2020 Draft

wraith said "The most important thing here to avoid is getting locked into a position for the second round selection."

sorry buddy, I disagree this time. If you invest in Joe Burrow, you have to protect that investment with OL selections in r2 and r3. and pick up a starting quality OL player or two in FA as well, preferably a star ORT if at all possible

BPA can wait for rounds 4 and later.

Protect Burrow.

One free agent o-lineman and another in the draft. Linebacker has to be made a priority in this draft as there are about zero in the FA pool and the draft class is not considered very strong.

Yes, protect Burrow but please improve the worst linebacking group in the NFL for the past two seasons.

• Like 1

Question I pose.   Is Isiah Simmons + Herbert + an extra third this year and an extra first rounder next year >< Joe Burrow.  

I ask this because the deal I keep hearing is all three Miami first rounders + their second third round + their first next year.  So if that is offered, you sit tight at 5, take Simmons or Chase Young if he falls inexplicably and then you package 18 and 26 to trade back into the top ten to take Herbert.  

I want to know your thoughts....

21 hours ago, TJJackson said:

wraith said "The most important thing here to avoid is getting locked into a position for the second round selection."

sorry buddy, I disagree this time. If you invest in Joe Burrow, you have to protect that investment with OL selections in r2 and r3. and pick up a starting quality OL player or two in FA as well, preferably a star ORT if at all possible

Protect Burrow.

There are other ways to protect Burrow than reaching for a player around or two too high.  Probably the best way is through FA.

34 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Question I pose.   Is Isiah Simmons + Herbert + an extra third this year and an extra first rounder next year >< Joe Burrow.  

I ask this because the deal I keep hearing is all three Miami first rounders + their second third round + their first next year.  So if that is offered, you sit tight at 5, take Simmons or Chase Young if he falls inexplicably and then you package 18 and 26 to trade back into the top ten to take Herbert.  

Give me Joe Burrow.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

I wouldn’t complain about that deal. I also wouldn’t complain if they turned it down and took Burrow.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Fuck no. 

burrow.

Again, they are in the drivers seat here.

Even though 4 first rounders is nothing to scoff at, that 3rd would need to be a 2nd to get me to take the offer seriously. 

i wouldn’t complain if they took that or they took Burrow. I said it before this season is really dependent on their use of free agency.

Just depends on how they want to skin the cat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

Simmons and Herbert would be an excellent haul by themselves. 

12 hours ago, Wraith said:

Personally I think you’ll have to take Herbert at 5 to ensure you get him. 
Then it’s a trade back up to get Simmons. 

They can’t leave this draft with out a top QB.   

• Like 1

So Lapham just addressed this exact trade in the Ask Lap Bengals.com podcast ( it's a good listen, recommend it).  What he said was this....."if someone is willing to give up four firsts and a third for Burrow, what am I missing out on?". While it would be tempting, I have to agree with the majority here, just take Burrow and move on.

• Like 1

At this point you have worry about Burrow handling the pressure of Cincinnati turning a trade like that down for him and/or Miami making the trade for him.

That's a lot of pressure added onto a pile of expectations already.

IF the Bengals keep NO. 1 overall and select Burrow they must do it on the backs of an already successful Free Agency period.     They can't be rolling out the Andre Smith's,  John Jerry' and throwing to an UDFA on opening day expecting Burrow to save them.  

Burrow will struggle if that happens and then it becomes Cincinnati fucked up passing on that trade.   Then the media has already planted the seed that Burrow will not and can not win here.   If he doesn't it's Mike Browns fault.    Becomes easier for Burrow to disengage like Palmer and point the finger.

Burrow faces a deeper rebuild than Palmer and Dalton that's a fact.   They need some magic with injuries, prior drafted players coming around and need to hit on some cheap FAs, and draft picks.

Get Mixon secured for Burrow's first 4 years, period.   Get Mixon a road grader somewhere on that line.   Make sure AJ returns.    Rub some rabbit fur on Ross, Tate, and Eifert.  

If this team approaches 6 wins with an improving offense people will buy into it. 

I have ZERO worries about Joe Burrow and pressure. Good lord. You can worry about what you want to but he just carved up every pressure situation possible. 

No. No trades that cost them Burrow are worth considering. 

Here was my latest mock this AM on fanspeak - I traded back twice in the 2nd to pick up an extra 4th and 5th. I really like this one. Used Matt Miller's updated Big Board - computer making selections for all but the Bengals:

1: R1P1
QB JOE BURROW
LSU

55: R2P23
CB NOAH IGBINOGHENE
AUBURN

65: R3P1
LB MALIK HARRISON
OHIO STATE

104: R4P1
WR DENZEL MIMS
BAYLOR

115: R4P12
G DAMIEN LEWIS
LSU

147: R5P1
OT TREY ADAMS
WASHINGTON

157: R5P11
G JONAH JACKSON
OHIO STATE

180: R6P1
S JEREMY CHINN
SOUTHERN ILLINOIS

215: R7P1
EDGE TREVIS GIPSON
TULSA

I've said it before.  You take the shot at Burrow at #1 and try to turn the organization around on his talent.

