Round 7 Pick: Wyatt Hubert, DE, Kansas State

TDN:

Wyatt Hubert is an undersized, but energetic edge rusher that has been plenty productive during his career at Kansas State. Playing from many different platforms, he’s excelled the most from the stand-up position, which may force NFL teams to believe that he’s a 3-4 outside linebacker. While his experience in coverage is limited, he’s a ball of energy that doesn’t contain an off switch. His aggressive play as a pass rusher often helps him overcome his limitations, but his best asset to a team on the next level will come as a pass rusher. 

Scheme Fit: 3-4 OLB.

Ideal Role: Stand-up OLB in a 3-4 defensive front.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Ten picks - seven on offensive or defensive line. Literally, the draft TJ has always asked for.

cant just pick shitty OL and DL and make me happy with quantity

cant pick so damn many DL early when the job that needed to be done was protect New Guy.....DLs dont passblock

Also, near as I can tell we didnt come away with the Olineman we need to groom this year to play ORT next year, when Reiff is gone

in sum: they picked a lot of linemen, but imo not the right ones

as always with such things, I pray I am wrong and these guys surprise me and produce

Carman can easily rotate to RT.  He actually has better than 33 inch arms not the 32.5 that was reported.  He manned LT for a national champ squad.  The plan is to have Carman play RG this year getting comfortable with the scheme and the speed of the league then take over for Reiff in 2022.  Also don't sleep on D'Ante Smith, dude has 35" arms and is still growing into his body, would not surprise me if he was the steal of the draft after a couple of years in an NFL weight room

16 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

cant just pick shitty OL and DL and make me happy with quantity

cant pick so damn many DL early when the job that needed to be done was protect New Guy.....DLs dont passblock

Also, near as I can tell we didnt come away with the Olineman we need to groom this year to play ORT next year, when Reiff is gone

in sum: they picked a lot of linemen, but imo not the right ones

as always with such things, I pray I am wrong and these guys surprise me and produce

Smith in the 4th is literally that developmental RT. You are just wrong on these evaluations.

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Carman can easily rotate to RT.  He actually has better than 33 inch arms not the 32.5 that was reported.  He manned LT for a national champ squad.  The plan is to have Carman play RG this year getting comfortable with the scheme and the speed of the league then take over for Reiff in 2022.  Also don't sleep on D'Ante Smith, dude has 35" arms and is still growing into his body, would not surprise me if he was the steal of the draft after a couple of years in an NFL weight room

Paul Alexander and Willie both have worked with him and they both loved him saying he is a first rounder.

I know a lot of people around hear hate Paul Alexander, but he was a great O-Line coach. I remember listening to Pat Kirwin on Sirius XM football radio, about just how good Alexander is.  So if those guys say he is good I believe that.

I’m pretty confident Jackson will pan out. If either Smith or Hill blossom, great, but I’m not expecting anything, especially any time soon.

It’s important to remember that more OL will be available as rosters churn throughout the league. There will be more opportunity to find depth at least.

Smith is literally the RT project folks want. Great size and athleticism, long arms, huge chance for growth. Top 100 player on most boards including Brugler’s. Thorn gushed over this pick. 

he gets to apprentice and learn from Reiff. It is exactly the kind of pick you are always begging them to make. they’ve taken three swings at o-line, it is exactly what they needed to do to challenge that room and force competition.

so Wyatt Hubert - I dont see how he fits and I absolutely dont think the Bengals needed to draft a second DE much less a third DE, although some are saying he's a linebacker.

I love the motor he is described as having, sorta like Ossai in that sense

However......I think we'd have been better off with a deep speed WR here, or a true coverage linebacker.....or if we stayed with a passrushing DE give me Shaka Toney instead

7 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I’m pretty confident Jackson will pan out. If either Smith or Hill blossom, great, but I’m not expecting anything, especially any time soon.

It’s important to remember that more OL will be available as rosters churn throughout the league. There will be more opportunity to find depth at least.

I am confident Carman will pan out as well......but as a OG only

To me the need to fill with the second round pick was an OL who'd play ORG this year who could move to ORT next year when Reiff is gone

Carman imo isnt that guy

I think Cosmi would have been that guy, and thats my main problem with picking Carman

28 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I dont see Carman making it as an ORT....I see him as a OG only.   Of course, we need a good OG so in that respect it's good we have him.......but to me te bigger need was to ensure we have ORT covered for next year, and with a player with at least a year's experience under the belt which is why I wanted a player like that......like Cosmi......this year

as I said, i hope I am wrong

I've been out all day reffing youth soccer games so I havent gotten to read about D. Smith yet.  I'll get there in the next hour or so.  

Old Spice ad energy only adds to this touching scene.  I wonder if he played any special teams. That’s be a great way for him to stick, just make the roster and let his edge rush game develop over a couple seasons.  

That enthusiasm and confidence with the Wolves of Wallstreet chest thump makes you happy to have a guy on your team who obviously wants to play football for the Bengals.  He isn’t a blue chipper but he’ll bring a lot of heart and make others on the team play hard to beat him out of his position.  Should note that the Bengals must love the senior bowl.  They pick guys every year from it it seems

• Like 1

• 1 month later...