Week 7: Falcons @ Bengals

HoosierCat

I’m really not trying to be a butt, but there’s literally bare bones.

Wilson is out.

Pratt and ADG are starting. 
Bailey is a MLB and then there is Clay Johnston backing up Wilson. Bachie is still recovering from his ACL tear in December. There is no one else currently on the roster.

As I mentioned we have two guys on the practice squad that were both I drafted free agents.

Like I said, I could very well be wrong. God knows I’ve been there more times than not, but I just don’t see it.

4 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

also I just checked the leaderboard and I am ahead of Army

SUCK IT ARMY

Y E A H

That’s hilarious TJ. 
Do you remember when we use to post milestones when people hit a posting mark ??

”Congratulations to TJ for his 1000th post on the board”.

Birthdays and all that stuff.

I mean if they have a plan to run more defensive plays with less LB’s, then maybe, but I simply think “Solid” and “Very good” may be a bit of a reach.

I have just always hated their approach to LB’s. It’s neither here nor there, just a peeve. If that’s all I have to be peeved about, I’m doing ok.

10 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I’m really not trying to be a butt, but there’s literally bare bones.

Wilson is out.

Pratt and ADG are starting. 
Bailey is a MLB and then there is Clay Johnston backing up Wilson. Bachie is still recovering from his ACL tear in December. There is no one else currently on the roster.

As I mentioned we have two guys on the practice squad that were both I drafted free agents.

Like I said, I could very well be wrong. God knows I’ve been there more times than not, but I just don’t see it.

Wilson plays like 97% of the time.      Prat about 60% and Gaither about 30%.      In terms of snaps.    The easy solution is to just up their snap counts.

My guess is that they could add a LB for precaution against more injury but the filling of Wilson coverage snaps could come from the safety group.    This could open up some snaps for Dax Hill as maybe Bates fills some of the Wilson coverage and Dax back fills Bates.   Just a guess.

ADG is excellent. Truly. if Wilson misses he steps in and we really do not miss a beat. Bailey is excellent. He was huge last year when Wilson was out before Wilson came back and made big plays. Johnston made a huge play against TN to stop Henry on the 2-point coversion. Bachie is close to being back and he was excellent last year. 

They obviously will miss Wilson, but some knee-jerk "they-must-sign-a-LB" reaction is really weird to me. There will be NO linebackers just floating on waivers or a practice squad that are within 10 miles of how good ADG and Bailey are. 

This isn’t to criticize Army or TJ, because they’re hardly alone in having some concerns about the linebacker room. I suspect though that at least some of it stems from a dated perception of defensive structure. If we’re still thinking in 4-3/3-4 terms, it will look barren just by pure numbers. But linebackers are just less important than they once were around the league, and the Bengals (as well as most other teams) simply don’t keep very many of them anymore. When you only have two on the field for most of the game, it’s just not wise to spend roster spots on the position.

As running backs wane in importance, so do linebackers. The running game in general is fast becoming obsolete. Run-heavy teams used to be Super Bowl contenders 20 years ago, and now they’re just “teams with subpar quarterbacks”.

Not at all guys, has nothing to do with the traditional 4-3/3-4 talk and I totally get everything that has been said to this point.
I'm not suggesting to go out and find another linebacker or make a trade for one either.
I simply think they need to make an effort to find a stud at the position instead of 3rd round at best and later to find starters.

While I like Wilson as much as anyone else here, I'm simply not as high on the remainder of them, outside of Pratt.
I don't view any of them as difference makers on that defense and want to see them make greater effort to find one.

However, I will readily embrace the idea of involving Dax Hill to get him on the field and gain snaps more in the meantime.
I'm not asking for any huge reaction at this point however.  The same could be said most places honestly.
Improve the depth...

One further problems with signing anyone, regardless of position: they really don’t have much space to add anyone. They’re just $3.6 million under the cap at this point. Typically they hold back more like $5 million for an injury pad but they cut into that when they claimed Scharping at $2.5 million for one year back in August. Not that they couldn’t redo a deal to free up space but we know that’s not the usual MO. 

The only guess I can make is that Mem took my use of the word "stud" with sexual connotations

If so, allow me to reassure you all that I am a card carrying lover of women....and when I say I love linemen or Wilson is a stud or other stuff like that, I have no sexual intent in my statement :-D

like, at all :-D

now if that wasnt what Mem found weird, I have no farking clue what it might be. 

Maybe mem will clarify

Oh, and I will agree with mem and disagree with army on the subject of ADG. 

I think he is highly underrated

That said, while I see him as a good LB of the type I prefer - a coverage linebacker - he's not in Wilson's class

This isnt a slam on ADG, it is more about how good Wilson is.

I personally would prefer the 2 LBs on the field on most downs to be ADG and Wilson, but Pratt is good too