Offensive Line Draft Talk Thread

membengal

37 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Bengals are probably still taking WR at 8 IF the draft goes like that.

Yup. A trade down with Carolina would cost the Panthers their third and fourth round picks this year (and even then the deal would be a few points light on the trade chart but let's say the Bengals do them a solid) and Carolina's third would give them enough firepower to package with their second and move back up into the late first is someone like, say, Darrislaw is slipping.

As much as I'd love to see Sewell here, I still cannot think of any way Mike Brown, alone, doesn't force hands and draft Chase after losing AJ.  They'll have their big possession/play guy in Higgins, their downfield speedster and all-around #1 in Chase, and their All-Pro slot WR in Boyd for the next 3 seasons.  Certainly potential there to be a top 5 passing unit, or maybe even top 3.  

And with the Eagles believing there is a pretty good chance the Bengals will take LSU’s Ja’Marr Chase at five (we mentioned in our mock this week that that Joe Burrow has given Cincinnati’s brass a glowing recommendation), Philly felt comfortable with the difference in talent between six and 12—and also operated with the knowledge that it’d be hard to get a future first (this being Miami’s slotted No. 1 in 2022) in exchange for moving down closer to the draft, particularly if it looked like the top four picks would be QBs.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup. A trade down with Carolina would cost the Panthers their third and fourth round picks this year (and even then the deal would be a few points light on the trade chart but let's say the Bengals do them a solid) and Carolina's third would give them enough firepower to package with their second and move back up into the late first is someone like, say, Darrislaw is slipping.

Now let’s not put ideas like getting both a WR threat AND Darrisaw into the world. I just put on new pants.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TJJackson said:

I love 99 out of 100 things about Dickerson, but that one piece I dont is an absolute killer

I will remind you that Anthony Munoz spent almost his entire college career on IR.  I would bet on a kid like Dickerson.  He is exactly what the Bengals are looking for.  Smart, Mauler, Leader, Football crazy, great technique....yes the injury history is a gamble but it is a gamble I will take in the second for a player who has position flexibility, drive, intelligence, and talent.

I know all of that, Wraith

I hope he goes on to a long and distinguished career in the NFL, hopefully with us.......but the risk is huge

too huge from my POV for me to spend a 2 on him

I say this knowing he is a center/guard, and I absolutely want a guard who can move to center (Hopkins wont last forever) in this draft - Humphries, Meinerz, maybe the OSU center, and ??  - so he holds extra allure as a prospect for me

That said, he seems healthy now, so I think it is a good bet that some team will take a chance on him sometime during day 2

Kiper’s updated rankings:

Offensive tackles

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon
2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
3. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
4. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State
5. Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame
6. Jalen Mayfield, Michigan
7. Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State
8. James Hudson III, Cincinnati
9. Walker Little, Stanford
10. Spencer Brown, Northern Iowa

Guards

1. Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC
2. Samuel Cosmi, Texas
3. Aaron Banks, Notre Dame
3. Wyatt Davis, Ohio State
4. Trey Smith, Tennessee
6. Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
7. Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame
8. Ben Cleveland, Georgia
9. Kendrick Green, Illinois
10. David Moore, Grambling

Centers

1. Landon Dickerson, Alabama
2. Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
3. Josh Myers, Ohio State
4. Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater
5. Michal Menet, Penn State
6. Drew Dalman, Stanford
7. Trey Hill, Georgia
8. Drake Jackson, Kentucky
9. Jimmy Morrissey, Pitt
10. Ryan McCollum, Texas A&M

Mine are a little different...

Tackle

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon, Round Grade 1 (Top Ten)

2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern, Round Grade 1

3. Christian Darrisaw, Va. Tech, Round Grade 1

4. Teven Jenkins, Okla State (Guard), Round Grade 1

5. Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State (Guard), Round Grade 1

6. Alex Leatherwood, Alabama (Guard), Round Grade 1

7. Sam Cosmi, Texas, Round Grade 1

8. Walker Little, Stanford, Round Grade 1

9. Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame, Round Grade 2

10. Jackson Carmen, Clemson, Round Grade 2

For Interior Offensive Line, I see no reason to differentiate Guard and Center since all these guys will likely start their career at Guard, where they have the skillset to transition to Center it is marked.

Guard/Center

1. Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC, Round Grade 1

2. Landon Dickerson, Alabama (Center), Round Grade 1

3. Wyatt Davis, Ohio State, Round Grade 2

4. Creed Humphreys, Oklahoma (Center), Round Grade 2

5. Quinn Meinerz, UW-Whitewater (Center), Round Grade 3

6. Trey Smith, Tennessee, Round Grade 4

7. Kendrick Green, Illinois, Round Grade 4

8. Deonte Brown, Alabama, Round Grade 4

9. Ben Cleveland, Georgia, Round Grade 5

10. Josh Myers, Ohio State (Center), Round Grade 5

As you can see, in my evaluation, the Tackle Class is much stronger than the IOL class.  BTW, I have researched the NFL Draft and graded myself based on NFL success on my grades every year since the mid-90's...I have a better record on my evaluations than does Mel Kiper...which I think speaks more for his lack of talent than it does my talent....the same cannot be said for PFF, Mike Mayock, Daniel Jeremiah or Matt Miller.

