Kenny Watson released

TJJackson

One thing you can say for the Bengals: they're never dull. First they axe Castille to promote some scrub Packer LB onto the roster, then they release Kenny to make room for Captain Court Date. I await this Hobson spin on this one with greater than usual anticipation.

One thing you can say for the Bengals: they're never dull. First they axe Castille to promote some scrub Packer LB onto the roster, then they release Kenny to make room for Captain Court Date. I await this Hobson spin on this one with greater than usual anticipation.

Hobson says with Watson anticipated to be better in time to play the Jets, he may make a quick comeback. However, as Hobson pointed out, we have seven WR's on the roster. We couldn't deactivate ONE of them instead?

Anything is possible but I find Hobson's speculation thin. If they bring Watson back, they'll just have to cut someone else...so why not just make that cut in the first place? Because Kenny couldn't play this weekend and the guy to be cut could? I suppose, but does anyone believe that having, say, Dan Coats on the team tomorrow is going to make a big difference?

Clarification on a technical point please (yeah I know i'm stoopid but i'm this side of the pond)

If you get cut what happens to your contract? does it transpire to the practice squad or is there a reduction in $$? what if you are then moved from PS to full squad - is your contract re-negotiated??

Sorry for being thick but could this cut have gone around the houses due to the fact that Kenny has dropped in the pecking order and they (bengals) wanted to re-align his salary to reflect that ??????

Clarification on a technical point please (yeah I know i'm stoopid but i'm this side of the pond)

If you get cut what happens to your contract? does it transpire to the practice squad or is there a reduction in $$? what if you are then moved from PS to full squad - is your contract re-negotiated??

Sorry for being thick but could this cut have gone around the houses due to the fact that Kenny has dropped in the pecking order and they (bengals) wanted to re-align his salary to reflect that ??????

Why would they do that with $10+ million under the cap this year? He ran well last year and while he was hurt recently, I assume he was cleared as they couldn't cut him otherwise.

Their insistence on not giving Watson carries this year and playing Chris Perry REEKS of Mike Brown. And if that is what's happening then Marvin's just as bad for being a complete pushover.

Sadly, I think that makes more sense than any other explanation I've heard. Kenny just got an extension in March of '07 that ran through next season. Now they can just ink him to a 1 or 2-year minimum deal and Mikey saves a few more bucks. Sigh...

Their insistence on not giving Watson carries this year and playing Chris Perry REEKS of Mike Brown. And if that is what's happening then Marvin's just as bad for being a complete pushover.

Sadly it is still MBs team and Marvin, like you or I if in the same position, has to follow orders. I believe Mike is three-for-three so far. Henry's return, Rudi's departure and now Watson's departure.

Prior to all of this I still couldn't figure out why Watson was so limited. Why expect Perry to carry the entire load when he hasn't been healthy since 05? Even Rudi was spelled for a series or two by Watson, Perry and Dorsey over the last few years.

I don't get it.

(Somewhere in the back of my mind, I believe that all of this cap clearing is laying the groundwork for getting rid of Chad after the season and making room for the cap hit for the remainder of his bonus).

How about cutting Dexter Jackson...he will still be out for weeks and we have legit depth at Safety.

How about cutting Thronton? still being abused everygame.

How about cutting Lawrie form the PS and sending Jordan Palmer down? 3 QB's....a waste.

How about cutting Dexter Jackson...he will still be out for weeks and we have legit depth at Safety.

How about cutting Thronton? still being abused everygame.

How about cutting Lawrie form the PS and sending Jordan Palmer down? 3 QB's....a waste.

Gay-chick? Lead-foot Levi Jones? One of our four TEs? One of the three rookie WRs that never play?

Heck the only truly indespensable guy we have on the roster right now is 'One-two-three-punt' Larson.

