Week 7: Falcons @ Bengals

HoosierCat

what's weird is slamming the bengals for investing no better than 3rd round picks at LB when that is exactly what they should be doing and have, in fact, hit fucking homeruns with Wilson, Pratt, ADG and Bailey with that strategy - and have depth because of it to cover loss of Wilson in-house. 

Jesus guys. No one is slamming anyone here. (See what I did there TJ)

Not trying to keep this going. You guys like the LB’s we have and I don’t like them as much as you. It happens.

To TJ, if ADG isn’t in the class of Wilson, and I agree he isn’t, that only reaffirms what I said. We actually agree on that.

Again, I hope they cover the absence of Wilson well and will applaud the whole time.

• Thanks 1

Scheme, injuries, suitable fill ins, all that stuff matters a ton, yes.

And if the Bengals can start playing hard football at the beginning of the game instead of the 8 minute mark of the second quarter, we’ll start blowing teams out.  

This is a prime week to do it.  Jump on this running team in the first quarter, put a couple tds up and make them throw. 

They come out with no urgency.  They let a 10 or 20 point deficit supply the urgency. 

My solution - hire Zimmer in the newly created position of yelling coach.  Once Zac has installed the offense and told Burrow how great he is about fifty times, Zimmer takes over for the last 45 minutes before the game starts.  He screams insults at them, kicks trash cans in the locker rooms, sprays saliva all over the place, and just generally yells “fuck” a lot.  

It would actually work for this team.  We’re a new age, feel good about ourselves team.  Just need to realize they’re playing a violent blood sport.  Watching any Julia Roberts movie will often send normal American men into a homicidal rage.  So if Zimmer isn’t workable, Julia Roberts’ offensively bad, shallow, degrading acting will have to do it.

• Haha 1

Happy to hear Bachie has been cleared for the depth he provides.

Let me ask a legit question about the linebackers that may help my thoughts a bit.
Understanding they do not play a traditional 4-3 and many times they may only have 2 linebackers on the field at the same time.  How would you guys view those 2 who are on the field?  Meaning, with only 2 on the field, there isn't the traditional WLB, MLB, SLB.  Is the goal, when there are only 2 on the field, to have more coverage?

Thanks !!

Yes. More DBs. Think of the 5th DB as having some of the coverage role that the 3rd LB used to have. LouA can go very interchangeable with looks when he goes to 5 or even 6 DBs (like they did to Mahomes in the second halves of the two games last year). Let's them disguise coverage etc.  

Or they can go 5 d-lineman with 2 traditional LBers and have the d-line on the end stand up and mimic LB stuff. You have seen that with both Hubbard and Hendrickson on occasion. Hubbard had a huge sack and almost a safety in the Raiders playoff game last year from basically a middle LB type position on the field. 

The 2 LBs on the field in LouA's system have to be able to cover and come up and tackle well in the run game. The guys they have are good in that role. 

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Happy to hear Bachie has been cleared for the depth he provides.

Let me ask a legit question about the linebackers that may help my thoughts a bit.
Understanding they do not play a traditional 4-3 and many times they may only have 2 linebackers on the field at the same time.  How would you guys view those 2 who are on the field?  Meaning, with only 2 on the field, there isn't the traditional WLB, MLB, SLB.  Is the goal, when there are only 2 on the field, to have more coverage?

Thanks !!

Overall yes.    But the next 2 weeks maybe 3 feature running teams and 2 of them have dynamic RBs.    They may end up playing more snaps in a  traditional look in the short term.