Week 11: Bengals @ Ravens Game Thread

HoosierCat

Agree with not counting a team out.  Not only could we go on a hot streak like last season, but other teams suffer injuries as well, or drop games they shouldn't.

It's certainly too early to say, but a loss tonight puts them 3 game behind first place Ravens who would hold a 2-0 advantage over them.
When trying to project if all things remain the same, that would tell me a wild card spot is our only real hope, minus something crazy happening.

A win tonight and everything is still on the table.  Couple that with the Steelers and Browns playing each other and this week is VERY important !!

I don't know why, but I just feel an upsetting loss coming.  I really want to be wrong.

Ravens are up and down just as much as the Bengals and have had injuries just the same.   Sure them winning puts them in the driver seat, but I would not crown them.   Anyway the Bengals probably win tonight and I wouldn't crown them either.

The NFL is smart with TV.   There will be playoff scenarios out the ying yang the last 3 weeks involving probably the majority of the AFC.   I would think any team hovering around .500 this late with Burrow at QB would be involved in quite a few of them.   Probably a few division scenarios as well.

Any talk of "must win" is just another uninformed useless hot take preying on emotions. 

Ravens win tonight and you can forget about the division. Even if Baltimore went a middling 3-3 over their final six games, the Bengals would have to win out to take the crown and they've given no reason to believe they can do that this year.

A loss also puts them at 0-3 in the division and 1-5 in the conference. The only tiebreaker they are winning at this point is the head to head against Buffalo (and they are hosed in any tiebreaker with Houston now).

They're up the proverbial shit creek without a paddle unless they get their act together tonight.

Burrow/Chase.   I'm not sure why anyone would completely count them out.   That's why the whole NFL ranked them top 5.  That's why the whole NFL would have dumped a ton of money in their lap.

The fun part is Baltimore can say the same thing about some of their players.    I think the Bengals come out on top in a tight game. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Ravens win tonight and you can forget about the division. Even if Baltimore went a middling 3-3 over their final six games, the Bengals would have to win out to take the crown and they've given no reason to believe they can do that this year.

A loss also puts them at 0-3 in the division and 1-5 in the conference. The only tiebreaker they are winning at this point is the head to head against Buffalo (and they are hosed in any tiebreaker with Houston now).

They're up the proverbial shit creek without a paddle unless they get their act together tonight.

There is no shit creek in the NFL sitting at 5-5 with a franchise QB.   This was true in the 80s.   Its certainly true with an extra game and extra playoff spot.

CBS:

Bengals: WR Tee Higgins (hamstring), DE Sam Hubbard (ankle), WR Andrei Iosivas (knee) OUT; WR Charlie Jones (thumb) QUESTIONABLE

Ravens: LB Trenton Simpson (concussion), T Ronnie Stanley (knee) OUT; CB Marlon Humphrey (calf) DOUBTFUL; WR Devin Duvernay (hamstring), G John Simpson (illness/shoulder), OLB Kyle Van Noy (groin), S Daryl Worley (hamstring) QUESTIONABLE

The Bengals' biggest offensive blow is that they will be without wide receiver Tee Higgins, who did not practice all week. Expect more Tyler Boyd and Trenton Irwin to make up for Higgins' absence. No Hubbard for Cincinnati is also a huge loss, so Cam Sample is expected to start.

The oft-injured Stanley will miss another game for Baltimore, so Patrick Mekari is expected to start at left tackle. Humphrey missed practice all week, so it's unlikely he plays. Duvernay's injury was a late addition Tuesday and he did not practice Wednesday. 

Also a question about Burrow's throwing hand. Recall he hurt a finger Sunday.

Ahead of Thursday night's road game against the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow was spotted wearing what appeared to be a brace on his throwing hand.

