Rams @ Bengals Pregame Chatter/Game Thread

HoosierCat

4 minutes ago, GapControl said:

Wrong forum and all but Bengalszone has been a part of my life for almost 10 years.  If one of the Mods can find a better spot, please do, because I'd like to tell all my brethren Bengals fans that I got married on Sunday just before the Cards game!  Wife and I watched it together for the first time in matrimony.  If someone can help me adjust pic size, I'll post one of her in her Bengals gear in Okinawa and hell... I'll even   put one of myself once I take it!

Congrats GC!!

Advice from an old married guy, IMHO the most important part of your wedding were the vows. Don't ever forget them and honor her like you vowed to!!  (Assuming you did.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

Congrats GC!!

Advice from an old married guy, IMHO the most important part of your wedding were the vows. Don't ever forget them and honor her like you vowed to!!  (Assuming you did.)

Thank you, sir.  I vowed in two languages, even if I screwed some of the Nihongo up.

19 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

It seems unlikely but stranger things have happened. I wonder whether Roethlisberger can stay upright for that many more games. I'll be very interested to see how he looks against Seattle.

The Seattle game will be a huge test. Depending on how that goes, which 3 games do you see the Bengals losing?

I see them losing primetime at Denver, Browns, and Steelers.

How does tie breaker work if they both finish 11-5 with a split against each other?

56 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

The Seattle game will be a huge test. Depending on how that goes, which 3 games do you see the Bengals losing?

I see them losing primetime at Denver, Browns, and Steelers.

How does tie breaker work if they both finish 11-5 with a split against each other?

Divison Record is next

1 hour ago, GapControl said:

Wrong forum and all but Bengalszone has been a part of my life for almost 10 years.  If one of the Mods can find a better spot, please do, because I'd like to tell all my brethren Bengals fans that I got married on Sunday just before the Cards game!  Wife and I watched it together for the first time in matrimony.  If someone can help me adjust pic size, I'll post one of her in her Bengals gear in Okinawa and hell... I'll even   put one of myself once I take it!

Mazel Tov! Wishing you many happy years, Gap!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregcook68 said:

Conference record would be next.

As for the remaining games...

St. Louis - should win. If they drop this one we get into dangerous territory. The bandwagon is already lighter after the last two weeks and it will empty out if they lose Sunday.

@ Cleveland - again, should win. But as I've noted the Clowns give Dalton fits for some reason. However, Cleveland this year is like if you had a dumpster but it was a train and it was on fire and it wrecked in a swamp full of alligators. But but again ,it's a division game, throw out the records, etc.

Steelers - toss up. These games are always tough and this won't be any different. Goes without saying that this game will have [donald trump] yuuuuuuuuge [/donald trump] implications for the AFCN title and playoff seeding.

@49ers - should win. Niners are Cleveland West this year. But it's on the West Coast and that's always a tough trip.

@ Broncos - in betting parlance, this one is OFF. Ask me again the week before when we have some idea who will be QB and how they've looked. D will be tough in any event. Again, will likely have huge implications for playoff seeding.

Ravens - should win. But it's a division game, we could be resting guys, we could need a win to get in, who knows? Ask me again the week before.

Basically, I'm pretty confident they win 3 of these games. 4 is quite doable if they just cut the penalties, focus and execute. 5 wins? Could be done but probably not. 6 seems unlikely because if they win through the Broncos game they will likely be locked into the two seed (it doesn't look like NE is going to lose 1 game much less 2-3) and will be suiting up the taxi squad against Baltimore.

9 minutes ago, gregcook68 said:

So assuming Pittsburgh loses to the Bengals, but wins the rest, and the Bengals lose in Cleveland, Denver, and Pittsburgh, the Thugs would win the division because they would have beaten Ravens and Browns twice.

If that scenario played out then that would give Pitts a 3-3 divisional record. If we beat Pitts (and lose to Cleveland and Baltimore) we'd have a 4-2 div record so have the advantage in the tie-breaker

???????

Just for the record:

NFL Tiebreaking Procedures

The six postseason participants from each conference are seeded as follows:

1. The division champion with the best record.
  2. The division champion with the second-best record.
  3. The division champion with the third-best record.
  4. The division champion with the fourth-best record.
  5. The Wild Card club with the best record.
  6. The Wild Card club with the second-best record.

The following procedures will be used to break standings ties for postseason playoffs and to determine regular-season schedules.

NOTE: Tie games count as one-half win and one-half loss for both clubs.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  12. Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
  2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  4. Strength of victory.
  5. Strength of schedule.
  6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best net points in conference games.
  9. Best net points in all games.
  10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  11. Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  12. Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES

1. Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step. Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild Card tie-breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to Step 1 of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tiebreaker, all other clubs revert to Step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.
  2. In comparing records against common opponents among tied teams, the best won-lost-tied percentage is the deciding factor, since teams may have played an unequal number of games.
  3. To determine home-field priority among division-titlists, apply Wild Card tie-breakers.
  4. To determine home-field priority for Wild Card qualifiers, apply division tie-breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild Card tiebreakers (if teams are from different divisions).
  5. To determine the best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed, add a team's position in the two categories, and the lowest score wins. For example, if Team A is first in points scored and second in points allowed, its combined ranking is "3." If Team B is third in points scored and first in points allowed, its combined ranking is "4." Team A then wins the tiebreaker. If two teams are tied for a position, both teams are awarded the ranking as if they held it solely. For example, if Team A and Team B are tied for first in points scored, each team is assigned a ranking of "1" in that category, and if Team C is third, its ranking will still be "3."

4 hours ago, GapControl said:

Congrats GC! Same on hanging here 10 years too. I hit 12 years here on the 30th.

46 minutes ago, BengalszoneBilly said:

Congrats GC! Same on hanging here 10 years too. I hit 12 years here on the 30th.

I passed the dozen years mark on the 6th Nov .... wow, how time has flown

• Like 1

You guys should definitely win vs. the Rams.  We play them twice a year and usually win.  We lost a flukey game against them this year outplayed them and moved the ball up and down almost at will but couldn't make the TDS plus had turnovers. They do have a reputation of being dirty so you have to watch out for that.

Their front four is fierce their LBs are good especially Laurinaitis but not elite. Their DBs are OK. Offense is average except for Gurley. I see you winning the rest of your games. We play the niners which gives us a chance to get healthy, especially PP who had to go out much to the advantage of AJ. If we get our starting guards back and Michael Floyd we should/could win out but the schedule after the niners is not easy. 

1 hour ago, CardinalMan said:

You guys should definitely win vs. the Rams.  We play them twice a year and usually win.  We lost a flukey game against them this year outplayed them and moved the ball up and down almost at will but couldn't make the TDS plus had turnovers. They do have a reputation of being dirty so you have to watch out for that.

Their front four is fierce their LBs are good especially Laurinaitis but not elite. Their DBs are OK. Offense is average except for Gurley. I see you winning the rest of your games. We play the niners which gives us a chance to get healthy, especially PP who had to go out much to the advantage of AJ. If we get our starting guards back and Michael Floyd we should/could win out but the schedule after the niners is not easy. 

Thanks for stopping back post game. Good to have other teams fans around.

On 11/24/2015, 7:48:32, HoosierCat said:

He has a reputation for this, an absolute stand up guy.  I remember last year (I think), on his way home from practice one day, he stopped at a homeless shelter and spent several hours helping out.  I would love to shake his hand.

23 hours ago, GapControl said:

Congrats Gap!  Have fun on your honey moon.  And if you need help resizing a pic, send me a PM, I'd be happy to help.