Mixon Extended

HoosierCat

4 hours ago, COB said:

I recognize Katie, is that her daughter in the foreground of that picture?

It is. She's the one who has been helping to kill it with the social media. I think she directs that group now.

There was a lot of rumbling about not paying RBs on the radio yesterday.   IMO, this was the single best way to "protect" Joe Burrow.     Mixon has proven to be effective behind a horrible o-line and a supporting cast decimated by injury during his first 3 seasons.

Now they've locked him up behind Burrow insuring teams will have to respect RPO action and that's going to give Burrow bigger windows to throw into.     It's going to be a great combination.      The only limit to its greatness will be the development of the o-line.   I think at a minimum it will produce a mid tier offense if the line remains to be horrible.

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

There was a lot of rumbling about not paying RBs on the radio yesterday.   IMO, this was the single best way to "protect" Joe Burrow.     Mixon has proven to be effective behind a horrible o-line and a supporting cast decimated by injury during his first 3 seasons.

I agree. The don’t extend Mixon crowd was driven by the theory that RBs are a dime a dozen, get hurt easily, wear down fast, so you should never give one a second contract, just run them into the ground and draft a new one every three or four years.

Based on what I saw on Twitter, this crowd largely overlapped with the “don’t extend AJ he’s too old” crowd earlier this year. So I guess they should be happy they got half their wish list.

My counter to both arguments was, what else are they going to do with the money? They have to spend it, it’s the players’s cash under the CBA. That’s why shitty players like Hart get the deals they get. If they didn’t give it to Joe, what did people want? Give it to Kirkpatrick or Dennard or Andy to sit on the bench all year? (And yes, I know, oline. But it’s been crystal clear they are sticking with their current group all offseason. Oh well, we’ ll certainly see how that goes.).

4 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

3 years would've been ideal, but I'm guessing Mixon wasn't going for that, and don't blame him for wanting 4, which is the max I'd give any RB these days.  

There's a team option only on the fourth year of the extension, so it is effectively a 3-year extension if the Bengals want it to be...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, COB said:

Our receiving group is top ten right now, in my opinion.  

If everyone is healthy, you have to think we have one of the deepest WR corps in the league.

AJ
Ross
Boyd
Higgins
Tate
Erickson

Now having Mixon long term with Burrow and all they have to do is improve that o-line. Would like to see a dynamic TE added to the roster in time as well.

Mixon is underrated by local and national media.   They discussed it briefly on Dan Patrick after not naming Mixon among the backs they would choose.   Then they let go that very few backs have more rushing yards than him since entering the league.

He's underrated  because the line has been complete crap,  Marvin Lewis insisted on getting Jeremy Hill carries,  then Joe has run into some nagging injuries that cost him some starts.  He catches the ball extremely well in pass patterns.

I hope we crush teams with Gio and Mixon out of the backfield given Burrow's read and recognition ability and ball placement.

Mixon is underrated because they won't let go of the narrative of him beating women.

I AM NOT CONDONING HITTING WOMEN.

Simply saying that he has made good on learning from his mistake and making the best out of his second chance.
His talent was never in question, but some simply won't let him continue moving forward.

I for one am happy for him !!

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2020 at 9:01 AM, COB said:

Mixon is a top 5 back.  Bellichick called him the best in the league last year.

Burow could easily be a top ten QB after a season or two.

Our receiving group is top ten right now, in my opinion.  

Bobby Hart.

Bobby fuckin Hart. Dammit 

• 2 years later...

So, two and a half years (more or less) later, how are we all feeling about this? I’m (no pun intended) mixed.

Since signing the deal, Joe’s lost most of one year (2020) to injury, had a superb and arguably all-around career best year in 2021, followed by a season that in many respects was below average.

He was probably most useful as a receiver last season, setting career highs in targets, receptions, yards and first downs gained. He was actually the third-leading receiver on the team after Chase and Tee. But if you wanted. *running back,* well his 814 yards were (excepting 2020) his lowest since his rookie year and his 3.9 yards per attempt was the third lowest of his career. And he went from 13 rushing TDs in 2021 to 7 in 2022. His numbers aren’t horrible, but just to contrast Perine was banging our 4.1 yards a rush behind the same line and he only cost $1.8 million vs. Joe’s $11 million.

I still think the extension was a good one, but looking at how things played out in 2022, that near-$13 million cap hit for the upcoming season is a bit tough to swallow.

There is no way his agent can justify that cap number.  

I read an advanced metric (something like expected yardage after first contact) that had Mixon near the bottom of starting running backs.  

He’s still a starter, the Buffalo game showed it.  If the team approaches his agent with a request to redo that deal, they’d be justified in doing so.  

But his agent will want a couple years added to be willing to take a reduction.  

I think a lot of teams would play hardball and say just take a salary reduction or we cut you.  I don’t see the Bengals doing that.

They see a lot of Cover 2.    The receiving skills are important in that regard.   Hasn't been durable, but I think his rushing totals have been hampered by the o-line.

They save $7m with a cut, but before I got on board with that I'd want to see the replacement plan.    Not sure I want them kicking the salary cap hit down the road either.

Mixon is not a good pass protector… for a deal like he is getting, I’d like a guy who can play 3 downs.  I am not sure why he can’t pass block… he is bigger than Gio Bernard was so it can’t be a physical issue.  He is a great pass catching back and he does have moves in the open field… still, seems like that type of player is all over college football today.