Bengals @ Cardinals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

And here's the whole Marvez interview:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-andy-dalton-aj-green-marvin-lewis-marvez-exclusive-111815

Rather mundane IMO. Treads over some well-plowed ground (like the practice bubble) and contains a couple Mike-speak gems like this (talking about teams in LA):

I have thoughts that are still forming. I want to hear what others think. Some of the thoughts I have are not consistent. They're conflicting. We have one or two holes for three pegs. The math doesn't work. How do you sort that out? 

"I have thoughts that are still forming." Sounds like a Harvey Korman line from Blazing Saddles...

One little detail I didn't know pops out at the very end, why Mike always votes no on instant replay: because Paul didn't want it. So he does it in deference to the memory of his dad. Good for him.

I'm still trying to figure out this run game? Hill blows this year, he is not the same guy, only thing I can think of is they don't use a fullback much with him. Maybe he needs a fullback and over 20 some carries to be successful.

Gio has been awesome, but refuses to stick with the run when he is in. I know Dalton has been pretty good this year, but he could be that much better if Hue would stick to a running game. Hopefully they figure something out.

22 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

And here's the whole Marvez interview:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/cincinnati-bengals-owner-mike-brown-andy-dalton-aj-green-marvin-lewis-marvez-exclusive-111815

Rather mundane IMO. Treads over some well-plowed ground (like the practice bubble) and contains a couple Mike-speak gems like this (talking about teams in LA):

"I have thoughts that are still forming." Sounds like a Harvey Korman line from Blazing Saddles...

One little detail I didn't know pops out at the very end, why Mike always votes no on instant replay: because Paul didn't want it. So he does it in deference to the memory of his dad. Good for him.

I'm a fan of Mike Brown.  The 90s weren't what anyone wanted, but he learned and actually turned out to be right about a lot of the issues that people mocked him for.

Voting no on replay just because his dad didn't like it is stupid.  Progress is achieved as people reform their opinions based on current evidence before them, not slavish adherence to an opinion formed in 1958 in Cleveland Municipal Stadium. The world has changed, football has changed, technology has changed.  Even Mike Brown has changed.  If he were alive today Paul would base his opinion on the circumstances currently facing the league, not what he believed fifty years ago.

16 minutes ago, COB said:

Voting no on replay just because his dad didn't like it is stupid. 

No, it isn't. Paul's objections were that it broke the flow of the game, and that it didn't apply to everything, both criticisms that are still made today. I don't object to instant replay, but if it went away tomorrow I wouldn't complain.

20 minutes ago, volcom69 said:

I'm still trying to figure out this run game? Hill blows this year, he is not the same guy, only thing I can think of is they don't use a fullback much with him. Maybe he needs a fullback and over 20 some carries to be successful.

Gio has been awesome, but refuses to stick with the run when he is in. I know Dalton has been pretty good this year, but he could be that much better if Hue would stick to a running game. Hopefully they figure something out.

I suspect Hill's issues are deeper than the fullback thing. He's on pace for about as many carries as he had last year (222) but 400 or so fewer yards. He's averaging almost two yards less a carry. There's been speculation by Lapham that he has an undisclosed knee injury that occurred in the first game and has been hampering him ever since. I've learned to trust Lap's instincts on things like that.

We saw the problem with Gio last year when they used him as the No. 1 back and he got hurt before half the season was up. He's just not built to be that 25-carry-a-game guy. Certainly they need to keep him involved but I would rather them try less Hill, more Burkhead.

AZ injury report:

DNP: CB Justin Bethel (sick), WR John Brown (hammy), G Jon Cooper (knee), WR Michael Floyd (hammy), LB Markus Golden (ankle), Iupati (head/neck), DT Cory Redding (ankle)

Limited: Fitzgerald (ankle), S Rashad Johnson(ribs), C Lyle Sendlein (shoulder)

Hello Bengals Fans,

I am here to represent a perspective from the Arizona Cardinals.  There is little focus here on Palmer's history with the Bengals although most fans are aware of it. We naturally expect to win the game in our house. But this is the NFL and losses can happen. On paper we should win we are ranked number 1 in offense and number 3 in defense but games are not played on paper. 