I think they should listen to anything a team has to offer, but again, I would want more.
They are in the drivers seat and shouldn't just give the #1 overall away.

The Chiefs moved up 17 spots to #10 in swapping first rounders with the Bills, giving up a 3rd that year and a first the following year.
That's a steal for the Chiefs.  Knowing what we know now about Mahomes, who wouldn't make that deal ??  Most teams would give up much more.
If the Bengals view Burrow in being able to match that kind of production, how much should they ask for if they were actually considering a trade ??
If other teams view Burrow in that same way, how much would they be willing to give up ??

Again, I don't want to trade the pick, but for me to take anyone seriously, that Dolphins scenario is the STARTING POINT and it goes up from there.

On 2/5/2020 at 7:19 PM, TJJackson said:

Protect Burrow.

Sorry TJ, but according to Hobs the offensive line is JUST FINE SO EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP ALREADY (seriously Geoff is getting mega-crotchety these days).

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-going-deep-on-narratives

We’ll be going defense in the second, third AND fourth rounds, sayeth Hobson, because the O is aLrEaDy LoAdEd 11!1!

Also you can tell the team is committed to winning because it bought Zac Taylor a new kitchen or something...

17 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Sorry TJ, but according to Hobs the offensive line is JUST FINE SO EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP ALREADY (seriously Geoff is getting mega-crotchety these days).

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-choice-going-deep-on-narratives

We’ll be going defense in the second, third AND fourth rounds, sayeth Hobson, because the O is aLrEaDy LoAdEd 11!1!

Also you can tell the team is committed to winning because it bought Zac Taylor a new kitchen or something...

Make no doubt they have some young players on the line, for sure.      I wouldn't go as far to call them anything but young at this point.

They got needs everywhere so it would be hard to argue against really any position group for draft picks.   I just hope we aren't hearing/reading about Lawson fork lifting Fred Johnson into Burrow's lap every TC practice.    Atkins treating Price and Jordan like rag dolls.

That's been the TC story for 3 years and every offseason I'm sure Hobs was reporting the bright and upside of the line.   The d- line domination has been a pre cursor to horrible regular season performances for the o-line.    

I would say they don't really have a run stuffing D-line either or haven't had one for two seasons.  

• Like 1

The o-line "will be the surprise storyline of the year" ??

Sure, once they get a FA RT capable of actually being, you know, a RT... and another solid pick.

Really ??  John Miller ??  Bobby Hart ?? and a rookie waiver wire guy are the answers to the o-line problem from 2019 ??
They WERE the o-line problem from 2019.  Talk about trying to spin a positive picture.
I will tell you what i'm positive of, the o-line sucks fat monkey balls.  There's my positivity.

What's that ?? Mixon led the NFL in "CARRIES" for the second half of the season ??  Well, no shit ???
The same second half of the season they went 2-6, including losses to the Browns, Jets, Raiders, and Dolphins ??
Thank God the o-line was so stout that you can justify their success by how many "CARRIES" Mixon had.

THIS kind of bullshit is what drove me away last season and what will drive me away after the offseason if there is truth to it.
THIS line of thought is why people in the media say the Bengals aren't committed to winning Super Bowls.

FUCK YOU GE-OFF !!!

• Like 1

I actually appreciated Angry Hobson in that Q&A. I don't agree with all of his assessments of things, but I like that he is kicking the media narrative in the nuts. Also, regarding the offensive line, he isn't wrong to continually repeat that Jonah Williams exists. I want more than that too, but I rarely see fans even acknowledge that he is there. When the Bengals are accused of not being committed to developing/improving the line, Jonah Williams is the clear evidence to the contrary.

Whatever Hobson's viewpoint anyway, if a quality OLman is available at the top of round 2 or 3, I think they'll take him.

I'll join the chorus of boos if free agency comes and goes with no meaningful changes though.

• Like 1

LOVE the Williams pick and can't wait to see him play this season. 

After that, while the cupboard isn't bare, it isn't exactly stacked either.
At least not to the extent that the cups can't be upgraded.

Media narrative ??  Again, I couldn't care less about any of that crap.
Meaningless crap that should be given the same attention that my loose bowel movement from this morning got.

As a matter of fact, the splash and splatter of that massive download was more epic than what's being written about the Bengals at the moment.

• Like 1