Week 8: Bengals @ 49ers Game Thread

HoosierCat

What a huge win.  Burrow’s incredible accuracy really contrasted with Purdy’s less than stellar day.  

Logan Wilson’s interception was sure timely, and the highlight of that play was Brandon Aiyuk’s absolute refusal to tackle Wilson even though he ran him down from behind.  Once he got there he got his hands on Wilson’s shoulder pads and just decided to say fuck this I’m not breaking my leg trying to tackle this Sherman Tank.

Pratt again demonstrates a remarkable nose for the ball.  Dude is so underrated in this league, and signing him back was a huge surprise and a huge get for our front office.  

Romo sounds like he’s Lou Anarumo’s agent the way he beats the drum for him to get a HC job.  Please STOP. 

Hard to pick a player of the game, so many guys played well.  But unsung hero Joe Mixon has found another gear this season.  Hats off to  him, dude can dish it out.

• Like 1

Defense as a whole has started to remind me of the 2005 defense. As you might remember they were a middling D overall but had a nose for the ball. “Opportunistic” was the popular description. Finished first in the league in picks that year with 31. This year they were No. 2 with eight before adding two more last night.

After the sack fumble it was awesome to see the coaches surround Lou and there was probably a few "F bombs",  I'm guessing directed at the Ref for the previous roughing the passer.

By the way;  Has the league exempted Burrow from the roughing passer call?  It looked like he took at least 1 head shot late and couple more hits were late in the pocket.

Roughing calls have gotten so random I've pretty much quit complaining about them. Burrow took some shots, I don't recall anything egregious but I'm sure my opinion could be changed. The roughing call at the end was made I think because Purdy's head bounced off the turf pretty noticeably; the takedown itself was pretty unremarkable imo.

Really tho I can't complain about the refs yesterday.

In a very happy place this morning.

For the various parts of the game I could voice my irritation about, despite the miscues, they had their most complete game of the season.  Seeing Burrow absolutely dismantle the 49er's defense was a reminder of just how good he is when 100% and how much the AFC should not overlook a clicking Bengals team.  How many years have we watched a well rested team come out of the bye and completely shit the bed?  Not yesterday.  I know they have rattled off three in a row, but this game had a different feel to it.  Continue that into this coming Sunday against the Bills and they win that game as well.  At that point, everyone in the media will be right back on their dick.

Yeah, it's been a while since I was as little stressed watching a game as I was yesterday. After that insane scramble-completion on the first drive, you knew it was going to be a good, if nutty, day.

My biggest concerns coming out of it are:

1. Hendrickson's foot/ankle. I know he came back in and was making plays, so it doesn't seem like it was serious, but all the same I will be happy to see him spend this week resting it.

2. Purdy problems. Despite Trent Williams being out they struggled to either get pressure on, or contain, Purdy. Occasionally he just made them look silly (the Hilton free rusher wiff being a standout wtf play). I'm honestly less concerned about the pressure part, it happens, but any scheme that left the kind of open field running opportunities Purdy had I have to question.

(And yes I could mention TE but that horse is dead and beaten to dust...)

There's some talk on Cincyjungle of bringing back Carl Lawson, since he is being shopped by the jets

Arguments for

1. Anarumo is overusing his vet DEs, not letting the promising new players like Murphy and Ossai play much.  Perhaps he'd give Henderickson more breathers if Lawson is available, so he doesnt get worn down so much

2. Lawson's cap impact for 2023 would be only around a half million dollars

3. Cincinnati could offer a conditional pick based on playtime and/or production here, and it'd be fairly low either way

Arguments against

1. He's been injury prone

2. He hasnt been very productive recently.  Could Lou get him back up to speed?

3. Team chemistry is VERY important right now.  does he fit this locker room?

I personally dont see a problem offering a conditional 7th next year or 2025 just to take the wear and tear off Hendrickson.

However, if I am GM of this team, I am spending most of my time on the phone trying to get us a serviceable TE.  Getting Hurst back from the 1-6 Panthers would be superb

I'd be pretty ambivalent about bringing Lawson back. More pass rush help is never "bad", though I think the Bengals ought to have bigger priorities if they are active at the trade deadline. I'd agree that tight end tops the list, whether its Hurst or whoever. I'd also think about a strong safety (or whatever term is more appropriate now, since the strong/free designations are kind of obsolete), which in my view is an underrated flaw of the current roster. Scott is very bad, and Battle has rookie moments.

Yea they need other DL to step up to give these guys a break to keep them fresh going down the road here. More snaps for Murphy maybe he did I didn’t notice but really didn’t study him out there, can’t imagine just a good week of practice and he is ready to breakout. 

If they are doing a 7th I would love that TE from the Pats they are shopping 

I would prefer giving Murphy more snaps. He did score one solo tackle yesterday, which sounds lame but he only had 9 snaps, so it isn't like he had much of a chance to get going. Bringing back Lawson would only make the choice of Murphy in the first more of a question mark. If they thought he was worth a first round pick and they have an opportunity to play him, they should do it!

I hear that, TE help wanted!  

One other agonizing reality:  Joe Buck and Troy Aikman mentioned how much the Lions miss their center Frank Ragnow.  He’s injured but he’s an excellent player, been to a couple pro bowls, has been all pro, he’s just a high level lineman.  We wanted him in the 2018 draft, we picked 20th.  The Lions took him with the 19th pick, unfortunately.  We picked up Billy Price with the next pick.  Don’t think about it too long or you’ll start throwing stuff around your house.