Round 5 (163): Chase Brown, RB, Illinois

HoosierCat

Hmm, yeah, looks small on tape but is built like a truck.  I really don't know if he's a Perine or Mixon replacement, or how they will use him (they did almost nothing with Evans).

I suppose it's possible they cut Mixon after 6/1 and feel comfortable enough with Williams and Brown moving forward, along with whomever else they pick-up/sign.  I'd be happy with that, I'm honestly tired of watching Mixon if nothing else, just tired of him like I was with Dalton.  

So we knew we needed a RB, and I am glad they waited til late

I love the speed I see in the film provided earlier in this thread.   4.43 in a 210 lb back is outstanding

He seems in the film to make very good use of blocking ahead of him

The fact that he is a plus receiver is huge

what I didnt see and really want is the pass protection.  everyone said all the right things like he's willing and will work at it and etc.....but bottom line this is a weakness, along with ball security

Good value for round 5 but he really really really needs to work on those 2 weak areas

C plus-ish pick.  Maybe a B minus

Oh, also.....on the RAS score, which is quite good.......I've seen several of these now where the agility data isnt listed, and thats the case with this one as well.  I dont know any reason why this guy wouldnt have done agility drills.  Puzzling.

you do understand that pretty much NO rb coming out of college is a known as to pass blocking, right? Read through this thread and see Callahan's quotes on that.  And Brown's quotes. 

and yet there are some that pass block

this guy apparently wasnt one of them

You do understand, given your long-expressed love with New Guy, that I just want him protected, right?

I think he'll work on it.  thats all I can ask.  He had 25 reps on the bench so he has the muscle part good to go

2 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

and yet there are some that pass block

this guy apparently wasnt one of them

You do understand, given your long-expressed love with New Guy, that I just want him protected, right?

I think he'll work on it.  thats all I can ask.  He had 25 reps on the bench so he has the muscle part good to go

not really. Callahan said hard as fuck to find any college running back worth drafting asked to do much of that and little is on film. READ. 

You’re a rookie running back.  Your new job, should you choose to accept it, stop nfl linebackers and safeties when they stunt or just blitz with numbers.  They’re huge, probably geared up, and they have several steps of momentum.  Drop anchor and take them on.  It is a daunting task and not everyone is up to it.  That’s why these coaches use the word “willing.”  I hope this kid is just that special kind of person who likes contact.

• Like 1

Hobs' notes on the Brown pick:

FIFTH ROUND: Illinois RB Chase Brown: The character is impeccable. Soon everyone is going to know the story of how Chase and his identical twin brother Sydney overcame homelessness growing up in London, Ontario, with a relentless and cheerful work ethic along with a tight family unit consisting of their younger sister, mother, and grandmother. Sydney, a versatile safety who went in the third round to the Eagles, got drafted first Friday. Then it was Chase the next day in a hail of tears.

"You're not going to find a safer bet in terms of work ethic, leadership intelligence. The life this kid has lived is made up of all the right stuff," Sarkisian says.

And when it comes to football, there's a lot to like, too. You know those break-away home runs they've been seeking? They think this guy can deliver some of that. Yes, Sarkisian says, there are things he needs to clean up, but he was an outrageously productive runner who had two 1,000-yard seasons and is coming off a 328-carry year he racked up more than 1,600 yards on five yards per carry.

But there are also his workout numbers. He had the best vertical leap (40 inches) and broad jump (10-7) of the backs at the combine, as well as the fourth best 40-yard dash at 4.43 seconds.

"He's a very good No. 2 rookie with starting upside. He can be a potential starter," Sarkisian says. "Explosive. He's very urgent. He runs aggressively. He runs around you, runs aways from you and he can run over you."

Sarkisian says Brown also has a great understanding of the big picture. So he knows that Joe Mixon is the lead guy because he's been watching him for years do it for the Bengals.

"He's versatile. His jump cut, his ability to get in and out of breaks. He's an overall great running back. His ability to stretch on outside zones and in the zone game is a lot of fun to watch," Brown said of Mixon after the call came.

Talk about being self-aware, he also talked about how he needs to work on his pass-protection and ball security.

"It's definitely something that I need to work on. Coming in, it's going to be something I'm extremely focused on. I'm blessed to have this opportunity to come in and get better," Brown said of pass-pro. "Obviously, I've got to keep the ball close to my body, close to my chest. Definitely see improvement in that area."

• 2 weeks later...