What to do for 2017 and beyond!

combatbengal

9 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Winning a NFL Championship isn't a "take your turn" kinda thing.   The Bengals had the teams worthy in 2013-2015.   They flopped.

I think Mike needs to read this.  He just waits around.  That is kind of my point on the quarterback they have.  It's not that they have Andy, or that they play him and depend on him.  

My issue is that they have completely settled on Andy.  There seems to be no attempt to find someone better, to upgrade if possible.  My fear is they'll fix the holes in their roster, then, with plenty of precedent, Andy will go out and have a horrible playoff game.  

While they had an active and competent Brett Favre, the Packers went out and drafted Aaron Rodgers in 2005.  I looked it up to determine how they had the balls to do it with Favre sitting there, the ultimate lantern-jawed gunslinger.  Found this quote from General Manager Ted Thompson, "It wasn't necessarily that comfortable taking that position maybe as some other things we'd like to have done, but you make draft choices and draft-day decisions based on the long-term best interests of your organization. I think that's what we did today."

That move worked.  This is just my opinion, but I think Mike and Marvin are basically on the backstretch and neither of them want to work that hard.  It is very difficult to pick the right QB then develop him.  Teams fail at it a lot more than they succeed.  Mike knows it all too well.  The path of least resistance is to stick with Andy.  And Pacman.  And Peko.  You don't have to coach them up, don't have to teach them the offense, don't have to go through the inevitable growing pains.  You just show up for training camp, print some stupd-ass t-shirts, and plug and play the same old roster.  

Until the Bengals punch the ticket to the Superbowl or even the second round of the playoffs; anything and everything can be questioned.   They definitely appear to be in a comfort zone and it's a matter of what cogs of the machine you want to replace or lump blame on as a fan.

I personally don't find a lot of blame in them locking onto Dalton after 2015 and 2016.   Very high level Qb play, IMO.    But whatever they've done hasn't translated past the Wild Card round.

Agreed...  I don't think Dalton is the largest question for this team.
Not even top three in my opinion.

The pass rush, o-line, and LB corps all need major help.
Not to mention the draft hasn't been a true predictor of talent at the QB position.

How many Super Bowls has Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Manziel, Manuel, Luck, RGIII, Tannehill, Weeden, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder played in ??  Those are all of the 1st round QB's taken since Dalton was taken at the top of the 2nd in 2011.  When looking at the QB prospects this year, I don't expect that number to change anytime soon.  So give me a capable Dalton and keep building.  IF the chance to improve presents itself early on, then fine.  I just don't think that's been the case recently.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cincyhokie said:

Hobson headlines today with the 35th anniversary loss of SB 16 and "what could have been".  Shining moments in Bengals lore for sure.  35.  Years.  Ago.

Let it go.  

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Super-close/44160d7a-ecb7-4c88-b7bc-901f764571bf

Is it just me or is it utterly pathetic that the official team web site publishes a story (actually two since they did the other SB a week or so ago IIRC) that's basically, "hey, remember when we lost a Super Bowl? Good times, huh?"

I mean, would Coca-Cola put up a story about, "hey, remember when we introduced New Coke, pissed everyone off and lost a bunch of money?" Or howzabout Exxon running with, "hey, remember when we ran a tanker full of oil aground in Alaska and spilled shit everywhere?"

This team is a joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Is it just me or is it utterly pathetic that the official team web site publishes a story (actually two since they did the other SB a week or so ago IIRC) that's basically, "hey, remember when we lost a Super Bowl? Good times, huh?"

I mean, would Coca-Cola put up a story about, "hey, remember when we introduced New Coke, pissed everyone off and lost a bunch of money?" Or howzabout Exxon running with, "hey, remember when we ran a tanker full of oil aground in Alaska and spilled shit everywhere?"

This team is a joke.

It's pathetic.   These stories and other have run their course.      I would say if Hobson has written about a subject X amount of times, it deserves recognition inside the stadium.   

Can't do that! 

For instants, I'm so freaking tired of the Bill Walsh invented the West Coast Offense in Cincinnati.  OK.   I would have something displayed stating that FACT and announcing that FACT for every media eye to see and ear to hear.

1. Freezer Bowl

2. Greg Cook

3. Superbowl 16 and 23 what could have been.......

All these have run their course, IMO.

• Like 1

With the thoughts that you'd be thinkin', you could be another Lincoln, if you only had a brain...

