Week 2: Ravens @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

As stripes noted in the Brawns gameday thread, JK Dobbins is gone fore the year with an Achilles tear.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38370396/ravens-safety-marcus-williams-shoulder-injury

Some other guys could also miss time, depending on test results.

In addition to Dobbins, Baltimore had three other starters leave the game and not return: safety Marcus Williams (shoulder), left tackle Ronnie Stanley (knee) and center Tyler Linderbaum (calf).

Harbaugh said their statuses will be evaluated after they undergo MRIs. A source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler that the Ravens are looking to determine whether Williams, who has full range of motion and limited pain but a lot of swelling, suffered a torn pec.

I really don't think the loss of Dobbins impacts the Ravens at all.  Dude missed more than half the season last year and they were still in it.
Staley and Williams are a bigger concern for the Ravens as I don't think much of their depth in those areas.
That being said, if the Bengals don't overhaul the shit show that took place yesterday, it won't matter.
This game looks like a loss pretty much however I look at it.

Maybe not wanting to get embarrassed in their home opener provides some motivation.
They didn't seem to care about going 0-1, so 0-2 probably won't move the needle much.

"Well, we did that last year, so who cares?"

• Like 1

While we wait for next Sunday, I'd like to make a public service announcement: charge your phone before you leave home, or you might end up arrested like Pacman.

Former Cincinnati Bengals defensive back Adam "Pacman" Jones was arrested early Monday morning at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport after police responded to a report of an "unruly passenger."

According to a CVG spokesperson, airport police were called around 6 a.m. to help a flight crew on an outbound flight about an unruly passenger. The spokesperson said the passenger was arrested before takeoff and taken to Boone County Detention Center.

Jones was released from jail hours later. According to Boone County Jail, he was charged with alcohol intoxication, disorderly conduct and making a terroristic threat but court documents only show one charge for terroristic threatening.

Jones told WLWT the incident on the plane started over a charger not working. He denies being intoxicated. Jones said he was on his way to to Newark, New Jersey for the Monday Night football game.

Ravens injuries RB Dobbins (Achilles, out for yr) TE Andrews (Quad, chance for Sun.) C Linderbaum (ankle, Wk-to-Wk; likely not Sun) LT Stanley (knee, Wk-to-Wk; likely not Sun) OLB Bowser (knee, IR until Wk 5) CB Humphrey (foot, chance for Sun) S Williams (torn pec, out awhile)

Sounds like the Raven injuries to their OL are week to week.   DB injury will be longer.   Dobbins - out.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

That's a load of starters injured and probably not playing Sunday for the Ravens.
Their loss on that front hopefully contributes to a W in the win column for us.
No one cares when they beat an injured Bengals team, so there's no F*cks given in return.
BEAT THE RAVENS

Well stated.   It just so happens this is the first time Lamar Jackson returns to Cincinnati since they ran up the score against a mod squad the last game of 2020.   So hopefully the Bengals come out hot and don't let up.

Is it too much to ask to have the cast of offensive participants that have or are going to demand top market deals soon to put up 28 or more vs. the Ravens?  Just wondering.

Really dreading what I suspect the post game conversation of "What's wrong with the offense?".   Getting into how to beat Cover 2, blah, blah,blah

Right or wrong if the conversation post game is a bout Left Guard or play calling the issue probably lies in the lap of the Offensive skill spots or tackles.

The Jane's and Joe's always matter more than the X's and O's.

I have no real feel for how well the team has done going through practice this week or what has or hasn't been worked on.

My only real hope at this time is that the injuries suffered by the Ravens to key positions help the Bengals get their shit together and win.
That and whatever the effect of home field advantage is on the team, which I don't downplay.

So if the injuries don't hurt the Ravens and the team doesn't respond to the sold out house, the Bengals lose again.
Hell, they might lose again even if the injuries hurt the Ravens and the sold out house is a factor.

They really played like shit last week and I'm not sure they can fix all that stupid in one week.

Its hard not to be at least a little pessimistic after the absolute crap we saw on offense last week

so I get that

I think this will be a close but ugly win, and I'll take that over a very fugly loss, especially if there are no injuries to starters

on a separate note: the national media seems to be pushing the notion that Tee isnt part of the Bengals plans going forward.  I want to just laugh at them, but it pisses me off that Tee is maybe reading this crap and getting in his head.   Yeah, he needs to play better that last week (same as pretty much the entire offense) but he is most definitely a Bengal going forward

Burrow will be better. I mean, he can't be worse. Question is, how long does it take for him to get back to being himself. Sunday? The next week? October? Longer?

Sooooo tired of the "WR can't get open" stuff. What do Taylor and Callahan do all week, play World of Warships? Scheme some guys open if they can't do it themselves.

Oline is what it is. Hopefully they can tighten up.

Mixon was actually running through arm/ankle tackles against Cleveland. That was refreshing to see. How about using him more?

Sample > Smith. Just sayin'.

Re the D, are they really as good as the showed in the first half...or was Watson that bad? I fear it was the latter but we'll see.

Bengals 72, Ravens 0

• Thanks 1

They should have NEVER went away from Mixon and the other RB's in that game.
You have a QB that got ZERO snaps in a preseason game, playing with some new players on his side of the ball.
On top of that, they were playing on the road and it was fucking raining.  How was running the ball a fuckload NOT the plan?

I have no idea what to think of Irv Smith.  I mean he hasn't had any time to build chemistry with Burrow, so I will reserve judgement for now.
He was targeted 5 times and caught 3.  None of those were particularly inspirational, but then again, who was inspirational last week?

I'm inclined to believe that relationship on the field will improve as well.
Hurst had 52 catches for 414 yards and 2 TD's.  More than enough time to eclipse that production.

• Thanks 1

I think alot of it goes back to reps and prepared, IMO.    I'm sure we've all seen the clip of Myles playing basketball rushing over the Center.  Have no clue if Burrow could have checked into something different but if you are banking on Karras being good enough to protect both gaps against Garrett not knowing which one he'll choose.  Good fucking luck.  

Check into a run play up the middle or hot route.   That was a twist on Zimmer's Double A gap blitz, except Cleveland threatened both gaps with 1 player.    The counter to that was always checking into something that it didn't matter which gap or gaps were blitzed into or backed out. 

Based on some all-22s.  The Cleveland coverage techs were attempting to screw with Burrow's/WR comfort zone in throwing back shoulder throws.   They would basically give a look that says throw "back shoulder" or "go" then change in the middle of the route.    That's a risky scenario but it paid off. 

I think I’ve decided that the slow starts are largely a scheme issue. Certainly the appendectomy and calf are in play too, but I think this staff needs a baseline before they get cooking. Unfortunately that baseline is often a stinker or two. They are extremely adaptive, and that’s to be commended. But that requires tangible regular season film.

Injury notes from hobs: 

Bengals middle linebacker Logan Wilson (ankle) moved from limited to full Thursday and edge-tackle Cam Sample (ankle) went from out to limited. It looks like fifth-rounder Chase Brown may make his debut Sunday because running back Chris Evans (hamstring) didn't work …

Besides Stanley, center Tyler Linderbaum (ankle) also didn't work Wednesday and Thursday and he's looking at being out as well in a big break for Cincy 

• HoosierCat changed the title to Week 2: Ravens @ Bengals Game Thread