes through waivers........then count me in BIGTIME to try to sign him, as one of his big minuses -- his big salary -- is no longer a problem.

I'd bet he's signable at about 7-9M per year due to the health issues, much less than Moton, maybe about the same roughly as D Williams; and the optimal contract would pay him a fairly low salary plus sizable bonuses per game started, to offset the health risk

aside: PFF says his weight is 380.  OMG.  Seriously?  yes, I see he has the height to carry more weight, but 380?

so....Josh Bynes

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/josh-bynes-open-to-staying-with-cincinnati-bengals

I would not be opposed to Josh Bynes returning if he met both of the following 2 conditions

1) He understands his role will be progressively more as a backup than a starter, so that the 4 newbie linebackers can progress and gain experience

and

2) He comes at a backup price - vet min and not much more

He seems to be a liability in coverage and his many many tackles are often way downfield, so while there is a value to his years of experience, I see him as a rushing down only guy, a 1 or 2 down guy. 

Valuable as a backup and mentor to the newbies, but not as a starter