Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup. It sure would be nice if they dipped a toe or two into FA in March and filled a hole or two ahead of the draft. I know, I know, crazy talk...

Joe Burrow will be set up to fail if this team is out of the playoff race by Halloween.      The best way to get up to .500 AND to protect Joe Burrow is via Joe Mixon.

Get him a road grader or 2.   That keeps Joe in manageable downs and distance.  Creates bigger windows to throw into.   Shifts total snaps back to our offense and away from the other team's offense so it helps our defense.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Joe Burrow will be set up to fail if this team is out of the playoff race by Halloween.      The best way to get up to .500 AND to protect Joe Burrow is via Joe Mixon.

Get him a road grader or 2.   That keeps Joe in manageable downs and distance.  Creates bigger windows to throw into.   Shifts total snaps back to our offense and away from the other team's offense so it helps our defense.

I like this approach. Capitalize on Burrow’s mobility by giving him a line that emphasizes the run. He doesn’t need pristine protection. Feed Mixon. Open things up even more for Burrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Daniel Jeremiah's lastest mock on NFL.com has a major jump for Mekhi Becton Louisville OT.   Going No. 4 overall to the Giants.    Not a great mock for the Bengals IF you want OL at #33.   5 OL go in first round.

This would set up Auburn's Wanogho to be available who will be at Senior bowl and Washington's Adams who will also be at Senior bowl.

Unfortunately IF you want WR he has them going fast in the first.   Justin Jefferson going at #24.

Just interesting to track who might be there at #33.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Well Daniel Jeremiah's lastest mock on NFL.com has a major jump for Mekhi Becton Louisville OT.   Going No. 4 overall to the Giants.    Not a great mock for the Bengals IF you want OL at #33.   5 OL go in first round.

This would set up Auburn's Wanogho to be available who will be at Senior bowl and Washington's Adams who will also be at Senior bowl.

Unfortunately IF you want WR he has them going fast in the first.   Justin Jefferson going at #24.

Just interesting to track who might be there at #33.

I saw one first round board from one of the usual draft heads that had nine WR with a first round grade - my guess is WR at #33 will be a slider with first round value. That's gonna annoy a lot of people if the board falls that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Rapport pod cast with Duke Tobin:

(First note: How visible Duke is once again for major football decisions on this team, last year was coaching search)

1. Love Burrow as a prospect - He had no bad games

2. Will considered trade offers and there is significant interest

3. It will be expensive to trade up

4. Love Burrow as a prospect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, membengal said:

I saw one first round board from one of the usual draft heads that had nine WR with a first round grade - my guess is WR at #33 will be a slider with first round value. That's gonna annoy a lot of people if the board falls that way. 

I'd like to see them go Offensive Line because I think you get double value in protection for Burrow by also helping Mixon.

However,  getting a quality targets for Burrow is another form of protection.   With the way the game is today there are so many throws to the sideline or with a couple yards LOS (basically a long hand off).   You have to have somebody to back defenders off the LOS and to remove them from pursuit.

They simply don't have that when Green and Ross are injured and they've been injured a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to be a deep draft for OL and even deeper for WR so yeah, at 33 I’m very interested to see what linemen are left. But WR is ok too. Would also consider a LB but it doesn’t look like a particularly strong year there there. That would be a good hole to fill in free agen...ah hahahaha, who am I kidding, it’s the Bengals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they select Burrow at 1 and then take anything BUT an OT with their r2 pick, I will be needing a new TV a few seconds later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they get a lantern-jawed gunslinger at 1, and a speed burner wideout at 33, that is by far the best case scenario because the intensity and duration of Mike’s resulting orgasm will undoubtedly prove fatal.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TJJackson said:

If they select Burrow at 1 and then take anything BUT an OT with their r2 pick, I will be needing a new TV a few seconds later.

Anything but OLine at 33.....they need as much help at OG as OT IMHO and it is possible that the best player available at 33 is going to be a Guard or a Center....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take a LB at 33. I won't complain about OL at any pick though apart from 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I knew where everyone was getting all this confidence, but I'll just shrug and say "okay cool". Definitely works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That also sounds fine. Thanks for heads up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiper’s  first mock, paywalled as usual, but the first couple picks are free. His pick is no surprise.

Quote

cin.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

1. Cincinnati Bengals

Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

Did you expect anything else here? The Bengals need a quarterback, and the Heisman Trophy-winning Burrow, coming off one of the greatest seasons in college football history, is the clear No. 1 quarterback in this class. Remember that the 2-14 Bengals can release former starter Andy Dalton with no dead-cap charge, so this can be a clean slate with Burrow -- who went to high school in Athens, Ohio -- taking over (and 2019 fourth-round pick Ryan Finley serving as backup). One more thing to remember: Cincinnati got zero snaps from last year's first-round pick Jonah Williams, so he'll help Burrow immediately. Now the Bengals have to get Burrow some weapons, starting with keeping free-agent receiver A.J. Green.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/28545312/2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-mel-kiper-early-first-round-nfl-draft-predictions-joe-burrow-qbs-more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jake with highlights from Lap on Hobs’ live q&a today:

Whole thread is worth a read but the main points from Lap:

— Burrow a lock at 1

— 33 will be BDPA regardless of position

— Hopkins is the starting center

— Bengals won’t trade any players except maybe Dalton

— Bengals will probably go after a vet backup qb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to get a vet tackle, experienced leader type guy.  Frees up that second pick, creates maturity and hopefully competence on the line, and gives our rookie 2.0 someone to learn from.  A role model.  
 

Allows us so much flexibility with our second pick if they do this.

 

Mike will never do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, COB said:

They need to get a vet tackle, experienced leader type guy.  Frees up that second pick, creates maturity and hopefully competence on the line, and gives our rookie 2.0 someone to learn from.  A role model.  

There’s this vet FA tackle out of LA available...Mitfurth, Whitburt, something like that, I forget his name exactly. Could be worth a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d rather Darly Williams at Tackle over Whit.    But of course wouldn’t be disappointed with them taking steps to solidify the line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So how do we feel about Patrick Queen at 33? Seems to be becoming a popular pick among the amateur mock set. I ended up with him on a TDN mock I did just for kicks the other day. Obviously had a great game vs Clemson. Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally fine with a LB at 33. Whether he's any good is a crapshoot, so whatever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×