Second Round Pre-Pick Thread

Wraith

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I don't know.....Josh Jones would be a huge get and he won't last long tomorrow.

I like him, but they could pinwheel back and get an extra third and still get good line help at 65 and a LB with added pick.

Just now, Stripes said:

Baun? Jones? Mims? McKinney? Sounds good to me.

I'm cool with trading down too, though I wouldn't want to drop too far -- more than 10 spots or so feels dangerous.

No to the safety.

6 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

What am I missing about Jones? The drop-off starting with him is pretty significant beyond the top 2.  At the top of the 3rd I'd think they could find a just as suitable upgrade at G or OT (just responding to the Tweet).

He was PFFs highest graded T in pass pro. They love him. He also a natural right tackle. I guess I am curious why you are so high on Baun? He’s an edge rusher and maybe has skills to occasionally drop into coverage. There are going to be LB who are actual LB ob three who are cover guys. For me it’s Jones or mims. And there are a lot of edge guys they can target late.

• Like 1

I guess the question becomes are they happy with there o-line now? Will they kick Hart to guard or the bench for him, I sure hope so, but everything I have read they seem to love Hart. 

Im hoping for Jones or even Mims as well, but worries me a bit that the bengals are happy with there o-line

I would just as soon the trade back, but my concern is that they miss on one of a couple players I think represent both BPA and need.

Why trade back 10 spots when there are maybe 3-4 guys you really want ??  Is a 4th rounder really THAT important ??
When looking at the player gained from previous years of trading down, it hasn't worked out all that well.
The chance of that pick not panning out increases.

While I think Jones presents as great value, obviously that's based on a bunch of people that aren't associated with the team.  I wouldn't be displeased.
If they stay put, Mims represents a big WR target and brings speed that no one outside of Ross has in the WR corps.
Would Cushenberry surprise anyone as Joe Burrow's center from LSU ??  Maybe, but not much.

I'm just really disappointed that Queen fell that far and there appears to have been no effort to make that move.
There simply wasn't another player that would have hit such a MASSIVE need for this team at that point.
Not pissed, but certainly disappointed.  I wouldn't take any of these remaining guys before Queen. NOT ONE...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

What am I missing about Jones? The drop-off starting with him is pretty significant beyond the top 2.  At the top of the 3rd I'd think they could find a just as suitable upgrade at G or OT (just responding to the Tweet).

The guy graded over 90 (actually 93.2) last year per PFF...

He carried a 92.7 Run Block Grade

89.2 Pass Block Grade

90.1 Zone Block Grade

91.1 when asked to Gap Block

There really no flaws in his game.

He was actually the highest graded BCS Tackle in this draft.  He is 6'5" 318 lbs and is still growing into his body.  Long Arms, can play LT....there are really only three guys left IMHO that could play LT.  Jones, Cleveland, and Wanoga and of the three Jones is by far the best prospect.  When a top 20 Offensive Tackle drops to you at 33 you snap them up!

From Dane Brugler:

5. JOSH JONES | Houston         6050 | 319 lbs. | rSR.           Richmond, Texas (George Bush)           6/22/1997 (age 22.84) #74 

BACKGROUND: Joshua “Josh” Jones grew up as a basketball-first athlete, competing on the AAU circuit and planning to play hoops in college. He attended George Bush High School in Richmond (just outside of Houston), the same program that produced 2010 top-10 pick Russell Okung. As a high school sophomore, Jones’ focus switched from basketball to football where he was a three-year letterman at left tackle, earning all-district honors all three seasons. 

A three-star offensive tackle recruit out of high school, Jones was the No. 100 offensive tackle in the 2015 class and the No. 121 recruit in Texas. He received offers from several Power-5 teams like Nebraska, TCU and Texas Tech, originally verballing to Oklahoma State prior to his junior season before flipping to his hometown Houston on signing day. He also received Division-I recruiting interest in basketball, including one scholarship offer. His father (Bobby) played quarterback and coached semi-pro teams in Houston and Dallas. Jones graduated with his degree in sports management. He accepted his invitation to the 2020 Senior Bowl. 

YEAR (GP/GS) POSITION NOTES         2015: Redshirted 2016: (13/13) LT 2017: (10/10) LT 2018: (13/13) LT 2019: (9/9) LT  Second team All-AAC; Team Captain Total: (45/45) LT 

HT WT ARM HAND WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP    COMBINE 6050 319 33 7/8 10 1/8 79 7/8 5.27 4.04 1.81 28 1/2 09’01” - - 24 (no shuttle or 3-cone – choice) PRO DAY N/A (Pro Day canceled) 

STRENGTHS: Plus athlete with light feet…gets proper depth in his pass sets, dropping his butt and bending his knees…flexible hips to smoothly redirect and maintain the pocket walls…looks to introduce his punch early in his slide to keep rushers occupied…adequate arm length and doesn’t forget his feet…rangy with the body control to make plays outside the numbers…comfortable climbing, cutting and engaging at the second level…often used as a left-to-right cross-formation puller due to his athleticism in the run game…not a vocal player, but his coaches say his maturity has “night-day” improved since he arrived…senior captain and well-liked as a teammate…earned the starting left tackle job as a redshirt freshman, finishing his career with 45 starts. 

WEAKNESSES: Growth potential concerns…needs to get stronger through his base and core…spotty hand placement in the run game, leaving him lunging and offbalanced…efficient punch in pass pro, but wish his hands were more powerful to deliver more of a thud…had to overcome spurts of immaturity as an underclassman, but his coaches say he has matured …missed the final three games of his college career due to a high ankle sprain (November 2019)…only played left tackle over his playing career and doesn’t have experience inside or at right tackle. 

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at Houston, Jones was the starting left tackle in head coach Dana Holgorsen’s shotgun spread offense. A basketball athlete most of his life, he played in three different offensive systems at Houston (for five different offensive line coaches), which stunted his development, but he showed promising development as a senior. Jones has outstanding lower body movements and flexibility, replacing his hands and showing natural sink to keep rushers occupied. The anchor strength concerns are valid, and he looks to have body type restrictions so teams must be comfortable with his frame. Overall, Jones is currently a better pass protector than run blocker, but his flexible athleticism and eager hands are outstanding foundation traits to play left tackle in the NFL, making him deserving of first-round consideration. 

Guys I  had a First Round Grade on that are still available.....

Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

Josh Jones, OT, Houston

Zack Baun, LB/Edge, Wisconsin

Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

Grant Delpit, S, LSU

Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama

I just don't want to see S, CB or DL here. Not after they poured $135 million into those positions in FA. I have to imagine there are players at positions of greater need that have grades equal to players at positions of less needs, so focus on Jones, Mims, or, if your tier is deep enough, trade back and get an extra third or fourth. And, yes, this draft is SO deep in the middle, an extra pick would be really helpful.