Will Carson & TJ Be Successful in Oakland?

Sea Ray

IMHO the Bengals biggest problem in regards to their sad and sorry reputation is based in their habit of saying absolutely nothing in response to the deliberately vague complaints made by a few of their players.

This in my opinion is the absolute truth. In this information age, getting your message out there is paramount. Put another way, how can you expect your side to be considered when the only side being publicly aired is the opposition?

I think the Bengals have suffered from an arrogant, 'we're above it all' attitude in regards to criticism. Mike smugly, though correctly, figures who gives a crap what disgruntled players or media hacks think? He knows he's got the ultimate authority and figures he'll just go ahead and do things his way no matter what others think.

But that arrogance has a price. Players, often when their skills begin to fade, feel free to pop off about the organization. If I were Mike Brown I'd shut them up quickly. I doubt many other frachises would put up with Chad's mouth a few years ago.

When all these claims by players and media go unchallenged, it just builds into the generally accepted reputation of the organization.

The Bengals need a slick talking pr director to help protect and build the reputation of the organization. Other businesses spend real money on PR departments to protect and build their brand. /last sentence was high floater right over the middle of the plate./

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per Schefter on the MNF countdown show, Golden Boy wants Douchmanzadeh in the slot and so the Raiders are going to work him out.

I'm curious to see what, if anything, TJ has left. If he can still play, that will be a huge help to Palmer. Just knowing how the guy will run his routes, knowing where he'll be, will help Palmer. On the psychological side, TJ can also be Palmer's little emotional tampon when the Raider fans start booing him, because Carson is just not mentally tough enough to handle that.

Per PFT, Housh is signed in Oakland.

Wow. Looks like we'll be getting that extra number one pick above our slot this upcoming draft. I'll be very suprised if the Raiders finish better than the Bengals.

CP is back to his old ways of manipulating the roster. Can't ask a man to produce with what WR's are already there, huh? CP has to go out and get his old friends to feel comfortable.

Thanks Oakland!

I always liked TJ and am glad he found a roster spot with the Raiders! Don't think he'll make Palmer look better though! Palmer will have the same excuses he had here. He's rusty, needs to improve, needs to do better and so on and so on! Maybe they should sign TO too!!!

I'm glad he got a gig somewhere too. He was a guy that busted his tail and is a competitor. I am especially glad that he is no longer with the Ravens and did not end up with the Steelers or Browns.

In the case of Carson Palmer, I'm not ignoring the truth, which is that this mess was and is on both sides. That was tacitly acknowledged by Marvin Lewis in the quickness with which he backtracked on his "Carson quit" remarks, claimed he was taken out of context and even called Palmer to apologize.

But I thik you are at risk of ignoring the truth. After all, Lewis may have backtracked the moment he realized where his remarks were going to take things in the media, but IMHO a reluctance to talk about all things publically is far different than retracting the things that were said initially. And there's the rub because Lewis may have apologized to Palmer for leaking the news about Palmer quitting during his last season here, but he can't unring that bell. And IMHO he shouldn't bother trying. Palmer did quit. That's part of his legacy.

As to the question of whether the Bengals should be more aggressive in responding to the "deliberately vague" complaints made by some former players, the trouble there is simply that the front office doesn't have much standing to insist those players are wrong after two decades of dismal results.

That's ridiculous. In those same two decades the Bengals have watched a steady parade of malcontented players wage a war of publicity against the team that has almost always been the result of the player in question disagreeing with the value the team has placed on their services. So ask yourself which of those highly critical players have actually gone on to prove they were a better judge of their own value than the Bengals were? Willie Anderson? Levi Jones? TJ Housh? f**king Chad?

Obviously the front office doesn't have to release statements pointing out how stupid each of those players were because in retrospect circumstances did that job as well as the Bengals could have hoped. But Bengal fans like you were supposed to learn from all of that, and then apply what you had learned to the next example being faced. Yet few of you bother doing that, and as you admit many of you won't do so regardless of the truth.

