Second Round Pre-Pick Thread

Wraith

10 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Baun over Jones all day long.  If not Baun then Mims.   IMO it's about either adding what would be drafting the best LB on your roster right now, or hoping a OT or WR develop in a couple of years and push the guys in front of them (Mims/Jones).

Baun is not a great cover LB and that is what we need, take OT or WR and wait till 3rd for a cover LB

• Thanks 2

Like I’ve said before, most years someone unexpected falls. All it takes is a couple teams doing not doing what they’re supposed to (like GB going QB and late run on CBs) and there you are. This year it’s Jones. Don’t overthink this, Bengals. Take the gift and move on.

27 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Like I’ve said before, most years someone unexpected falls. All it takes is a couple teams doing not doing what they’re supposed to (like GB going QB and late run on CBs) and there you are. This year it’s Jones. Don’t overthink this, Bengals. Take the gift and move on.

This... 

Take the 3rd Rd.  Get A Davis-Gaither at LB.  Take the Tackle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Read on another board Lap was down playing Jones because of short arms.

So?  I dunno know. 

It’s on the podcast up on the official site. He’s not really down on him tho. He is pretty much Lap’s second choice behind whoever is the highest rated WR on their board

From his general conversation, he seems to think the Bengals were keyed in on LB and hoping that Brooks, Queen or Murray would be there at 33, which didn’t happen. His top preference would be to trade down but no further than 39. But he sounds iffy on whether there would be a partner. Would have been a better chance of finding one if Love hadn’t gone in the first

Doesn’t think Baun is value here, more of a late second, early third pick, but the LB run in the first might cause them to reach. Also likes a couple of DL still on the board.

Oh shit, the "Hope and Pray" philosophy crept into the 2020 draft huh ??

Let's "hope" one of those linebackers falls to us at #33 instead of being aggressive and going to get, what apparently they felt was a need.
Fuckin' A.

I have since changed course here as well.  Just take Josh Jones and start him over Hart.  That thought alone brings a smile to my face and improves the o-line.
I have also NOT changed my mind on Baun… fuck that guy.  I don't want to see the #33 overall pick be brought in and have his position changed.
This organization SUCKS FAT MONKEY BALLS when they start tinkering with that shit.

JOSH JONES.  Make it happen Bengals !!!

Also, can someone tell me what the hell happened to make Tee Higgins stock drop ??
While not a 4.3 blazer, he's also not slower than dirt.  Big production against top talent.
I could have sworn that production counted for something.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I would be more than happy to see them move back into the bottom of the 2nd to grab a WR should one of them fall, which they probably will.
If not a WR, go get Robert Hunt !!

Totally would be on board with that philosophy. 

We have to accept that this is a VERY conservative front office because that is never going to change.  Personally just stay at #33 take Jones or Mims take a good LBer at the top of 3 there are good ones who will be there.

59 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Totally would be on board with that philosophy. 

We have to accept that this is a VERY conservative front office because that is never going to change.  Personally just stay at #33 take Jones or Mims take a good LBer at the top of 3 there are good ones who will be there.

That works. I lean Jones because the WR class seems like it’s super deep and I think there will still be quality there in the fourth.

Gabe Jackson ??  Without looking, hasn't he had some injury issues ??  I could be wrong, but my buddy is a Raiders fan and I seem to recall that for some reason.

If the compensation is a 5th, you have to look at not only who you could possibly get, but the difference in cost for a 5th round rookie vs a starting quality o-lineman in the NFL.

I'll take the 5th rounder at this point.

On 4/22/2020 at 9:08 AM, AMPHAR said:

The annoying part about WR is that you have $18 mil tied up in Green and spent a top 10 pick on Ross.   Going into this season we have no idea what they will give you in Burrow's first two years.

Boyd, Tate, and Erickson are all reliable targets underneath but really struggle to stretch the defense and that is a recipe for disaster for a young QB .   Allowing defenses to just pack it in and have a high degree of confidence that they won't give up a big play while selling out to get to the QB.

This is a deep class of WR and the type of speed that is projected to reach the 2nd round doesn't happen every year.     So I think you have to consider it,  IF the prospect emerges.

I will also say the boils down to TE as well.   There simply isn't a proven TE weapon that's going to make it difficult on a defense that sells out rushing the passer.  TE is a blocking aspect as long a middle of the field threat.

At the same time,  Right Tackle upgrade is needed.    Then we've seen our pass rushing weapons on defense be rendered helpless because we can cover those same areas underneath that make it hard to get to a QB.    Hopefully the Defensive adds via FA help cure this.

I’m here with Amphar on this plus add a LB.

There question for me is do you take Antoine Winfield Jr , JK Robbins, or a WR like Pittman Jr, Mims at WR.  There’s a Boise State OT who is high on Kipers  list too.  I say, take the BPA after trading down from 33 and grab guy at these positions, either ones listed here or close to it.  And I am counting on the Bengals using mostly 2 LBs on the field at a time 

Edited by GapControl
Typos

4 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Gabe Jackson ??  Without looking, hasn't he had some injury issues ??  I could be wrong, but my buddy is a Raiders fan and I seem to recall that for some reason.

If the compensation is a 5th, you have to look at not only who you could possibly get, but the difference in cost for a 5th round rookie vs a starting quality o-lineman in the NFL.

I'll take the 5th rounder at this point.

Yeah, he played 2018 with a torn pec and missed six games last season with an MCL injury. Plus he’s hauling around a $9.6 million salary, for each of the next three seasons. I’m not saying no to a deal but you can see why teams aren’t exactly tripping over each other to grab him.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

It’s on the podcast up on the official site. He’s not really down on him tho. He is pretty much Lap’s second choice behind whoever is the highest rated WR on their board

From his general conversation, he seems to think the Bengals were keyed in on LB and hoping that Brooks, Queen or Murray would be there at 33, which didn’t happen. His top preference would be to trade down but no further than 39. But he sounds iffy on whether there would be a partner. Would have been a better chance of finding one if Love hadn’t gone in the first

Doesn’t think Baun is value here, more of a late second, early third pick, but the LB run in the first might cause them to reach. Also likes a couple of DL still on the board.

I’m with this tactic too and throw Dalton in there , eat some of his contract, and get another pick and get some talent.  Take a guy who will play above his position and fill a need at the same time 

I am sad they didn’t move up for Queen.  

Too late now.  It seems like it will be Jones.  That will put us in the unusual position of trying to protect our valuable rookie QB with two rookie tackles.  

I know Jonah Williams is a second year guy but he didn’t play a single snap last year, couldn’t even practice.  

I hope this stupid virus doesn’t shorten camp or the pre-season, our two youngsters are going to need all the reps they can get.

29 minutes ago, COB said:

It seems like it will be Jones.  That will put us in the unusual position of trying to protect our valuable rookie QB with two rookie tackles. 

I know Jonah Williams is a second year guy but he didn’t play a single snap last year, couldn’t even practice. 

I hope this stupid virus doesn’t shorten camp or the pre-season, our two youngsters are going to need all the reps they can get.

all the more reason to keep Dalton until the trading deadline, give the two tackles a chance to get acclimated

also this guy

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/19/fred-johnson-waivers-bengals-left-tackle/

played well in limited opportunities including a start or two at the end of 2019

all that said, I'd consider it optimal if the two rookies start game 1 as it will mean they are ready(ish) to do so.  If Hart and/or Johnson start, one or both of them arent ready