2021 draft grades

Chase            A+    finally a #1 WO after almost three season without one

Carman          B-     1 round reach, hopefully he can fill a G position soon

Ossai              B+     big upside edge player, started playing the game in high school, great motor and desire to win every battle

Sample           B       rotational edge rusher, fills the need at edge with Ossai

Shelvin            C+     limited ability NT/Big boy run stuffer not much pass rush help

Smith               A-      looks like the steal of the draft for the Bengals, ranked similar to Carman by some (pro football network had him as the third best G prospect in the class)

McPhereson   B       hopefully our starting K for years, 1 round reach but at least they got the K they wanted

Hill                    D       not athletic, not a big need, wasted pick

Evans               D       1 round reach, has big time holes in his game, UDFA Pooka is a better prospect

Hubert             B       PS developmental edge rusher/ST 

Total draft B-

top four rounds A-/B+

two wasted picks late hurts this draft

I don’t think center is a wasted pick or not a big need given Hopkins’ injury. And Hill was a pretty highly thought of prospect before his weight issues last year.

Overall I don’t have a strong feeling about this draft class. Chase should be a home run but after that it all depends on who pans out. The good news IMO is that we don’t really need any of them to pan out immediately beyond Chase and Jackson (well, McPherson would be nice but I think that’s a given). So…grade? I dunno. B? Gentleman’s C? Ask again in 3 years.

I give it an A.  That is based solely on the first pick. 

If Chase plays to the level his tape, athleticism, and motor/ambition indicate is possible, he’ll change games.  He’ll be the difference between winning and losing in some games.  

I give it an A because a whole draft often doesn’t improve a team the way Chase will.  The rest of our picks I’m certain will have the usual surprises, some will rise to the challenge and some will bust.  Chase makes this draft an A.  He can be better than AJ, strange as that seems.

I liked the trade-down with New England because I think that this team needs a big turnover. For the same reason, I'd have traded down with Detroit in the first round and pocketed a third rounder. Would have lost out on Chase but wound up with Sewell plus another OL who was immediately ready

1. Penei Sewell

2. Terrence Marshall WR LSU.  Big downgrade from Chase

3. Joseph Ossai Edge

3. Wyatt Davis OG, or possibly Jackson Carman would have lasted that long. 

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I don’t think center is a wasted pick or not a big need given Hopkins’ injury. And Hill was a pretty highly thought of prospect before his weight issues last year.

Overall I don’t have a strong feeling about this draft class. Chase should be a home run but after that it all depends on who pans out. The good news IMO is that we don’t really need any of them to pan out immediately beyond Chase and Jackson (well, McPherson would be nice but I think that’s a given). So…grade? I dunno. B? Gentleman’s C? Ask again in 3 years.

Hill is a backup to Price if Hopkins isnt ready, that is not a big need, just a need and I’d rather have a cheap vet for that

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2021 at 1:13 PM, redsbengalsbucks said:

Back in the day i really enjoyed hearing other opinions on the draft results.  This board has fallen a long way, nobody willing to discuss others opinions, just petty bickering.  Sad to see this lack of discussion.

Peace , Im out

I think it's just the lack of traffic here, especially in the off-season.  Sucks, but the cool people still go to forums.  Come back when camp starts at least.

Back in the day i really enjoyed hearing other opinions on the draft results.  This board has fallen a long way, nobody willing to discuss others opinions, just petty bickering.  Sad to see this lack of discussion.

Peace , Im out

what?

Peace , Im out

Not for nothing, but there's a LOT of stuff on the main bengals part of the forum. For over a decade I have consistently stated I don't know why certain stuff is split into other sub-forums. It is hard to rank draft classes that just were drafted. Pretty sure from the threads on the main page on each player and the other threads, it is fair to say I was very pleased with this draft and that TJ hates Shelvin with the fiery intensity of 1000 suns. 

well, I did hate the Shelvin pick initially, not only it wasnt an OL but also because because we already had this player, specifically DJ Reader with at least 2 backups already in place

when I found out J Reader wasnt ready to go for 2021, I felt much better about the Shelvin pick

I hope he gets some conditioning in during this offseason so he can play a decent number of snaps in a game

back to the overall draft:

my whole take on the draft is colored heavily by the primary need going in - offensive line - and the fact that they did not in my opinion spend enough draft capital on the position, no matter how good the other players they took are.  A good example is Ossai.  I think he can be a really great DE, I really honestly do. But with Kendrick Green, Brady Christiansen, Spencer Brown, and Wyatt Davis all there for the taking at that selection, Ossai should not in my mind have been the pick.  I might even argue that they should have traded up ahead of Atlanta to snag Jalen Mayfield. 

Then there is the Carman pick when Cosmi was still available

and naturally, I will be watching to see how Carman fares over the next few years versus Teven Jenkins, who I think was a far far far better player for our specific needs

I just cant see this draft purely on a pick by pick value basis.....because of our OL problem, this draft is more for me about what we failed to do rather than what we did do

Hopefully, over time, Carman, Smith, and Hill will prove me wrong. 

I will be very glad to be wrong in this case