We expect to be able to score on anyone although we know you have a good defense.  We put up 39 points on the Seahawks it should have been 2 more as there was a blown call on a safety.  It has been a long time since anyone has done that to Seattle and especially in their house. You have a better Oline, better receivers and overall a better offense than Seattle.  However I think Seattle still has the best defense in the game (they are ranked #2 now mainly because of what we did to them). AJ Green will test Patrick Peterson who had a shut down game in Seattle. I am hoping for an injury free game for all.

1 hour ago, CardinalMan said:

Hello Bengals Fans,

I am here to represent a perspective from the Arizona Cardinals.  There is little focus here on Palmer's history with the Bengals although most fans are aware of it. We naturally expect to win the game in our house. But this is the NFL and losses can happen. On paper we should win we are ranked number 1 in offense and number 3 in defense but games are not played on paper. 

We expect to be able to score on anyone although we know you have a good defense.  We put up 39 points on the Seahawks it should have been 2 more as there was a blown call on a safety.  It has been a long time since anyone has done that to Seattle and especially in their house. You have a better Oline, better receivers and overall a better offense than Seattle.  However I think Seattle still has the best defense in the game (they are ranked #2 now mainly because of what we did to them). AJ Green will test Patrick Peterson who had a shut down game in Seattle. I am hoping for an injury free game for all.

Good read Cardinal Dude. Pretty much what I'm hearing. I too live in Arizona.

1 hour ago, CardinalMan said:

Hello Bengals Fans,

hello, here is another Bengals fan that live at Arizona as well. I have one things to say. yes Seahawks have nbr 2 defense but does yards really matter? Seahawks is number 7 in Defense scoring allow. Bengals is number 1 in that.

12 hours ago, Dimster28 said:

hello, here is another Bengals fan that live at Arizona as well. I have one things to say. yes Seahawks have nbr 2 defense but does yards really matter? Seahawks is number 7 in Defense scoring allow. Bengals is number 1 in that.

I agree that points allowed is an important measure, I don't know the rationale behind NFL.Com selecting yards as the key measure. I still believe by subjective measures that the Seahawks have the most formidable defense, they are very hard to run on and the Legion Of Boom is dangerous to pass on plus Pete Carroll is an excellent defensive coach. The Seahawks have a weak offense that puts more pressure on the defense.  And they have had problems earlier in the season with holdouts. It is hard to compare teams who haven't played each other recently. 

We have both won against the Seahawks but we played them with their full defensive complement.  This game will come down to how well we match up individually and we won't know that until Sunday night. We will have the home field advantage so there is no excuses if we lose. I just hope officiating doesn't affect the outcome of the game.

Right now the defense looks OK but we are hurting on offense.  Both starting guards have injury issues and 2 of our 3 top receivers have issues as well.  I do expect Iupati to play on Sunday and probably John Brown.  Mke Floyd may not be ready which is a blow as he is big, strong and fast and did a number on Richard Sherman.

It is definitely going to be a close game.  I feel a little more confident that Palmer doesn't have his deep threats, Floyd and Brown. Although I do think that our O line needs to step it up so Dalton can continue doing what he has been doing all season, completing long passes, especially down the left side.  Here is a cool breakdown of Dalton's pass game and what we need to do Sunday to take home a win: https://realfootballnetwork.com/2015/11/18/cin-ari-andy-dalton-passing-map/ 

CM:

Always good to hear from reasonable fans from other teams

I wont be surprised whoever wins this game, I am just hoping our offense (and Eifert in particular) plays better this game than last

This game is extra important to many of us because of The Quitter, even though I can say with confidence that his quitting made us a better team in the long run

I've always been partial to Football Outsiders' DVOA rankings and by those, you really couldn't ask for a more even matchup. As of this week:

