Draft/FA Rumor Mill

HoosierCat

his speculation that they won't go DT early. Instead they'll re-sign Still and maybe bring in an old washed-up dude or two to "compete."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total mismanagement.

But they re seemingly fine letting Hall "steal" close to $10M to b a barely average CB for another season is in line with this poor level of management style.

I can't reconcile this thinking, given the competitiveness around the league to improve, that they didn't take full advantage of the situation thy re in with funds there and players that those funds could be used to bring in. It is failing, IMHO, of this organization for years and though they've improved recently, it persisits.

his speculation that they won't go DT early. Instead they'll re-sign Still and maybe bring in an old washed-up dude or two to "compete."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Total mismanagement.

But they re seemingly fine letting Hall "steal" close to $10M to b a barely average CB for another season is in line with this poor level of management style.

I can't reconcile this thinking, given the competitiveness around the league to improve, that they didn't take full advantage of the situation thy re in with funds there and players that those funds could be used to bring in. It is failing, IMHO, of this organization for years and though they've improved recently, it persisits.

Do you think that Hobs really has any clue what he's talking about here?

When it comes to the draft, he's just as in the dark as the rest of us.

I heard on the way into work this morning that with the good news Still got with his daughter that he is trying to determine whether to sign the one year deal and come back to the team or retire and move on. I think if that is in fact true, him retiring would certainly push DT up the priority list. I know they have guys that can play both DE and DT, but you can't tell me upgrading that spot would be a great thing.

Malcolm Brown, DT, Texas wouldn't bother me in the least !!!

Well, as soon as I posted what I heard them discussing this morning, you get this quote from Devon:

Obviously if the news hadnt been this good, I would have wanted to have spent more time with my daughter. But now that it looks like things are headed on the right path, Im ready to go back and play football.

Hobs may not have a hotline to the FO but he's usually tuned into the zeitgeist at PBS. And events do seem to be trending toward an offensive pick at 21.

Both notable outside free agent signings were on defense, and the first big (i.e. top priority) re-signing was at linebacker.

The Bengals haven't take a defensive tackle in the first round in 20 years (Big Daddy, 1994) and that pick was a bust. They haven't selected a DE in the first since Justin Smith in 2001. The FO has never viewed safety as a position worthy of a first round pick, and CB would be ridiculous luxury pick. That leaves linebacker, where they haven't made a successful first-round pick since TKO in 1998. They've also added a free agent LB, re-signed FNR and spent extra money to put the second-round tender on Lamur. If they are targeting LB in the draft, they are hiding it reeeeeeeealy well IMO.

Meanwhile, aside from re-signing Boling, they've done practically nothing on offense. They seem content to let their starting TE of the last four years walk. Attempts to replace him in FA could best be described as disinterested: they brought in one old, washed-up dude in Fasano who eventually signed elsewhere and a second candidate, Casey, who appears to have little to no other interest on the market. They have completely ignored a wide and talent-rich crop of FA wide receivers, despite the fact that anybody who's anybody at WR on the team right now is a free agent in 2016. And they've shown no concern whatsoever about having three potential free agents, including both tackles, on the o-line next year.

The FO is firmly behind Dalton (at least for this year) and they're up to their nostrils in running backs...so yeah, OL, WR and TE look like good bets at 21. For all my joking about Maxx Williams, I really don't see them pulling the trigger on him in the first. If for no other reason than that the organization scares easily and has spent two first round picks on the position in four years with little to show for it.

At this point I'd still predict that TJ is going to see his annual wish -- GIMME A LINEMAN! -- granted at 21. But...we could see a run on linemen in the first that pushes some of the top receivers down the board, and that would be attractive, too. Still, sticking with OL for now. It would be a somewhat annoying pick since it means they would yet again use a first-round selection on a guy who isn't likely to make a big impact in 2015, but that's just how they roll these days.

I would be more than content to see a lineman on either side of the ball, but can't see DE being part of that conversation any longer.

If not that, a LB would more than make sense to me and then go from there.

Second round and beyond ?? Yeah WR and TE are the next two logical directions they should go in.

That being said, you never know who's going to be available when the team goes on the clock.

There might be a player that falls for whatever reason or the best player might end up being a luxury pick that's not a need.

All I know is, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I still think a trade down might be their best option.

I would have very little concern with a trade down unless someone unreal was sitting there for the taking.

Acknowledging of course that "someone unreal" is strictly my own opinion on the subject.

I recall getting pissed when DeCastro was sitting there and they traded down.

I thought that was a no brainer at the time.

I would have very little concern with a trade down unless someone unreal was sitting there for the taking.

Totally agree .... is there likely to be a stud at a position of need at 21? If not, then trade down and plug more holes with decent acquisitions seems a sensible stratagem.

But what would the Bengals likely receive in return for surrendering the No.21 pick ???

The scenario I'm fascinated by is if Hundley is there at 21. It was noted that Zampese was there for his work out. Perhaps they go get a guy who could eclipse both Dalton and McCarron in a year or two.

He's still raw but has the tools and the mentality.

I think Hundley is certainly sitting there at #21. I don't think there's any way in hell they make that pick though.

I would argue that they wouldn't make that pick if he was sitting there in the 2nd round.

Not going to argue the right and wrong of that decision, only stating what I would expect to see.

In regards to what they can get in a trade down, there were two trades in the first round of the draft last year.

The Browns moved from pick 26 to pick 22 and gave up a 3rd round pick to do that.

The Saints moved from pick 27 to pick 20 and gave up a 3rd round pick to do that.

I suppose, like Hoosier stated, it would depend on how far a team wants to trade up from and how far down the Bengals are comfortable dropping in the pecking order. In looking strictly at last year as a guide, that 3rd rounder looks like a logical expectation unless they move out of the first round totally and I don't see that as a smart move at all.

Move down 4-5 picks and grab an extra 3rd ?? I would be interested in that depending on which players were still on the board.

In other news, Brandon Ghee, aka "Mr. Glass," is back.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/3/19/8257349/bengals-sign-brandon-ghee-titans

My bet: IR by the third week of August.

With the way things have gone with MJ coming back and now Still for at least another year, CB is almost a certain at some point in the draft.

Ghee is just another guy to take snaps until the rookie shows him up or, more likely, Ghee gets injured.

Brandon "Glass" Ghee set to return ...... that'll put a hole in the injury kitty

Looks that way. Clearly we aren't getting a veteran unless he's willing to play for company scrip. But they have been eyeing TEs all over the draft board. Hayes was at Southern Illinois the other day to check out MyCole Pruitt.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000480114/article/bengals-get-good-look-at-southern-illinois-mycole-pruitt

They were also at Rutgers to check out Tyler Kroft.

/>http://www.cincyjungle.com/2015/3/12/8196831/nfl-draft-2015-bengals-tyler-kroft

And they were at Maxx Williams' pro day:

/>http://cover32.com/bengals/2015/03/03/cincinnati-bengals-send-their-tight-ends-coach-to-watch-maxx-williams-pro-day/

Williams is a 1-2 round guy. Pruitt I've seen as high as 2. Kroft is projected in the 4th. Of the three Kroft is the best blocker and would make sense given the role they want to fill. The Bengals would probably be in a great spot to snap him up with that third round comp pick.