General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

not at all

he was productive last year

Quite. And there’s another reason I’m not rushing Gio out the door.

In fact, I wouldn’t rule out extending him later this year, depending on how things go.

Why? One number: 11,450,000.

What’s that? Joe Mixon’s cap hit next year.

Now, I like Joe. But not that much. At least not right now. Maybe he’ll blow through the roof this season and justify that number. But all things considered, that seems a stretch.

• Like 1

I thought the 2020 offense looked better with Gio than with Joe Mixon.  Not sure what could be driving this rumored interest in trading him.  Maybe some spy vs spy stuff going on, other teams might be stirring things up a bit.  

• Like 1

I dont know if Joe Mixon looked better in 2020, because I personally never saw him in 2020

throw bottles, cans, non-HD tv sets, and rotted fruit at me all you want, but.....the best ability is now and always will be availability

my dead gramma had an equal chance to score a TD for the Bengals for most of 2020 as Mixon did

• Like 1

Jesus people. Gio is 29. They are not extending him. They should not extend him. What’s wrong with you all? Am I being punked? Is this some sort of prank?

he’s not going to be a feature back at any point on the go forward, what the what with you all. 

He’s 29? So what? As a third down/change of pace guy he’s hardly been overworked. He’s missed a grand total of 13 games in 8 seasons (Mixon has missed 14 in 4). He tied Higgins for most visits to the end zone last year. You’re not being punked, you’re just being dumb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Jesus people. Gio is 29. They are not extending him. They should not extend him. What’s wrong with you all? Am I being punked? Is this some sort of prank?

he’s not going to be a feature back at any point on the go forward, what the what with you all. 

Your being obtuse, again.   1st an extension can be many things in the NFL including reducing cap hit.    Not sure what "feature" back has to do with anything.

2nd - Mixon has not been a picture of durability.  

3rd - For as much as we've collectively bitched about not signing a guard.  We want to throw away the best pass pro back we have?   Then a perfect outlet back?  Finally get out of the Marvin years in which he could never unlock the mystery of utilizing multiple backs without the platoon. 

I don't know.   Unless removing Gio results into a starting position upgrade (with saved cap room)  or a top 150 pick, I don't really get all the excited about the trade talk.  

11 hours ago, Wraith said:

You can't tell whether this is a positive or a negative until you find out both what they get for Gio and what they do with the freed up cap space.  If trading Good gets us Larry Warford or Kerrigan and an extra mid round pick I am all for it.

True.

Although.  I'm starting to wonder what the obsession with Larry is?  Its beyond obvious that guy isn't what his resume/pff says he is.   Might be an upgrade for us but its odd he's been available for a long time and I have not read anything about him visiting.  Teams interested etc.

Bengals fans:  AAARRRGGHHH - how could they let AJ/ANDY/GENO get to the point where we get nothing for them?

(Bengals consider potential market for a trade for Gio)

Also Bengals fans: AAAARRRRGGGHHH --- not like that!

Is Gio a RB on the next Bengals team that is ready to make a run at the Super Bowl?

No.

So, yeah, if a deal presents itself for the 29-year-old back-up RB, you consider it. Strongly.

It's like I am in crazy town. I think you all are totally allowing your liking of Gio personally to cloud your judgment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, membengal said:

Is Gio a RB on the next Bengals team that is ready to make a run at the Super Bowl?

No.

So, yeah, if a deal presents itself for the 29-year-old back-up RB, you consider it. Strongly.

It's like I am in crazy town. I think you all are totally allowing your liking of Gio personally to cloud your judgment. 

Even though I have a Gio poster hanging in my office, if a trade presents itself you have to seriously consider it.

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

True.

Although.  I'm starting to wonder what the obsession with Larry is?  Its beyond obvious that guy isn't what his resume/pff says he is.   Might be an upgrade for us but its odd he's been available for a long time and I have not read anything about him visiting.  Teams interested etc.

He is simply the last impact IOL available, it didn't need to be Larry but at this point, Larry is the last hope to get a veteran IOL as it stands right now.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

No.

Well, if it seems like you’re in crazy town, it might be because you are. And the town has a population of one.

I don’t have any special love for Gio, but I’m not dumping the one proven, reliable vet RB on the roster when our alleged bell cow can’t stay healthy and is coming off a serious injury. If that strikes you as crazy talk, I don’t know what to tell you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

I have found non-crazy people on Twitter

Trust me, there are no non-crazy people on that hell site. You can only join if you’re certifiable.