28 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Kiper’s updated rankings:

Offensive tackles

1. Penei Sewell, Oregon
2. Rashawn Slater, Northwestern
3. Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech
4. Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State
5. Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame
6. Jalen Mayfield, Michigan
7. Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State
8. James Hudson III, Cincinnati
9. Walker Little, Stanford
10. Spencer Brown, Northern Iowa

Guards

1. Alijah Vera-Tucker, USC
2. Samuel Cosmi, Texas
3. Aaron Banks, Notre Dame
3. Wyatt Davis, Ohio State
4. Trey Smith, Tennessee
6. Alex Leatherwood, Alabama
7. Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame
8. Ben Cleveland, Georgia
9. Kendrick Green, Illinois
10. David Moore, Grambling

Centers

1. Landon Dickerson, Alabama
2. Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
3. Josh Myers, Ohio State
4. Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater
5. Michal Menet, Penn State
6. Drew Dalman, Stanford
7. Trey Hill, Georgia
8. Drake Jackson, Kentucky
9. Jimmy Morrissey, Pitt
10. Ryan McCollum, Texas A&M

Hudson is good, but man did he let his team down by getting tossed against UGA 

• Like 1

I see Leatherwood as a OT who can play OG rather than a OG who can play OT

He ticks all the boxes for me as a OT......and his arm length at 34 inches is only just an inch off of the alleged target of 35 for an OT

https://relativeathleticscores.com/ras-information/?PlayerID=17816

so I see him as an OT, though yeah, he probably plays at ORG this year and gets groomed by Reiff for ORT in 2022

If we go the Chase at 5 and OL at 38 route, he is THE guy I want at 38. (unless Darrisaw slips to 38, which is unlikely in the extreme).  2nd choice Jenkins.  Not a fan of Radunz, Cosmi, or Davis

If not that, a passrushing DL in r3 and Meinerz in r4 would be an excellent consolation prize

Build the lines with both now and the future both in mind

Big week. LSU pro day today and Oregon on Friday. Would guess any hot takes updates will be centered on Chase’s 40 time or Sewell’s arm length measurements. Assuming both are fine, the forum and Twitter wars will continue for a month.

2 hours ago, membengal said:

Big week. LSU pro day today and Oregon on Friday. Would guess any hot takes updates will be centered on Chase’s 40 time or Sewell’s arm length measurements. Assuming both are fine, the forum and Twitter wars will continue for a month.

Florida also which I read Zac Taylor is attending.

Is it a smoke screen or is all the Chase/Pitts talk an attempt to get Miami to move up a spot? 

Miami is where they want to be. They already traded back to 12 and up to 6. Why would they come up again if they could have just stayed put at 3?

Each Pro Day can only have a max of 3 from each team. I am sure the Bengals split their delegation up accordingly. 

My thinking is Miami moved back up to 6 to draft Pitts. 

Eagles moved out because they thought Bengals are taking Chase.  

I guess Miami is fine with either Chase or Pitts.  But if Pitts is there too target then maybe. 

I’m sure there’s a reason Zac is a Florida vs Oregon or LSU.   

On 3/30/2021 at 10:37 AM, COB said:

I think they’re going to take Chase.  He does look amazing.  I’ll hope for great things from the pieced-together line they’re going to roll out there.  It’s all on Pollack’s shoulders.  He’s getting handed a sub par group and being expected to coach them up to respectability.

Tobin’s legacy may be letting two very high level, like franchise player level, tackles slip through his fingers.  He low-balled Whit, and now will take a receiver over Sewell.  

This is a very likely scenario.  Nice point about Tobins legacy.  He was dominating in Bengals history books until Zeitler and Whit left.  

On 3/30/2021 at 11:11 AM, Wraith said:

If QB goes 1-4 why would Carolina trade up to #5?  The Dolphins are not taking Mac Jones and I doubt Detroit will either so wouldn't you just hold your water at #8 and see if your guy drops?  Now, Denver or Chicago or possibly even Minnesota trading up is a real possibility but you have live with the certainty at that point that you are going to miss out on those three blue chip talents.  I really do think they stick at #5 and there is a real chance that all three of these guys are sitting there...it will be a hell of decision...but the good news is they really can't go wrong.  Worst case scenario is that one of the three are there and then it becomes an easy decision.  

(NY could decide to build around Darnold and take Sewell)

I think it comes down to Burrow in the end.  If he stands on the table for Chase they draft him, if not they go Pitts unless one of the two goes at #4.

I was thinking the same.  If Joe stands on the table, stomps his feet, and cries... Mike and Duke will draft Chase.  

i’f love to see the trade down where they get Pitts.  I am beginning to feel like though that they win with anybody the 3 guys.  Sewells lack of college time worries me .

I direct you all to the NFL draft thread in the other forum and note, again, that Chase is probably a better prospect than Sewell and that we can improve line at pick 38. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, membengal said:

I direct you all to the NFL draft thread in the other forum and note, again, that Chase is probably a better prospect than Sewell and that we can improve line at pick 38. 

I think at this time we are beating a dead horse.  I think everyone on this site gets this and fortunately I think the Bengals do as well. Per Cincy Jungle, Steven Radicevic was on a Podcast recently called Locked On Bengals where he acknowledged that this is a very deep oline class and you can pick up players to help you at all levels of the draft.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/3/31/22360495/nfl-draft-rumors-bengals-scouting-director-notes-deep-offensive-line-class-in-upcoming-nfl-draft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1