Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

Ragnow and Elgton Jenkins both made the Pro-Bowl.

If you'll recall, the Bengals' took Price over Ragnow, and traded-up for a so-so TE while they lost the chance to draft Jenkins in the 2nd as a result (went to the Packers 2 spots after the Bengals' original pick).

I don't know who to blame for these annual scouting/drafting failures, but it's time they ditch whomever is making these decisions.   But they won't.  Winning isn't as important here as it is elsewhere in the league.

9 hours ago, COB said:

Also, Justin Fields is not helping us.  He needs to shine so he becomes the accepted 2nd pick.  Unfortunately he wasn’t too good against Northwestern in the Big Ten Championship game.  

Sewell is a must get.

Yeah, regardless of Sat's game, I think Fields is a big reach in the top 10, that performance won't help with potential trade leverage either.

While I'm on the Sewell train and no one else, would not be surprised in the least if they draft Chase as some are mocking, to replace AJ and reunite with Burrow.  Which of course is pointless if you're not going to go out and sign at least 2 high level o-lineman, and draft some as well.

5 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

If you'll recall, the Bengals' took Price over Ragnow

I intend no offense, but what actually happened is that the Bengals were set to take Ragnow (at least, according to Lap) and the Lions traded up one pick up ahead of the Bengals to take Ragnow, and then the Bengals settled for their backup choice of Price on the following pick.  I remember being furious about Detriot "shittsburghing" us

Choosing Sample in r2 will always be for me one of the biggest draft head-scratchers of all time.  If he were taken 3 rounds later, where he should have been taken, he'd be thought of as a decent unremarkable pick

BTW, it is time for the Bengals to invest another pick at Center.    I dont think they need to go higher than r4 for this pick, though, as they have time to groom a newbie behind Hopkins.  I thought Finney might be an heir apparent but he's actually a year older than Hopkins, so thats not happening

5 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

While I'm on the Sewell train and no one else, would not be surprised in the least if they draft Chase as some are mocking, to replace AJ and reunite with Burrow.  Which of course is pointless if you're not going to go out and sign at least 2 high level o-lineman, and draft some as well.

I don't know much about this receiver, but........if they do roll a Brinks truck onto the driveway of Scherff (or equally capable OG) and a high end ORT --- at least one of whom would have to be under 30, and both of whom signed for 4 years or more -- in free agency, yeah, they could then afford to spend the r1 pick on another position

but....given the many many needs this team has, I'd still prefer in such a scenario to trade down if at all possible for the multiple picks we truly need to start resembling a competitive NFL team

• Like 1

Ragnow was the Bengals target but he was taken before Price.   They were in that spot because they traded for Cody Glenn.    The biggest crime was not taking Lamar Jackson, IMO.

If Sample continues to get the snaps, targets and catches he does he'll prove worth a 2nd NFL contract and thus demonstrating his worth of a 2nd round pick.   He'll never be an outstanding 2nd round draft pick,  he'll be a guy message board hero types will bitch about non stop.   However, if you look there are tons of average players taken in round 2.  

His game/value is very similar to Reggie Kelly (who was a 2nd round pick). 

Current draft:  A high level WR like Chase would be awesome.  However, the Bengals can not afford to get cute again with the offensive line.   They must demonstrate they left no stone unturned in efforts to try and improve.

25 minutes ago, membengal said:

You don't know much about Jamar Chase? Did you watch ANY burrow highlights or games from two years at LSU? Chase is the Julio Jones looking mofo. 

If the first two picks are Lawrence and Sewell, Chase is a lock for the Bengals at 3.

5 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

If the first two picks are Lawrence and Sewell, Chase is a lock for the Bengals at 3.

If they actually addressed RT and a legit G in FA, you could make an argument that plus getting Burrow back and a WR corp of Chase/Higgins/Boyd is the quickest way to 10 wins. Lot of IFs there though...

