Second Round Pick: Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

HoosierCat

19 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

All I know is that Higgins showed-up in every big game and beat every body, a lot of 1st round NFL talent.  I don't know what more you can do.  All of a sudden, if AJ stays healthy, they have a pretty insane group of WR's with Boyd, Tate and Ross...granted they may lose 2 of them soon.

Nods. 

So again, if the knock on Higgins is his speed, lets make a fair comparison:

Higgins reported 40 time was 4.54

AJ Green- 4.50
Michael Thomas- 4.57
Deandre Hopkins- 4.57
Mike Evans- 4.53
Julio Jones- 4.39
OBJ- 4.43
Antonio Brown- 4.47
Keenan Allen- 4.75
Tyreek Hill- 4.2 something ridiculous
Davante Adams- 4.56
Juju Smith Schuster- 4.54

So in looking at what is widely considered to be the best 10 WR's from last year and their 40 times coming out of college, i'm still confused on why the knock on Higgins.
Outside of the outliers like Tyreek (super fast) and Allen (super slow), you are left with an average of 4.50. (I left out AJ as well, since he was simply included because he's a Bengal).

It seems utterly ridiculous to see the criticism of his speed, when he seems right on par with some of the best in the league.
Making contested catches is his specialty and it's not like you can coach someone into being 6'4, 215lbs. either.

He caught 27 TD's during his time at Clemson, which is tied for first and his 13TD's last season were only behind Hopkins for a single season.
THIS is what he does.  Goes up, makes plays, and scores TD's.  Must suck to add a guy like that to the roster huh ??

Then again, Joe Burrow might have something to say about that...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Talking heads groaning about a 4.5 40 during the draft process are the epitome of NFL Combine geeks that know absolute fuck all about players beyond the numbers on their screens. That's not even slow, so the criticism is silly.

I mean, he could have run a 4.22 and then drop every wide open crossing route he is thrown like John Ross.

• Like 1

I think stuff like this starts as smoke screen type things and draft pundits pick up on it and then start factoring it in their analysis.    Then use it as do or die method of deciding which WR is better at 33 and which one is better at 34.   Blah, blah, blah....

Same thing with Drew Sample last year.    Sample proved to be a bust his opening year but narratives just get repeated.

Higgins could prove to be a bust his rookie season as he will have to displace a faster former top 15 pick. 

• Like 1

Sure Higgins could be a bust, but that certainly applies to any player they just took.

When looking at the roster, I don't think he has to beat out Ross at all.  Ross is still going to be the speed threat.
Higgins just needs to come in and make the roster in general and I don't think that's going to be a challenge.

AJ, Higgins
Boyd, Tate
Ross, Erickson

That makes a nice 6 WR's for the corps with Morgan and Willis on the practice squad.
AJ had 65 receptions for 1057 yards and 7 TD's as a rookie. 

I don't expect Higgins to accomplish that this season considering AJ and the other weapons, but he will contribute.
AJ didn't have much support as a rookie when looking at that WR room.  Ugh !!

Could Higgins bust out of the league ??  Sure he can, but if you had a place a bet today on whether or not you think that will happen, I bet your betting on NO.

Lack of production ??  27 TD's in 3 years, which tied the current record held by Deandre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins ??  That production ??
In watching any of those 27 TD's, if you come away from that thinking this guy doesn't have a single above average athletic trait, I would be shocked and amazed.

Mem and I were talking about his ability to stack DB's.  Again, watching any of his highlights demonstrates his route running ability.
Those are nuanced techniques for WR's to learn and he has them coming out of college.
WR's have to put themselves in the position to go up and make a contested catch.  That shit doesn't just happen for no reason.

That shit just comes across as lazy.  Or maybe all this time, each of AJ Green's contested catches are actually due to Dalton being so fucking awesome.
Why the hell did we draft Joe Burrow again ???

Stupid.....

These will be the same assholes that use his production from his rookie year as proof of him being some mediocre talent.
Totally ignoring the fact that he's coming to a team that currently fields AJ Green, Boyd, Ross, and other productive WR's, not to mention Mixon's receiving ability.
He won't have AJ Green rookie numbers due to the other current talent that wasn't here when AJ was a rookie.

Someone must really hate Clemson...

As for above average traits....

His Above Average traits are body control, height/length, concentration, and great hands.  Difficult to put on a stat sheet, not hard to pick out on tape.  What you need to know is that in crunch time Dabo Sweeney, Trevor Lawrence, and the NCAA Champion Clemson Tigers in 2018 and 2019 looked for Tee Higgins.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

His Above Average traits are...Difficult to put on a stat sheet, not hard to pick out on tape.

And there’s the rub, anecdote v data. Look at the tape, he looks great, look at the stat sheet, he’s nothing special. There’s literally no way to know until it all plays out. Hopefully anecdote wins and not data.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:42 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Could Higgins bust out of the league ??  Sure he can, but if you had a place a bet today on whether or not you think that will happen, I bet your betting on NO.

Lack of production ??  27 TD's in 3 years, which tied the current record held by Deandre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins ??  That production ??
In watching any of those 27 TD's, if you come away from that thinking this guy doesn't have a single above average athletic trait, I would be shocked and amazed.

Mem and I were talking about his ability to stack DB's.  Again, watching any of his highlights demonstrates his route running ability.
Those are nuanced techniques for WR's to learn and he has them coming out of college.
WR's have to put themselves in the position to go up and make a contested catch.  That shit doesn't just happen for no reason.

That shit just comes across as lazy.  Or maybe all this time, each of AJ Green's contested catches are actually due to Dalton being so fucking awesome.
Why the hell did we draft Joe Burrow again ???

Stupid.....

watching his highlights, im glad that we got Burrow this year, instead of Lawrence next year

Some of those throws were bad and he still brings them in

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it would appear that AJ has no issues in adding Tee to the WR corps.
This from the article AJ was talking about Burrow:

Sure, he knows Higgins has been idolizing him for years, but he's been watching Higgins, too. He talked to Bengals wide receivers coach Bob Bicknell before the draft and asked, "Hey Bob, what do y'all think of Tee Higgins?" and Bicknell said, oh yeah, he liked the kid. And when Green talked to former Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh after he worked with Higgins in California, T.J. raved about him and told him, "He reminds me of you."  "I've got to talk to Tee a couple of times. Great guy. Unbelievable talent. He's very glad he can come in and learn and I think he's going to help us out a lot because he can make plays down the field like no other."