AJ: If I get tagged I will sit out the offseason UPDATE AJ tagged

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Yea I’m pretty sure Atlanta is his main home, sounds more like he wants to play wherever Dalton plays lol. 

Sign AJ, then trade he and Dalton as a package, with their consent.  The numbers those two put up together are staggering.  One of the perennial stupid franchises like Washington or Oakland will give us something good for those two.

• 2 weeks later...

Give him a 4 year deal lucratively based on appearances, a pay per play basis.  Didn't they do something like that with Eifert (although his was a one year "prove it" deal)

• Like 1

AJ's injury cost him some serious money.    The Julio Jones extension was huge for Julio and there's no way you pay that kind of guaranteed money to AJ at this point.

If you still want AJ, then tagging him seems to be the best answer, because I don't think his camp would let them get 2/3 years unless it's approaching something like Julio Jones.

Julio got something like $64 mil guaranteed.    There's really no easy out for Atlanta, but they have him in their control through the 2023 season (4 more seasons).  He'll take up $20m in cap room on average until then.

Just no way you can do that when there's that risk he's on and off the football field.   That's 2-4 quality starters elsewhere.  

Tagging and trading AJ Green automatically opens up another hole on the team.   Unless you get a premium pick, I don't know if that makes much sense because the WR core without Green (when Ross is hurt) has very little deep speed and I don't think you want to saddle a young QB with that. 

I still say IF you tag and trade AJ Green you need multiple picks unless you are getting something in the top 15.  Otherwise it locks you into using pick #33 on a WR.   Then that pushes offensive line help and defensive help back further.     Removing AJ puts Burrow at risk.

So fwiw I’m sitting here at lunch (late yes) at bdubs and the TV set to senior bowl coverage has as “new right now” that the Bengals are making re-signing Green an off-season priority. No details cause the volume isn’t on but there you go.

My view: to repeat, pay the man. It isn’t like they’ll do anything better with the money.

ETA

Going "All in" on Burrow is a 2 prong deal.   First awesome QB.  2nd - marketing.

To get full bang for your buck in both.   Keeping and most importantly getting a productive AJ Green helps for both.    Extend Mixon.    Get him a road grader.

If Burrow comes in and the team gets back to .500 football in 2020 and mixes in some playoff hope.   They'll sell a ton of tickets and have positive vibes after a period of staleness stemming from keeping Marvin too damn long.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2020 at 10:47 AM, HoosierCat said:

I don’t know what Tobin would say if the plan was actually “try to get Green on hometown discount or just let him walk.”  

But I hope that’s what they do.  Forget the tag, we’ve got good young receivers in here.  Either he works cheap here or send him down the road.  Throwing a pile of money at a constantly hurt vet is not how to rebuild this team around a new QB.

2 hours ago, COB said:

I don’t know what Tobin would say if the plan was actually “try to get Green on hometown discount or just let him walk.”  

But I hope that’s what they do.  Forget the tag, we’ve got good young receivers in here.  Either he works cheap here or send him down the road.  Throwing a pile of money at a constantly hurt vet is not how to rebuild this team around a new QB.

In principle I agree. But we both know this FO. They aren’t going to use the money to go get a top FA or two. They’ll just end up signing some trash and using the rest on Bobby Hart style deals because they have to spend the money someplace.

Signing AJ at least has the possibility of an impact, because when he’s healthy this is a different team. Otherwise it will just be used on guys who won’t make any difference.

When I think of AJ coming back, I think it benefits all to make it happen.
AJ knows the system here and while he's an amazing NFL WR, other systems may not cater to him in the same manner.
Also, if they are taking a shiny new QB, you have to give him someone to throw the ball to.  Just the stability AJ brings to that group is pretty big when healthy.

Now there's the question.  Is he healthy ??  Can he stay that way and is none of this is a chronic condition ??
If the answer is positive to those, you bring him back.  Even then however, he's not getting Julio Jones money.

I honestly have no idea the going rate of the tag and what financial sense that number would make, but AJ's not getting younger.
Would two years of the tag be doable from a money standpoint ??  Just keeping thoughts on the table.
Have to think the tag is the starting point for money from AJ's camp anyway. Right or wrong...

• 3 weeks later...

From Rotoworld: (sounds like a "story" written based on an opinion - nothing new these days I guess).  Mike Brown likes team friendly deals, yes, and doesn't over-pay much, if ever,  but the rhetoric is probably deserved and it's easy to pile on a guy who's had 4 losing seasons in a row, finishing it off with a 2-14 campaign with a rookie head coach, and likely depending on the draft again, and a rookie QB, to "turn it around."  It's all tall order folks.  AJ knows that, his time is limited, that he would prefer to play elsewhere would not surprise me at all.  I just think that's common sense, and likely what this "NFC Exec" is getting his opinion from.

An NFC executive told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler he thinks free agent A.J. Green "wants out of Cincinnati."

This doesn't come as a surprise given owner Mike Brown's history of not paying his players. Green has said he wants to avoid the franchise tag and there doesn't look to be much progress on a new deal. After giving Tyler Boyd a four-year, $43 million extension in July, it's possible the rebuilding Bengals let Green walk this offseason. Despite missing all 16 games last year, Green would easily land top-10 receiver money if he hits the open market.

SOURCE: ESPN
Feb 21, 2020, 5:25 PM ET
  •  

I love how they say they don’t pay their players while simultaneously mentioning they just paid Boyd 43 million on a 4 year extension.

AJ is a Bengal this season regardless of what he may or may not want. If he really wants out, go the route of tag and trade. If someone is willing to pay him top 10 receiver money, they would be willing to make a trade to get him.

4 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I love how they say they don’t pay their players while simultaneously mentioning they just paid Boyd 43 million on a 4 year extension.

AJ is a Bengal this season regardless of what he may or may not want. If he really wants out, go the route of tag and trade. If someone is willing to pay him top 10 receiver money, they would be willing to make a trade to get him.

I think he wants a contract, here or wherever he'll get that.  

I just can't see the Bengals' doing a tag-and-trade, bad PR,  knowing Brown it'll be the franchise tag and see what happens, and wait another year to make a decision. Can't say I blame him (Brown).  But who knows, I assume he'll just miss workouts and show-up to camp at least.  It'd be nice to see him working out with Burrow before that though.  If he's healthy at the deadline and they're in the tank again, maybe they trade him to a playoff team then possibly, who knows.

16 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I love how they say they don’t pay their players while simultaneously mentioning they just paid Boyd 43 million on a 4 year extension

Yeah Boyd was actually a good investment, over-paying (slightly) for subpar talent is probably more of a problem then "not paying anybody." (S. Williams, P. Brown,  Hart, Moobs etc.., etc..,).  They just don't flirt with the cap ceiling much and don't sign big FA deals, pretty low effort operation all-around.   Any team can just control and re-sign their core players, but the Bengals' rarely go beyond that.