Tribute to Andy Dalton

Wraith

I know this may or may not be a popular post but since this was likely Andy Dalton's last game in stripes...I wanted to post how much I appreciated his stewardship of this offense.  He has been an excellent leader, a great community contibutor.  Through everything Andy has always been a class act.

Statistically, Andy will leave Cincinnati as the greatest QB in Bengals history .  Thank you Andy Dalton and good luck in your next stop and with the rest of your career.

• Like 1

Sometimes players read these forums, so who knows. This is definitely not a bad thread though.

Andy Dalton was the QB I wanted in 2011, and I was thrilled when it came to pass. His tenure here more than justified the faith the franchise placed in him. With a couple luckier breaks here or there, even those postseason experiences could have been different. Either way, it was the longest stretch of sustained success the franchise has ever had. He ran the show through all of it, and when things got worse he never made a peep. He showed up, played his game, and represented Cincinnati as well as anyone could.

If the Bengals did one of those rings of honor, I'd want him on it someday.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I am going to throw a wild pitch here and say Andy will play out his contract while his replacement (probably Burrow) is groomed

I think he is a high ethics guy and will do his best to get the rookie ready to play

I wonder what Andy’s market would be?

He had a bad season.   So a 1 year bridge year grooming a rookie might help him in the next contract. 

I dunno because they already benched him for Finley.  I can guarantee he won’t keep Burrow off the field very long if at all.  So why would he want to stick around? 

I’m thinking they ask for a trade. 

16 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Like Marvin, I fear we will find out just how underappreciated he was.

Eh...disagree.

Andy was...fine. He was fine. But by no means do I worry about moving on from him - they just went 2-14 with him.

I know Andy will want a trade.  His agent requested one as soon as they found out he was benched.  

Don’t underestimate Mike’s intractable nature.  He could easily determine Andy’s value as a mentor/backup exceeds his trade value.  And when it comes to enforcing a contract in the face of player dissatisfaction, well, Mike seems to take a certain degree of satisfaction, almost glee, in doing that.

Just my opinion, but if they’re willing to pay Dalton for a year of mentoring/tutoring, it would increase the chances of success for Burrow.

46 minutes ago, COB said:

$17.5 million is Andy’s number for 2020?  Ha ha, yes, been nice knowing you Andy.  Please someone start a “Predicted Landing Place For Andy” thread.  

That number is actually quite manageable. Even accounting for it they still have like 50 million in cap space. And hanging on to Andy isn’t that bad an idea. You saw what happened to our first round pick from last year. And what happened at QB in Pitt this season.

Dalton finished with the 3rd worst passer rating in 2019 (78.3), just in front of Haskins and Hodges.  Had a terrible line most of the year and has a history in the league, so I'm sure that's taken with a grain-of-salt, but I can't think of a team that would pay him and also name him as their starting QB next year.  It "could" happen,  but at the moment there's no obvious landing spots.

If I had to guess, the Bengals' end-up cutting him and he signs elsewhere as a back-up or competing for a starting job.  My only concern with keeping him in Cincy as a backup would be that he might infect a rookie QB somehow, that leads to more turnovers or Andy-like issues.  

MB is a loyal guy and likely views Andy on par with AJ and Marvin, I wouldn't be surprised if he does pay him next year, never know.