Whenever the Bengals have made a decision on a kicker for the long haul in the Marvin Lewis Era, they’ve always opted for the recycled veteran in the Shayne Graham and Mike Nugent mold before they ended their careers in Cincinnati as the club’s second- and third all-time leading scorers.

It’s believed they’re talking to Randy Bullock, the six-year veteran they signed at the end of last season to succeed Nugent. Even with Bullock expected to be in the fold, it’s believed the Bengals are going to keep looking and that very well may mean a rookie gets a look

Sure, why not, let's bring back the kicker who couldn't hit a game-winner that we signed because the other kicker couldn't hit one either. Makes perfect sense.

“We’re looking for points. That’s the priority. You saw how important it was in the championship games on Sunday,” said Simmons as he went into Tuesday morning’s weigh-in at the Mobile Convention Center.

Yes, a Cincinnati Bengals coach just pointed out the importance of points in a football game. Specifically the games last weekend. What the actual fuk? So points are not important in other games or something? WHAT DOES THAT SENTENCE MEAN????

Tough crowd, lol.    Simmons has a good track record.    He got good mileage out of Nuge and Shayne.     He also identified the good kicker but woman beater from the Giants. 

Plus they scouted his dude for a while and missed out on him as the story goes.   They also have the development kicker from Louisville they signed also.

So reading that Marvin wants a contract extension, he thinks it's what's best for the team. 

So I guess we should expect to hear about an extension sometime soon! 

Im sure we will also hear about an extension for Adam Jones as well, because he deserves another shot after all.

What a joke this organization is, 14 years of this shit, how many more do you got in you Marvin. All I know is I'm not sure how many more I have in me! 

I have really become uninterested, and really bored with what this team has done and become. It seems like the fan base on this forum feels the same way. I don't know maybe something exciting will happen this offseason but I'm not holding my breath on that.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

I have really become uninterested, and really bored with what this team has done and become. 

Agreed.  It is a product, we are the consumers. Nothing more, nothing less.

A business needs to update and improve their product, you can't keep running the same shit out there every year.  If Ford didn't change or improve the F-150 for 15 years, no one would buy such a stale, tired, truck.

One final thought - if Marvin had won the AFC at some point, if Andy was a top ten quarterback, if our defense was top 3 - that would give us hope.  And hope is all you need.  People survived concentration camps on hope.

Personally, I've lost all hope that this team, or any version of the Bengals under Marvin, is going to do anything meaningful.  Mike's a stubborn old man.  Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last season, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.

I've enjoyed cheering on the Texans with my son over the years.
It's fun to see him enjoy his team so much.  I have no such joy with the Bengals.
In all seriousness, I'm really about done.

This team is an AMC Pacer (for those old enough to remember).
Ugly, inefficient, and now obsolete.

On a side note: nice GNR reference there COB !!!

I THINK or at least have rationalized why Marvin is retained.   I think it's Katie and looking towards the future when she'll eventually become the focus.   Mike by just remaining to be alive still takes all the arrows even though he's just grandpa driving players around in a golf cart.

Marvin is stale as stale can be.   Boring.    It would be nice to have somebody refreshing so I would once again desire to listen to a weekly coach's press conference.

Marvin's work has been done for this franchise.  It's long past due to rip that band aid off and take a chance and risk failure to attempt to reach the next level.

I just can't see Lewis coaching in a Superbowl.  There's no freaking way he wins enough games in the regular season to get a bye no matter how good his team is.   Then I can't see him winning 1 playoff game vs. let along 3 to get to a Superbowl or heck even 2 if he could get a bye.

Give him an extension and he's here through that whole deal and it's blah, blah, blah, t-shirt, blah, blah, blah....

3 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

This team is an AMC Pacer (for those old enough to remember).
Ugly, inefficient, and now obsolete.

Oh yeah, the Pacer. One of the guys I carpooled with in high school owned one. What a hunk of garbage.

Of course, I was driving around in a rusting VW bus with no heat and a block of wood for a parking brake, so it's not like I wasn't jealous.

Today in "Howlers from Hobson":

MOBILE, Ala. - The subject is edge pass rushers. The Bengals need one and if there aren’t any high first-round possibilities here at the Senior Bowl this week then there is a raft of possibilities in the later rounds.

And that’s where the Bengals may have to get him because it’s unclear if there is going to be one good enough to take with the ninth pick in the first round.

Seriously???? I have yet to see a mock where Barnett and Thomas are both gone by 9. But then again I know this team and the defensive line and they always think they can find gems in the 4th 'cause it happened once with Geno and Dunlap...