Bengals @ Giants Game Thread

HoosierCat

And so begins the second half of the season. Since it's 1) a prime time game and 2) after the bye, I'm not expecting a win. Marvins teams always come out of the bye flat as pancakes, and the prime time struggles are well known. Wish I could be more hopeful...

For those keeping score, after Sunday the Bengals have fallen to the 13th seed in the AFC playoff race, a whole 3 spots above the Browns.

Predictions for the division this week: Cowboys over Steelers, Browns over Ravens.

The AFC West is going to prevent the Bengals from mattering in the wild card race.  It's the AFC North or nothing.

I can't claim to be enthusiastic about this game either.  A win could turn the season around in a big way.  They'll need to get a few monkeys off their backs at once to pull it off.

I think all three games in the division are much pretty toss-ups.  There's no good way to judge Giants/Bengals because the teams never see each other and they're both mired in mediocrity right now.  One team will suck more than the other.

Cleveland is going to beat somebody, and a division game is always a potential place for that.  Hue especially has a thorough understanding of how to attack the Ravens defense after stepping on them in both of his Bengals stints.

The Cowboys have been better than Pittsburgh all year, but it's still a home game for the Steelers and they're not as bad as they looked yesterday.

• Like 1

Just looked up the opponents for the 5-3 New York Giants.  They've beaten the Cowboys, the Saints, the Ravens, the Rams, and the Eagles.  They lost to Redskins, the Vikings, and the Packers.  All 3 losses were consecutive, weeks 3, 4, and 5.  The Giants are currently on a 3 game winning streak.  

Primetime + after a bye week = foot/shotgun/triggered pulled. It's Marvins way, it's what he does.

The AFCN is still up for grabs, and wouldn't it be totally ironic that the Bengals poorest season for some years could possibly result in a post season game via the divisional title and then actually winning a playoff game. 

3 hours ago, volcom69 said:

Lol yea because this team is so great no change is needed lol! I wonder about this guy sometime 

Problem is Marvin your good players are playing like shit, so maybe figure that out.

The no playoff wins thing isnt that surprising now is it?

Lol, the original article on the site has been taken down. It had the same quote that appears on PFT.

Here's the original ESPN report: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18010728/cincinnati-bengals-coach-marvin-lewis-downplays-defensive-coordinator-warning-lineup-changes

Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther might be ready to make changes to his lineup, but it doesn't appear that coach Marvin Lewis feels the same way.

If he does, he's not ready to reveal that to the public yet.

Guenther said last week that he expected to give some of the younger defenders more playing time after his defense gave up more than 500 yards to the Washington Redskins prior to the bye.

"We have a lot of guys here who have been fixtures in our system for a long time," Guenther said. "But it's like I told them, it's a production business. Even though you've been that kind of guy that's been around here, if I think there is a younger player or somebody else that can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 snaps, I have to look at that."

But Lewis appeared to squash the notion of younger players replacing veterans in his weekly television show on Wednesday.

"I don't," Lewis told Bengals radio announcer Dan Hoard when asked if he anticipated younger players getting more snaps. "Paul shouldn't have ... you have to be careful doing that. We're going to keep working and guys will earn opportunities as we go. But you've got to earn opportunities. We're not going to just make a wholesale change and so forth.

"Our good players are expected to play good and I think that's part of it. They have to play up to a certain level all the time. We have guys doing that on offense, but we have to get the same throughout the football team in every area. And we have to continue to coach better -- that's part of the responsibility as well."

• Like 1

Normally I wouldn't view any sign of dissension in the coaching ranks as good, but this...you know what? More, please. I defend Marvin based on the belief that, given how our front office works, we wouldn't get anyone better. But his continual deference to veterans, even when they are clearly playing poorly, is maybe the most frustrating part of his coaching and it's good to see it get called out. I hope Paulie keeps pushing. I mean,what does he have to lose, his gig as coach of a bad defense? Zim wanted him, I'm sure he wouldn't have trouble finding another job, especially with evidence that he was blocked from making changes he wanted to by the head coach. So you go, Paulie. Unleash hell.

• Like 1