According to Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio, the Bengals posted video of the team arriving in Baltimore on Wednesday before deleting it. WCPO's Caleb Noe later posted a slowed-down version of the video focused on the brace or sleeve on Burrow's right hand:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10097583-video-leaks-of-joe-burrow-appearing-to-wear-hand-brace-after-bengals-delete-post

I know we have talked about this before, but it's really starting to irritate me how we draft first round guys and when opportunity presents, there seems to be little involvement.  Maybe it's just me thinking that damn near every 1st round guy should be starting in year one.  I get that Murphy hasn't been here as long as Sample and I like Sample, but damn.  It's also not like we are only 3 weeks into the season either.  It's more puzzling when considering that many had Murphy ranked far higher that his draft status suggests. My mind tells me (Side note, my mind is a scary place) Murphy should be getting these starts at this point in the season if one of the starters goes down.

With more high dollar contracts to come, the Bengals won't have the luxury of first rounders sitting back and not getting snaps.
They are going to need impact sooner rather than later.

26 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I know we have talked about this before, but it's really starting to irritate me how we draft first round guys and when opportunity presents, there seems to be little involvement.  Maybe it's just me thinking that damn near every 1st round guy should be starting in year one.  I get that Murphy hasn't been here as long as Sample and I like Sample, but damn.  It's also not like we are only 3 weeks into the season either.  It's more puzzling when considering that many had Murphy ranked far higher that his draft status suggests. My mind tells me (Side note, my mind is a scary place) Murphy should be getting these starts at this point in the season if one of the starters goes down.

With more high dollar contracts to come, the Bengals won't have the luxury of first rounders sitting back and not getting snaps.
They are going to need impact sooner rather than later.

Murphy was a textbook luxury pick. They irritate me for the same reasons. It will irritate me less if he blossoms into an above average DE. If he's the next Ogbuehi however...

I know what you mean.  The loss of Perine, Bates, Hurst, and Bell was huge, and we need to hit on some of these draft picks to deal with it.  Having said that, late first rounders are far from guaranteed starters anywhere.  But we need guys on their first contracts to step up and contribute.  We aren’t getting much out of that running back from Illinois.  I’d love to see him get healthy and become a contributor because I think he could be really good.  Maybe not Perine level but not many are.  

I actually have faith in Murphy.  He’ll develop into a starter, based on what he’s doing so far.  Essentially, I like the fact that he’s not straight up falling on his face out there.  In a dream world he walks in here and is Hubbard level, but reality usually is it takes D Ends time to develop.  It seems like running backs and corners can show up year one and play well.  

It was widely thought that Murphy was a top end talent.
A month before the draft, many still had him in their top 10.

Murphy was the 4th DE taken and the other 3 went in the top 15.
He fell not because he sucked or that teams didn't like him, but rather the needs of the teams drafting ahead of the Bengals.

I get it takes DE's some time and Murphy was definitely a luxury pick when considering our roster, but this is an opportunity with Hubbard down again.
I just want to see more of him.

Really interesting game. Will likely be the turning point in the season. I can't see the Bengals winning the division if they lose tonight. If they win tonight, I think they win the next 5 in a row to go into KC at 11-4 and win the AFCN.

Burrow and Chase have to go off tonight for them to win. Mixon needs to be getting key yards. The defense can't be a sieve tonight like last week. 

I think they win. 24-20.

• Like 1

Pretty much right there with you, Hokie. If the defense even so much as returns to average and doesn't allow some Baltimore-300-yards-rushing nonsense, the game is right there. Can't have the offensive line ruining Burrow's ability to control the game too. I think that's pretty much the game, and by extension pretty much the division.

From the .com

The Bengals today returned WR Charlie Jones to the active roster from the Reserve/Injured list. In addition, the team elevated WR Shedrick Jackson from the practice squad to the active roster for tonight's game at Baltimore.

Jones had been on the Reserve/Injured list since Sept. 29 with a thumb injury. He was designated for return from the Reserve/Injured list and cleared to practice on Nov. 8.

Jackson is classified as a standard elevation. As a practice squad player being elevated to the active roster for the game, he automatically will revert to the practice squad on Friday.

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 11: Bengals @ Ravens Game Thread