Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ArmyBengal

2021 NFL Draft

Recommended Posts

On 3/23/2021 at 7:33 PM, Stripes said:

While I like Darrisaw more than Slater, if that happens at #5 I will start prepping my molotov cocktails that night.

I wouldn't put much drama into it.   You never know what NFL scouts truly think until the card is filled out.

Last year Andrew Thomas went top 5 when a lot of mocks had Becton stealing the top spot closer to the draft. 

Many years ago we had Levi Jones that was 20-40 range according to mock drafts but in reality was on the radar of a couple teams top 15.   Ended up being one of the best LTs in the game for a brief period.

There's a lot of good tackle prospects.   It really could come down to intangibles etc.  I've talked myself into believing IF the Bengals go tackle at 5.  It will be Slater over Sewell.  Because Slater can naturally play RG this year and then a natural bump out to RT in the future pending on Reiff.    

IMO,  IF you want to fill guard in the first round then Slater is the perfect pick for an organization that won't pay guards top dollar.   They'll groom inside then transition to tackle solving that problem.    Bengals really have no business using a top 50 pick on a prospect they view as only interior OL.   They've proven even when they are correct in the selection (Steinbach and Zeitler) they will not pay a premium for that.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG I got my very first retweet

Lance McAlister retweeted me :-)

WOOT WOOT :-)

(for those not in Cincinnati, Lance is one of a handful of local radio sports show hosts/personalities)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TJ - I take it you are brand new to a twitter account? If so, make sure you are following the sharps in the draft community. Will help fill out your knowledge. Jon Ledyard, Kyle Crabbs, Dane Brugler, Jordan Reid, Brandon Thorn, among many others. Those just off the top of my head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

  I've talked myself into believing IF the Bengals go tackle at 5.  It will be Slater over Sewell. 

 

 

Seems improbable.  But it’s true you never know what scouts truly think of guys, or the red flags that are appearing in interviews and workouts.  Just seems very unlikely that Slater goes over Sewell based on what’s on tape.  Sewell absolutely dominated guys.

Would be a diabolical move by Mike to take the lesser tackle because you can get a year or two of guard play out of him.  
 

Other possibility - Draft Sewell, kick Reiff inside and let him tutor Sewell on field.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, COB said:

Seems improbable.  But it’s true you never know what scouts truly think of guys, or the red flags that are appearing in interviews and workouts.  Just seems very unlikely that Slater goes over Sewell based on what’s on tape.  Sewell absolutely dominated guys.

Would be a diabolical move by Mike to take the lesser tackle because you can get a year or two of guard play out of him.  
 

Other possibility - Draft Sewell, kick Reiff inside and let him tutor Sewell on field.  

I'd interpret signing Slater over Sewell as being a case of valuing what can the player do for me now over what can the player do for me down the road

while this may seem to play into your feeling that this would be "diabolical", my point here is that Burrow is by far the most important piece on the team and he needs quality protection NOW

so there is from this point of view an argument for taking the player who is better now

and it isn't like Slater isn't a great player - he's pretty much the only OT who handled Chase in 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just never imagined a high round draft pick would ever deign to acknowlege me :-)   Kinda thrilling

(and I think my question is relevant and important)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we land him, tj gets all the credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a huge deal for Cincy. Guarantees one of Sewell or Chase or Pitts at 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, membengal said:

It's a huge deal for Cincy. Guarantees one of Sewell or Chase or Pitts at 5. 

Yup. All down to what Atlanta does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They got two first round picks for going from third to twelfth?  Man, that shows how valuable those very top picks are.  
 

I assume they’re doing it to get a franchise QB at 3?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very possible now that the 4 QB in row possibility comes to reality.  If I am Carolina, Denver etc I would be on the phone with Atlanta right now to make sure they get their man, Ain't no QB going to be available past pick 8 or so.

 

That means that  all 3 guys are very likely to be available to us.  Best case scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, COB said:

They got two first round picks for going from third to twelfth?  Man, that shows how valuable those very top picks are.  
 

I assume they’re doing it to get a franchise QB at 3?

Yup. You don’t give up that much to move up and take a tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Very possible now that the 4 QB in row possibility comes to reality.  If I am Carolina, Denver etc I would be on the phone with Atlanta right now to make sure they get their man, Ain't no QB going to be available past pick 8 or so.

 

That means that  all 3 guys are very likely to be available to us.  Best case scenario.

Yah. Unless Atlanta is dead set on a QB themselves (and they just extended Ryan, tho I think it was only for a couple years) I think it more than likely they move down too. Heck the Bengals may be getting calls at 5 now (and will definitely be getting them if Atlanta sticks and takes a non-QB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dolphins now back up to No. 6.  Eagles traded back to 12.     Works out nicely for Phins they'll get what we don't take.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Dolphins now back up to No. 6.  Eagles traded back to 12.     Works out nicely for Phins they'll get what we don't take.

Lol. Draft day has come early!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Told y’all Miami trading out of 3 was a lock.

 

I am pretty upset about this

not only are we down one more potential trade down partner but we were actually fielding offers from a trade partner who was offering multiple r1 picks

once again, the Bengals serve me a heaping helping of sadness

maybe we should call them a factory of sadness, unless thats already been taken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TJJackson said:but we were actually fielding offers from a trade partner who was offering multiple r1 picks

 

Were we?  Last I heard, other teams said they didn’t even know who to call at PBS to talk about a trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shefter said they were in talks with the 9ers for pick 5

Maybe someone was walking by the pay phone booth and and heard the phone ringing

of interest only to me, perhaps - in the majority of draft simulators i tried, where trades where available, my trade down partner was almost always the 9ers for pick 12 to be used on Slater or Darrisaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

I am pretty upset about this

not only are we down one more potential trade down partner but we were actually fielding offers from a trade partner who was offering multiple r1 picks

once again, the Bengals serve me a heaping helping of sadness

maybe we should call them a factory of sadness, unless thats already been taken

Why in the world are you upset? "They ultimately wanted to go as high as they could" - means that we were never going to win out over Miami picking at 3 in terms of tradedown partners. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as I've said multiple times mem, I am a trade down guy, and the Bengals were according to Schefter in these talks

we blew yet another set of negotiations in a long series of failures for this thus-far failure of an offseason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×