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

none of you NONE of you better ever complain about them not dealing Andy, or Geno or AJ for a return

Honestly I don’t think they were ever in a position to get anything for Geno or AJ. Andy maaaaaybe if they gone with a complete “blow it up” strategy with Taylor right out of the gate.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

He is simply the last impact IOL available, it didn't need to be Larry but at this point, Larry is the last hope to get a veteran IOL as it stands right now.

But is he really?  He's the last name or PFF graded guard but that doesn't equate to reality.  He was let go back in May 2020.   No interest when he was released.  Then he opted out late July.

He was let go from the Saints because of performance.  If he wanted to play AND was an impact guard there would be something by now. 

Kyle Long found work rather quickly, despite being retired for a period.    

4 hours ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Even though I have a Gio poster hanging in my office, if a trade presents itself you have to seriously consider it.

this is true for any player, tho, really

Joe Burrow is available if for example we'd get Justin Herbert and our pick of any 10 other players off the Chargers roster plus their 1st rounders for the next 50 years

so if an offer comes in for Gio, I'd certainly take a look at it......but I doubt any team would offer what he is worth to this organization

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

this is true for any player, tho, really

Joe Burrow is available if for example we'd get Justin Herbert and our pick of any 10 other players off the Chargers roster plus their 1st rounders for the next 50 years

so if an offer comes in for Gio, I'd certainly take a look at it......but I doubt any team would offer what he is worth to this organization

Let’s see, a veteran pass catching, premium pass blocking, spot fill #1 RB might bring a pretty good offer 

Maybe, though I doubt it

but thats why offers can always be listened to.....maybe a beneficial one comes along and th Bengals deal with it while SoaG is napping and ergo doesnt get the chance to spout his "I'm not in the business of making other teams better" nonsense. 

Thats right, geezer, youre not even in the business of making your OWN team better

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

But is he really?  He's the last name or PFF graded guard but that doesn't equate to reality.  He was let go back in May 2020.   No interest when he was released.  Then he opted out late July.

He was let go from the Saints because of performance.  If he wanted to play AND was an impact guard there would be something by now. 

Kyle Long found work rather quickly, despite being retired for a period.    

Yes, he had ALOT of interest when he was released, he had visits to Oakland, SF, and Cincy and decided he needed to take some time off.  If you look at his snap counts you will see why, he has been an iron man the last several years.  He wasn't let go from NO because of performance, he was let go because they had a younger and cheaper option and were in serious cap hell.

It’d be nice but he was in the second year of a two-year $23 million deal in Seattle and they couldn’t work out an extension. Given that the Bengals just gave big money to Reader last year and Hendrickson this year (and gave Ogunjobi $6.2 million on top of that), the best I see is another one year deal. But I’ve been wrong before.

4 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

It’d be nice but he was in the second year of a two-year $23 million deal in Seattle and they couldn’t work out an extension. Given that the Bengals just gave big money to Reader last year and Hendrickson this year (and gave Ogunjobi $6.2 million on top of that), the best I see is another one year deal. But I’ve been wrong before.

the player is said to be looking for a longer deal, and longer deals lets the team spread out the cap dollars.......and we certainly have a need there. 

I'd actually say Ogunjobi backs HIM up if he comes here....tho really, it'd be a rotation 1a 1b at the 3TDT spot

If they're not going to spend any money, they should bring Mike Daniels in to be the other 3TDT.  He produced more than he cost

One thing that has gotten much notice but I noted a couple of times in the past week or so is that while the 4 newbie linebackers are all intact, of course, neither of the other two linebackers have been brought back

Bynes didnt do much and was pretty cheap, so as long as he can continue to mentor the newbies I can see bringing him back on a similarly low cost with it understood that his onfield role is expected to diminish as the 4 newbies make those spots their own  He'll also need to play more special teams, being the 5th or 6th linebacker.  If Bynes cant or wont play special teams, I dont see him on this squad except maybe as a midseason injury replacement

the other guy was Evans.  He's 26 so he should in the prime of his backup career, for what thats worth.  I wouldnt mind signing him on the cheap either, but if we could get a small upgrade both for defensive snaps and for special teams, I'd be a lot happier

what I really dont want to see happen is a linebacker drafted any earlier than the 2nd of our two 6th round picks, and if we do, that guy has to be an athletic specimen, a known special teams demon

any thoughts on linebackers going into 2021?