While I will concede that I think it is absolutely the wrong time to cut Watson given our situation at the position, Watson never has and never will be anything more than depth. I'm NOT sad to see him go, but am sad to see our organization not looking at the fact there were FAR GREATER areas to choose from when thinking of who to cut.

While I will concede that I think it is absolutely the wrong time to cut Watson given our situation at the position, Watson never has and never will be anything more than depth. I'm NOT sad to see him go, but am sad to see our organization not looking at the fact there were FAR GREATER areas to choose from when thinking of who to cut.

You have me worried Army, because I can't help but notice while reading your post that, you seem to think that a person with Co-herent thought, common sense, and an overall purpose in life to improve humanities stake to this planet is RUNNING THIS FRANCHISE!!!

You my friend, have drank too much of the kool-aid. it's time for the armed guards to show you what prize you've won. Don't worry, the loud bangs will be the party favors going off. :angry::angry:

This is one of the rare times I'll disagree with you. If you look at Watson's numbers over the past few seasons, he's had the highest YPC of any back on the team, including Rudi over the past two seasons. Dorsey's YPC may have been higher last season (didn't look it up) but on significantly fewer carries.

Anyway, I realize Watson's not an LT or Steven Jackson or Larry Johnson, but Perry hasn't been so wonderfully outstanding this season that anyone should feel comfortable getting rid of Watson and relying on Perry/Benson.

That's true, Greg, but at the same time we haven't seen Watson at all this year. We don't know that he'd do any better behind this line than the other backs anyhow. That being said, I still disagree with the move. They should've cut Girlchick or Thornton. Or Jackson.

Seriously, it's almost like Mike Brown is antagonizing Marvin, trying to make him quit or something. Kenny Watson is one of the few guys on this team who, when called upon, actually produces.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone pick him up before we can resign him. If I were running an NFL team that needed depth at running back I'd sure grab him.

Seriously, it's almost like Mike Brown is antagonizing Marvin, trying to make him quit or something. Kenny Watson is one of the few guys on this team who, when called upon, actually produces.

I wouldn't be surprised to see someone pick him up before we can resign him. If I were running an NFL team that needed depth at running back I'd sure grab him.

How many carries has Watson had this season - how many of those were called by Mike Brown and how many by Marvin and how many by Brat???? MB doesn't need to antagonise Marvin - he could just sack him if he wanted to. This conspiracy theory is running thin now.

How many carries has Watson had this season - how many of those were called by Mike Brown and how many by Marvin

Although I don't have any evidence to prove it, I believe Mike Brown dictated to Marvin that Chris Perry would start if healthy and get the bulk of the carries.

So in effect, Mike Brown called all those carries for Perry, and saw to it that none of those carries went to Watson. You know what's wearing thin? Getting the crap kicked out of us year after year with the one constant being Mike Brown. Marvin has made it very clear that he doesn't like having thugs and unreliable players on his team. So it's not a conspiracy theory to believe that Brown is pissing him off by shoving Cheech and Ced Benson down his throat. It's reality.

During the season last year Marvin was asked if Chad would be punished for all his bulls**t, and Marvin's answer was, "Well, he's the owner's favorite player, so of course he'll continue to get lots of playing time." Does he need to state it any more clearly than that? The owner completely undermines this coach's authority, and has done it to every other coach here.

Douchebags like Chad can just bypass Marvin and go right to Mike Brown. We're not the Bengals, we're the Raiders East.

Watson will not be signed by anyone else while he's nursing a hamstring guys so he can be picked up in a few weeks if need be, I see no problem with this move, is it a gamble sure, will the 2 RBs left get injured in the same game probably not. He wouldve been inactive anyway, go ahead see if Henry still has it before you go cutting other players.

MB doesn't need to antagonise Marvin - he could just sack him if he wanted to. This conspiracy theory is running thin now.

If Marvin quits, he DOES NOT get the pay for the remainder of his contract

If Son-Of-a-Genius fires him, he DOES get the pay for the remainder of his contract

Does this help any?