Bengals @ Patriots Game Thread

HoosierCat

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How confident are you that the fine will be $12,367?

I came up with it by picking random numbers out of a hat, which is my understanding of how it's done in the NFL front office, so...

PS your check is in the mail. Please note account is overdrawn so there may be a delay in processing.

I'm sensing a lot of hostility from you recently Hoosier.

:lmao:/>

The Patriots bring out the worst in me. I haven't hated a team this much since Dallas in the Seventies.

How confident are you that the fine will be $12,367?

I came up with it by picking random numbers out of a hat, which is my understanding of how it's done in the NFL front office, so...

PS your check is in the mail. Please note account is overdrawn so there may be a delay in processing.

I'm sensing a lot of hostility from you recently Hoosier.

:lmao:/>/>

The Patriots bring out the worst in me. I haven't hated a team this much since Dallas in the Seventies.

Dallas in the 70s??? That's the ONLY time I could tolerate them. Tom Landry and Roger Staubach.

It's when Jerry Jones took the helm that they started to make me nauseous!

I know the team has to be focused on the Patriots and preparing for this game just like for any other. Approaching the game in any other way would be terrible hubris.

But for me, a fan, this game is different. For me, if the Bengals don't stomp Tom Brady into a mud hole on the 50 yard line it will be because they have not played near to their potential. For me, in this game, the Bengals are playing against themselves, or rather the perception of themselves and whatever it is that has made Marvin Lewis teams so consistently terrible in prime time and off bye weeks. If they come out looking flat, but still win, it will be disappointing. If they choke and lose, it will be very disappointing - but who among the fans will be that surprised.

If they win in a commanding fashion, as we all know is well within their power ... that may would mark a new day for our Bengals! :bengal:/>

I know the team has to be focused on the Patriots and preparing for this game just like for any other. Approaching the game in any other way would be terrible hubris.

But for me, a fan, this game is different. For me, if the Bengals don't stomp Tom Brady into a mud hole on the 50 yard line it will be because they have not played near to their potential. For me, in this game, the Bengals are playing against themselves, or rather the perception of themselves and whatever it is that has made Marvin Lewis teams so consistently terrible in prime time and off bye weeks. If they come out looking flat, but still win, it will be disappointing. If they choke and lose, it will be very disappointing - but who among the fans will be that surprised.

If they win in a commanding fashion, as we all know is well within their power ... that may would mark a new day for our Bengals! :bengal:/>/>

Couldn't agree more. By the way Walrus, have you considered an orthodontist?

Just saying. :)

If they come out looking flat AND still win ??

Yeah, color me f*cking thrilled.

Seriously, however they get the win is fine by me.

I would prefer it be in a convincing fashion, but 4-0 after a primetime win IN Foxboro sounds pretty great.

I'm hoping I totally overestimate the fact it's Brady, primetime, and in Foxboro.

I would love to stay up late Sunday night watching a complete annihilation of the Patriots.

Boring my ass !!!

Dallas in the 70s??? That's the ONLY time I could tolerate them. Tom Landry and Roger Staubach.

Oh, it isn't the players (though Tedy Bruschi can go jump off a cliff). It's the BS media mystique that grinds my gears, the same way all the "America's Team" garbage did back in the day.

You want to know the "Patriots Way"? I'll tell you the effing Patriots Way. There's no secret or genius, just these two steps:

1. Completely luck into a once-in-a-generation talent at QB.

2. Play in a division with three perennially crap teams.

That's it. That's the "Way." That doesn't mean they haven't been a good team, but I don't think any team with the possible exception of the Colts has been as set up for success as New England.

Oh, it isn't the players (though Tedy Bruschi can go jump off a cliff). It's the BS media mystique that grinds my gears, the same way all the "America's Team" garbage did back in the day.

You want to know the "Patriots Way"? I'll tell you the effing Patriots Way. There's no secret or genius, just these two steps:

That's it. That's the "Way." That doesn't mean they haven't been a good team, but I don't think any team with the possible exception of the Colts has been as set up for success as New England.

Don't get me wrong, the Pats are definitely on my list of teams I root against 99% of the time, except when they play Pittsburgh and Baltimore, but ever since the game last year in Pittsburgh with the Huber incident, Tomlin getting away with his sideline antics, and Big Ben's shennanigans,not to mention the division rivalry, Pittsburgh will always be at the top of the list!

Totally agree. And that's Not to say that Belichick is a bad coach. He's not, he's just a dick. And when you are a total dick, most folks smile that much more when your gravy train runs out, or in his case, when his once-in-a-generation QB has threads wearing through.

No one will swoon at the fall of the mighty Patriot dynasty.... more like smile.

Well, if it's any comfort it sounds like Hue and Andy's heads are in the right place.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Jackson-Were-the-huntedBurfict-Marvin-Jones-highly-questionable-after-sitting-Thursday-/2664f5d5-0098-4de8-828c-bad0bfa135b6?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Well, if it's any comfort it sounds like Hue and Andy's heads are in the right place.

/>http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Jackson-Were-the-huntedBurfict-Marvin-Jones-highly-questionable-after-sitting-Thursday-/2664f5d5-0098-4de8-828c-bad0bfa135b6?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

Sounds to me that Hue has complete confidence that this team is ready to show everyone that there's a new sheriff in town and wilting under the lights is in the past.

If they can go out there and execute, with no turnovers and minimal penalties, it's a big step forward even if the Patriots play out of their minds and the Bengals lose a close one.

3. Cheat as much as possible with no chance of retribution.

3. Cheat as much as possible with no chance of retribution.

Perfect!! No SB since they were caught too! The best franchise in football still needs to cheat to win???????

Sounds like the team is getting a little healthier here as we get to the end of the week. For yesterday the DNP's were:

Boling and Whitworth (vet day)

Burfict (concussion)

Marvin Jones (ankle)

Thompson (knee)

Zeitler (calf)

Burfict and Jones are the only real unexpecteds there versus what we'd hoped for before the bye. As for the rest, only Geathers (toe) and Hunt (shoulder) were limited yesterday. Everyone else, including Iloka, was full go.

This is where the depth comes into play.

I would rather Thompson be up and healthy, but they have enough guys that are capable of moving inside.

I would rather Zeitler in there as well, but Pollak has filled in seamlessly.

Jones will be a nice addition to the offense, but Dalton isn't hurting for options and Hue makes it all work nicely.

Burfict is still the one. Simply no way to replace what it is he brings to the field.

You can fill the slot with the next guy up, but it's not the same.

That's a nice situation for a team to find themselves in.

Brady was a tuck rule away from not making it to the SB that first year. Their SB wins were good games but came down to the end.

Arguably their best team was the 16-0 team with Moss and they loss that SB.

And the spygate thing was quickly brushed aside.

They deserve credit for their run but maybe this is the beginning of the end for them.

This is where the depth comes into play.

I would rather Thompson be up and healthy, but they have enough guys that are capable of moving inside.

I would rather Zeitler in there as well, but Pollak has filled in seamlessly.

Jones will be a nice addition to the offense, but Dalton isn't hurting for options and Hue makes it all work nicely.

Burfict is still the one. Simply no way to replace what it is he brings to the field.

You can fill the slot with the next guy up, but it's not the same.

That's a nice situation for a team to find themselves in.

Totally agree with you here. Of all the positions, the only one where we see a drop off in a major way is with Burfict. Not that the rest of the corps isn't solid, but Burfict is just that good.