• Like 1

I hate putting too much on Burrow's shoulders especially after a knee surgery.   But if you look at pre-Burrow,  Burrow,  post injury.    

It's unquestioned what kind of impact he has on their chances of winning.  

Burrow comes in healthy and he gives them a punchers chance at 8 wins all by himself.  He practically did this year when you account for how close the games were. 

Drastically transform the line into average.   Add a receiving target then it's absolutely possible to be talking playoffs. 

12 hours ago, TJJackson said:

Pass Rush is a much much much bigger need than WR, imo

Both are huge needs, IMO.    Teams were simply playing quarters and two deep coverage against Burrow.     It's simply too hard to operate against defenses playing that way for 16 games.

On the other hand,  defense couldn't buy a critical stop most of the year.   Lawson gets a ton of pressure but there's not anyone else to help clean it up.  

Could go for either, but on my wish list everything is going to default towards helping Burrow produce huge numbers.

12 hours ago, membengal said:

Keep Carl Lawson, Hubbard is solid, get Reader back, sign a FA and then get someone in round 2-4 in a deep edge draft. Doable. 

Especially if they continue to adapt to more 3-4 concepts.   There's always those hybrid DE/LB types in the second round it seems.

Of course the Bengals have done great in the 2nd round for WR too.

17 hours ago, membengal said:

Keep Carl Lawson, Hubbard is solid, get Reader back, sign a FA and then get someone in round 2-4 in a deep edge draft. Doable. 

I think we need both an inside pass rusher and an outside pass rusher in the first 4 rounds.....even if we retain Lawson

I know my GIMME A LINEMAN bias is showing here bigtime, but we really would benefit greatly if the first 4 picks were all lineman.....need an ORT, an OG, a DT, and  DE (not necessarily in that order)

and even after that, i think it is time to pick an OC to groom behind Hopkins, but that can wait til r5 or later

of course, their actions and failures to act in FA may alter this quite a bit.......my number 1 hope for FA is a top tier OG but I'd settle for a better than average ORT

FYI:  

Even though both players opted out of the 2020 college football season, it appears as though Northwestern’s Rashawn Slater has at least entered the conversation as the OT1 of the 2021 NFL Draft class.

Daniel Jeremiah, NFL Network’s top NFL Draft expert, dropped a pretty huge bomb on Twitter about his recent studies of the 2021 NFL Draft class on the offensive line.

That positional versatility and strong tape certainly make many first-round projections for Slater make sense, but OT1 status over Sewell?

DJ’s opinion here might be a little controversial for those who have dubbed Sewell as a “generational” type of prospect at the offensive tackle position, but it was Jeremiah who led the charge with Mekhi Becton as OT1 last year, and that has turned out to be one of the best and most accurate projections of the vaunted 2020 class at the tackle position.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, COB said:

I am completely amazed that a wr is under consideration for our first round pick.

There will never be a season when the Cincinnati Bengals do not consider a WR for the first round pick. If they take Chase this time, I won't assume WR is impossible in 2022. Unlikely sure, but not impossible.

• Haha 1

On the other hand , while some franchises cannot draft and develop WRs to save their lives (Pats, Ravens) - the bengals are generally REALLY good at it. The occasional miss, but by and large, they get players who actually help. 

Off the top of my head (in my relative lifetime):

Early draft Hits:

Collinsworth, Eddie Brown, Tim McGee, Carl Pickens, Darnay Scott, Chad J, AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Tee Higgins

Early draft Misses:  David Verser (picked ahead of Collinsworth), John Ross, Peter Warrick (injury related mostly)

Later in draft major hits:  TJ Housh, Sanu, Marvin Jones

I mean, on balance, this team does pretty damn well with receiver draft picks. So, yeah, i get that it is frustrating, but it also is a position that for whatever reason this team scouts and develops well as opposed to...a LOT of the other positions. 

There's some comfortability there for me as a fan...

• Like 1