General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

AMC: it is good to see almost any old member back.   well, except maybe dontpushme

Mem: I kinda sorta hate that list.  The top person on that list - Fisher - probably cant play football in 2021 at all.  Warford doesnt even appear.  Villanueva is waaaaaay to high.  Etc Etc Etc.  If I had to pick only from that list gimme Blythe and Turner.  Turner has to pass a Pollack check and a med check before he's one of my picks. Turner plays ORG, Blythe plays OC until Hopkins is good to go, and then Blythe and XSF can fight it out over OLG.   If XSF wins Blythe s the first man off the bench at any IOL spot, Price next. Jordan gets waived.  Adenii and the Big Johnson (sometimes also known as Fred) start to specialize - one backs up ORT, the other backs up OLT, though both would then be the third stringer at the opposite side.   If I can have one more, gimme Houston on a 1 year incentive-laden deal, or Watkins with the understanding that he is WR2 at best

The list is the list. Warford isn't on it because he sat out 2020, I am sure, and no one has seen him since 2019. 

If you prefer Warford, fine, but he's off-menu for a reason. That is pretty generally the best of what is left. I would take Turner or Blythe and be pleased at G. I need another Edge or IDL.  I have given up on WR unless it is Marquis Goodwin (who is off menu). 

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

Well, he talked trading down but it was in the context of a good QB still being available.  Theoretically a QB desperate team swaps round 1 picks and gives us their 2nd.  

He also said that there is a chance 4 QBs go 1-4, then we get to choose best non-QB in the draft.  

Lap said he’s wowed by Sewell’s physicality, but not wowed by the lesser (non-nfl) defenders he was blocking in the PAC 12.  He basically took a giant crap on the PAC 12 level of competition.  He said no matter what, they should sign a FA receiver, and draft receiver and line.

Speaking of Malik wright - he's dropped about a million hints this AM on twitter that they are about to sign Eli Apple. I guess he's okay as a depth CB. For damn sure better than Lashaun Sims. 

Radio saying Eli Apple has signed AND Spain has resigned.

The Bengals probably would have a couple more wins IF the secondary could have come up with some critical stops.   I really don't mind adding a former first round CB that has struggled to find his way.   We'll see if he can make the club and upgrade the position group.

Spain -  I viewed his return as a fail safe and so here we are.   Better than what they had going into last year but I don't think it solves the issues.    Really going to need health along that line.

Apple has a bunch of starts.   I wouldn't confuse him with Deon Sanders, but this notion he's completely useless as a FA sign is wrong.   If upgrades the 4th, 5th CB spot then so be it.

They couldn't stop crap on 3rd down year and that's with Lawson and Jackson playing well enough to be decent FA signings for another team.

13 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Apple’s fine. It’s a one year deal so almost certainly small change, gives us better depth at least and iirc he was with Lou in NY so maybe he can get more out of him.

I am ok with it as long as it is vet min and incentives, no guaranteed money. 

and Apple has to play special teams, tho I dont think he ever has.  this is a requirement for 4th/5th stringers

Otherwise, its not a good deal for the Bengals

I have no idea what happened to that guy - they keep thinking pairing him with guys he played with at OSU will help - so far it hasn't.  Now he's back with Bell and Hubbard in Ohio - kick the tires.  High ceiling/low risk signing.

I do wonder if he'll make it through camp/preseason cuts though.

Edit: Also forgot Lou drafted him I guess (assuming that)

So...if Hobson is clued in, and he unfortunately mostly has been so far, then...they are done at G in FA. From his latest column:

Which is why the Bengals were glad to get him back in a move that gives them the starting tandem of Spain at right guard and Xavier Su'a-Filo at left guard that worked the last four games of the season in a very intriguing offensive stretch.