Bengals @ Cardinals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

Logically, based on those teams history, NONE of them should have won a trophy in the Super Bowl era BUT they defied their history and defeated the logic which in itself PROVES franchise history does not predict Super Bowl wins.

This is exactly why some on the board want to ignore the argument of team history.  

One more weird fact- 

NY Jets 1968 champs 

Shares the biggest market in the NFL to this day and won the trophy right after the merger.  

The Jets have NEVER appeared again in a Super Bowl.

GregCook68 said:

Kelly and Marino played with one team. If Deion had stayed with Atlanta, how many rings you think he'd have?

How many will remember names like Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Jim McMahon, and Mark Rypien?

---------------------------------------

Based on history, Deion wouldn't have won any Super Bowls with Falcons because the franchise never has.   But that's all hypothetical.  We can't say that having future HOFer Deion on the Falcs wouldn't change the destiny of the franchise.  Just no way to do that. He could of even suffered a career ending injury on their dome's turf. It's like saying keeping Takeo Spikes and Corey Dillon would have given the Bengals a SB win.  Hypothetical.

As for the QBs you mentioned, people do remember them because they won in the SB.  People remember Kelly and Marino kind of like modern day Phillip Rivers..... (It's a stretch for me personally but some draw the comparison) since they think those guys should win a super bowl based on their talent.  Thrown in Warren Moon.  Throw in Barry Sanders.  Bruce Smith.  Anthony Munoz, Kenny Anderson, Eddie Edwards, Lemar Parrish, Ken Riley, Greg Cook...

and we are back to:

Who Dey Think Gonna Beat Them Modern Day Bengals!

9 hours ago, GapControl said:

GregCook68 said:

Kelly and Marino played with one team. If Deion had stayed with Atlanta, how many rings you think he'd have?

How many will remember names like Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Jim McMahon, and Mark Rypien?

---------------------------------------

Based on history, Deion wouldn't have won any Super Bowls with Falcons because the franchise never has.   But that's all hypothetical.  We can't say that having future HOFer Deion on the Falcs wouldn't change the destiny of the franchise.  Just no way to do that. He could of even suffered a career ending injury on their dome's turf. It's like saying keeping Takeo Spikes and Corey Dillon would have given the Bengals a SB win.  Hypothetical.

As for thq11e QBs you mentioned, people do remember them because they won in the SB.  People remember Kelly and Marino kind of like modern day Phillip Rivers..... (It's a stretch for me personally but some draw the comparison) since they think those guys should win a super bowl based on their talent.  Thrown in Warren Moon.  Throw in Barry Sanders.  Bruce Smith.  Anthony Munoz, Kenny Anderson, Eddie Edwards, Lemar Parrish, Ken Riley, Greg Cook...

and we are back to:

Who Dey Think Gonna Beat Them Modern Day Bengals!

II watched Cook at Nippert. Fond memories. 

We are rooting for the same thing, but I'm like the old pre-2004 Red Sox fan.  Rooting and never say die, but always waiting for the other shoe to drop, as it always did until 2004, most memorable was the 1975 and 1986 WS. I have several friends that are Sox fans.

History, was all they had. Yes, each year they made the playoffs, it was ALWAYS, this year is different, this time we win the Series, but until it ACTUALLY happened, history was expected to repeat itself, hoping it wouldn't.

Post 2004, those same fans now expect them to win.

Will this be the Bengals 2004? Hope so, and, again, time will tell.

As far as the QBs I mentioned, the 'average' football fan (NOT the forum folk or the face painted die-hard fans that would walk away from their families for NFL football) knows who Kelly and Marino are. Most probably remember Kelly as a 4 time SB loser, and Marino at the top of the list of great QBs, that never won a SB. 

I would also bet that most of those average fans don't remember most of those other QB names, let alone that they won a SB.

And yes, WHO DEY, and hoping this is their 2004!

I figured anyone with gregcook in their forum name would be on the same page!  My cousin was a huge fan until MB took over and he just reconfirmed that he isn't coming back on board until the win a SuperBowl.  I just think that there are a lot of misconceptions about the franchise because the shadow of the 90's.  I think the national media makes money off of villifying certain teams and glorifying others (Chris Berman and the Chargers come to mind). That's really what I hoped to show through Super Bowl records as the ultimate decider of franchise quality.