HoosierCat

AJ: If I get tagged I will sit out the offseason

I think Atlanta has always been his offseason home.  Could be wrong.

Falcons have more than $50m cap room tied up in Julio and Ryan so it’s unlikely adding Green considering how bad that D is.   Dead money has Ryan and Julio locked in there. 

2 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Yea I’m pretty sure Atlanta is his main home, sounds more like he wants to play wherever Dalton plays lol. 

Sign AJ, then trade he and Dalton as a package, with their consent.  The numbers those two put up together are staggering.  One of the perennial stupid franchises like Washington or Oakland will give us something good for those two.

If we draft Burrow then I want Green with him.   Otherwise Ross is your only potential game changer and he is wildly inconsistent and injury prone.   

Burrow undoubtedly wants AJ Green here.  Dude just about singlehandedly made Andy’s career.  I suspect Mike will want him here, getting the two sides to agree to a deal, especially if AJ wants out, might be very difficult.

Give him a 4 year deal lucratively based on appearances, a pay per play basis.  Didn't they do something like that with Eifert (although his was a one year "prove it" deal)

• Like 1

AJ's injury cost him some serious money.    The Julio Jones extension was huge for Julio and there's no way you pay that kind of guaranteed money to AJ at this point.

If you still want AJ, then tagging him seems to be the best answer, because I don't think his camp would let them get 2/3 years unless it's approaching something like Julio Jones.

Julio got something like $64 mil guaranteed.    There's really no easy out for Atlanta, but they have him in their control through the 2023 season (4 more seasons).  He'll take up $20m in cap room on average until then.

Just no way you can do that when there's that risk he's on and off the football field.   That's 2-4 quality starters elsewhere.  

Tagging and trading AJ Green automatically opens up another hole on the team.   Unless you get a premium pick, I don't know if that makes much sense because the WR core without Green (when Ross is hurt) has very little deep speed and I don't think you want to saddle a young QB with that. 

I still say IF you tag and trade AJ Green you need multiple picks unless you are getting something in the top 15.  Otherwise it locks you into using pick #33 on a WR.   Then that pushes offensive line help and defensive help back further.     Removing AJ puts Burrow at risk.

I dont think Green will sign an incentive-laden contract. He wants his last (likely his last) big guarenteed money.

and Plenty of teams will line up to offer it to him

So fwiw I’m sitting here at lunch (late yes) at bdubs and the TV set to senior bowl coverage has as “new right now” that the Bengals are making re-signing Green an off-season priority. No details cause the volume isn’t on but there you go.

My view: to repeat, pay the man. It isn’t like they’ll do anything better with the money.

ETA