Offensive DVOA: Cincy #2, Arizona #3

Defensive DVOA: Arizona #6, Cincy #8

ST DVOA: Cincy #10, Arizona #14

Overall: Arizona #2, Cincy #3

17 hours ago, CardinalMan said:

We put up 39 points on the Seahawks 

Uh, if you guys score 39 points against the Bengals, you will win.  In fact if you score 39 points against the Bengals, our team will melt down, pacman will probably pick a fight on the sideline, and this board will be in for a big kablosion.  Love your weather, and I love the mechanical tray concept you have in your stadium for growing grass outdoors and using it indoors.  Your QB is a gutless wiener who will someday write a book on how to approach the receiver after he misses him by ten yards and make a bunch of meaningless hand signals, trying to pantomime what it was he really wanted the receiver to do, of course the book will have a chapter on how both parties in this hapless charade must wear a look of utter confusion on their faces.  Your quarterback will probably have to donate all proceeds from said book to a southern California charity chosen by the evil overlord that controls his every thought and movement (his wife).  

On 17/11/2015, 21:07:11, BengalszoneBilly said:

The sentiment I'm hearing right now out here in Arizona is they are expecting to easily hand the Bengals their second consecutive loss on Sunday night.

You getting to the game Billy ???

28 minutes ago, Scottishbengal said:

You getting to the game Billy ???

I WAS going with my boss and his family until it got flexed to an night game. He didn't want to do the late thing with little kids. I'm bummed.

1 hour ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

I WAS going with my boss and his family until it got flexed to an night game. He didn't want to do the late thing with little kids. I'm bummed.

Look at it this way - if you stay home and watch it you can watch all the replays, have a perfect front row seat for the whole game, and have all the snacks and drinks and stuff you want without paying like twelve bucks for a hot dog and eight bucks for a coke.  It's a tradeoff.  Also if you laugh when Palmer gets his head slammed into the turf by Geno you won't get your own head slammed by anger-filled Cardinals fan.  

1 hour ago, COB said:

Look at it this way - if you stay home and watch it you can watch all the replays, have a perfect front row seat for the whole game, and have all the snacks and drinks and stuff you want without paying like twelve bucks for a hot dog and eight bucks for a coke.  It's a tradeoff.  Also if you laugh when Palmer gets his head slammed into the turf by Geno you won't get your own head slammed by anger-filled Cardinals fan.  

I guess I should have added it wouldn't have been my first NFL game, but it would have been my first Bengals game. Maybe next year.

6 hours ago, Bengalsfan18 said:

It is definitely going to be a close game.  I feel a little more confident that Palmer doesn't have his deep threats, Floyd and Brown. Although I do think that our O line needs to step it up so Dalton can continue doing what he has been doing all season, completing long passes, especially down the left side.  Here is a cool breakdown of Dalton's pass game and what we need to do Sunday to take home a win: https://realfootballnetwork.com/2015/11/18/cin-ari-andy-dalton-passing-map/ 

Bruce Arians loves the deep shots and Carson's arm is supposedly stronger than ever.  I think it likely that Brown plays if not BA may use JJ Nelson he is even faster than Brown.  JJ is a rookie and a little raw on route running and is a bit skinny also he doesn't have the timing yet with Carson. Bruce Arians and Steve Keim have built the O around speed we have three RBS that can take it to the bank anytime.  Chris Johnson is maybe a step slower but has the fastest time (at least among RBS if not overall at the combine) and the other two RBs are not far behind. 

As a Cardinal fan I am more worried about the state of our Oline against your D, especially if the starting guards can't go. We do have good depth there though.  Our LBs are not as good as yours which is our major weakness not bad but not elite either. Our DBs and safeties are on a par with the Legion of Boom. Patrick Pederson and the Honey Badger should be all pro for years to come. Despite goading, Carson refuses to talk about what went wrong between him and your owner saying there will be a time to tell his side of the story. 

If any of you are going to the game I think you will find that Cardinal fans are generally well behaved toward opposing fans. Only the 49er fans and Cowboy fans get them riled up as both these fandoms are a bit obnoxious in our stadium.