Burrow Done for the Year

ArmyBengal

Just to be clear, there will be no joy taken in anything other than making the playoffs and making a Super Bowl run.
Since that's not happening at this point, the next thing I will take joy in is a top 10 pick in the 2024 draft.
I won't care if they lose every game from here on out without Burrow.  They sure as shit aren't winning every game from here on out.

Like I said in an earlier post.  I'm not even upset at this point.  I'm just looking forward.
This team has a lot to consider heading into next season.

I feel bad for the team, especially guys like Tee and Boyd, who may not play another snap with Joe.

It's going to be a different team moving forward. We'll see if they have the front office structure, coaching, and talent necessary to keep Joe Burrow where he belongs long-term: deep in the postseason. He can be Peyton Manning if they are good enough to give him the tools.

Dudes, anyone watching last night and seeing Joe try to throw the football on the sideline after the injury had to know.
That ball just decided to do it's own thing, falling out of his hand, and Joe was yelling at anything standing in front of him.
I went to bed, knowing the game was over and hoping it was just a sprain.
I seriously woke up and told my wife that it wouldn't surprise me to see him done for the season.

"HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND"

• Like 1

Surgery.  The only variable left in regards to next year is what the specific ailment will be that robs Burrow of the whole preseason and hampers his first few week.  In order of probability:

1. Bad hamstring pull

2. Diverticulitis 

3. Broken ankle

4. Worst case of pinkeye anyone has ever seen

5. Torn external oblique muscle, made worse by team doctor misdiagnosing it as a torn internal oblique

6. Pneumonia, made worse by team doctor misdiagnosing it as a tooth ache

• Haha 1

That’s my question what will this front office do. We have seen the o-line get somewhat better over the years, but they keep putting money into it and somehow we always seem to talk about there performance and not always in a good way. So I don’t know if it’s coaching or what but they need to figure that out. What about Higgins, Burrow seemed to struggle without him in the lineup so not sure if they will tag him or sign him or what. 

Still trying to figure out this defense so far I have not been impressed. Somehow teams like the Ravens and Kansas City can pay big money for there QB and still build a really good defense and team around them. However these teams are also aggressive at getting players they need in FA and by trading during the season, which is something this franchise does not do. They always think they are better then what they really are.

Was really looking forward to this season and excited about the players really thought they had a chance, and then the calf and now this, what a disappointment. Not to mention I’m really starting to think the NFL is going downhill with some really shitty officiating just had not been really enjoyable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, COB said:

Being a bengals fan is not for the faint of heart.  

Bengals contingency plan is to run a player who has never started out on the field to lead this team to the playoffs if Burrow goes down.  That to me is horrible they have great talent if they had a capable QB maybe they could have made some noise, but not with this QB situation. Then again I don’t think this defense would have been much help. Sucks seeing teams win with there defense and they have no QB, and now the Bengals season is over because of an injury.

I was thinking with Burrow being down for the year and Higgins said to not be part of future plans, if they wish they would have moved him before the trade deadline.
Well, with hindsight being 20/20, I would guess that's not really important, but still.

However, here's something that jumped in my head...  I and others have said many times, "Higgins is a #1 on most teams".
Now that this season is over, I'm left to ponder if that's really the case.  Is he a #1 WR for another team?
I know it only takes one team to pay him that way and they probably will, but I can't help but wonder if his best outcome is here as a true #2?
Yeah, we aren't paying him what Chase is going to get, but how many times do you see a player move on and fail to achieve success?
I just wish there was a midpoint where he would stick around.  I have always liked Tee and wanted to see him get a ring with this group.

This season certainly hasn’t done Tee any favors. And it looks like another bumper crop of WRs in the draft next year, too. He will still have a market and is still going to get paid, but maybe the Bengals can still be a player. Sportrac puts his market value at 4 years, $63.7 million, or just under $16 million a year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tee-higgins-47628/market-value/

That’s doable imo.

I think that's something they could work if they wanted to.

Agreed though in there being a nice group of WR's in the draft should they want to go in that direction.
I would rather they find a way to keep Tee and then draft a TE early for the offense.
Obviously there is a lot to figure out between now and the draft.

Hindsight being what it is, Tee should have been shopped.  

Unfortunately based on what I saw last night, the Chiefs would probably have wanted him.  No.  

Shopped maybe to NFC teams only?  

We referred to Myles as a luxury pick.  Tee Higgins could be called a luxury signing.  

As always, the market will have its way.  Having Tee around for several more seasons is almost asking too much.  

Some people used to say Boyd was a #1 . I think Tee is physical but can’t get the separation like an AJ Green did.  Tee is a weapon as is Boyd, I don’t believe either have proved they are #1s .  Marvin Jones was a guy who really was a good 2 or great 3 … the Lions paid him to be 1 .  Money doesn’t make the best WR on the team, talent does though.

i think in his prime TJ houshmanzadeh could have been a #1.  I’m sure there are arguments against that.  Carl Pickens was a #1 on any team.  If you want to see the top of the mountain for wide receivers, go compare Randy Moss’s career numbers to AJ Green or Chad Johnson.