Instead, many of you will argue where's theres smoke there must be fire and happily give Palmer the very same benefit of the doubt that you once gave Chad or TJ....thereby deliberately ignoring the long and growing list of past star Bengal players who were willing to stay forever if their price was met, but if they stayed couldn't be bothered to lead under any circumstance. In short, a steady parade of clock punchers who always played with one eye keeping tabs on their wallets and the other eye focused intently on the exit door.

And there's the rub because Palmer, just like those who came before him, was nothing but a clock puncher, and I believe this team does itself no favors by refusing to talk about the larger obligations players have to the team. Instead, we only talk about the obligations the team has in relation to the player.

As to the question of whether the Bengals should be more aggressive in responding to the "deliberately vague" complaints made by some former players, the trouble there is simply that the front office doesn't have much standing to insist those players are wrong after two decades of dismal results.

That's ridiculous. In those same two decades the Bengals have watched a steady parade of malcontented players wage a war of publicity against the team that has almost always been the result of the player in question disagreeing with the value the team has placed on their services. So ask yourself which of those highly critical players have actually gone on to prove they were a better judge of their own value than the Bengals were? Willie Anderson? Levi Jones? TJ Housh? f**king Chad?

I'd be careful arguing about the FO's ability to judge value. Was "f**king Chad" worth what they paid him in 2009 and 2010? Is Carson Palmer a QB whose recent record justifies the $11.5 million they were completely willing to pay him this season? And TJ's case wasn't about value. In the end, they met Seattle's offer. He just wanted out.

But Bengal fans like you were supposed to learn from all of that, and then apply what you had learned to the next example being faced. Yet few of you bother doing that,

Oh, I've done that. And what I've learned is that there's something fundamentally flawed in the FO's approach to building a team. I can even tell you what that something is.

You get the behavior you tolerate.

You are absolutely right, there has been a two-decades-long parade of of malcontented players. They didn't draft themselves. They didn't re-sign themselves. They didn't sign their own paychecks. They didn't put up with their poor behavior in the locker room, or their dogging it on the field. The FO did that, over and over and over again.

Maybe, just maybe, this year will teach the FO that there's another way. Will they learn that and apply it to the next example? We'll see.

Oh, I've done that. And what I've learned is that there's something fundamentally flawed in the FO's approach to building a team. I can even tell you what that something is.

Yeah, exactly. So don't tolerate poor behavior. Or if you prefer, don't REWARD it. For example, when a player quits on the team during a season tell the world he quit and don't be shy about it. Because if you don't acknowledge it vast hordes of self-loathing Bengal fans will be only too quick to assume that a star player quit as a protest over the poor quality of the free food served in the Bengals lunchroom.

Yeah, exactly. So don't tolerate poor behavior. Or if you prefer, don't REWARD it. For example, when a player quits on the team during a season tell the world he quit and don't be shy about it.

Exactly. But you have to do that while the guy is there. That's part of the problem. When confronted with disgruntled players on the team, the Bengals have always ignored them or made excuses for them, not to mention continued to pay them despite their bad behavior. Only when these guys leave or get traded do they suddenly suck. Not tolerating bad behavior has to start while they are here, not once they are gone.

From TJ's latest interview as a member of the silver and blackened....

Q: How long did it take Carson to get his arm strength back?

A: Only he could tell you how long. It’s jut from my being around him, we work out every summer, and just last summer the zip wasn’t there. It was at certain times but I think he fatigued really quick. But this summer I asked him, I think it was one of the let times we worked out, actually, and he was like, Yeah, it was bothering me. But he’s not going to say anything. The more you guys get to know him, he’s not going to complain. If he throws an interception and it’s my fault, he’s going to say it’s his fault. That’s just how he is. But I noticed it and it’s a big difference. People on TV, they’re like, ‘Oh, he doesn’t have the arm strength.’ They don’t know what they’re talking about.

Q: By last summer you mean 2010, not 2011?

A: In 2010, I didn’t think it was what it was, but this summer I thought, ‘Wow, this is like Carson when we were rolling in Cincinnati.’