Titans @ Bengals Game Thread

HoosierCat

Wasn't Ryan Hewitt looking good in camps? Was that at TE or as a FB ??

How about pinching someone like Asante Cleveland off of the 49ers PS, Rob Blanchflower from the Steelers PS or Eric Swoope from the Colts PS?? All sizeable guys

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football Outsiders Quick Reads for week 2.

/>http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2014/week-2-quick-reads

Dalton ranked as the 9th-best QB for the week, Hill as the third-best RB. Interesting note about Andy's performance:

Dalton had the league's worst DYAR throwing to the outside (8-of-14 for 27 yards and two first downs), but the league's best DYAR throwing to the middle (7-of-9 for 225 yards, with every completion gaining at least 16 yards and a first down.

And some props for the D in Ryan's note (he ranked 30th for the week).

Remember when we said that Andy Dalton was the league's best quarterback when throwing to the middle of the field? Well, his counterpart on Sunday was the worst, going 5-of-15 for 84 yards with three first downs and two interceptions.

Here's their comment on Hill:

Hill was the NFL equivalent of a singles hitter, getting on base a lot, but needing help from teammates to score. He only ran for three first downs (including a goal-line touchdown), but each of his 15 carries gained positive yardage, and 11 of them counted as successful plays. He had three receptions for 21 yards in four targets.

In his mailbag column today, Hobson says he thinks the TE they'll sign is Kevin Brock, who they picked up late last season but cut after camp this year.

But on Tuesday they’ll still sign a veteran blocking-oriented tight end to replace Smith because the sense is they’re still going to use Hewitt as a swingman at fullback and tight end. And it will be no surprise if that veteran is Kevin Brock, who was here all of training camp and been with six teams since ’09. It’s nice when you have your own journeyman.

/>http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5634/kevin-brock

Yup, it's Brock. Breaking on the tweeter thing now...

Just saw where bengals added TE Kevin Brock. Name sounds very familiar but can't picture him?

Run blocker we had in camp. Been in the league six years, done squat. But probably the best option at this point, at least he's got some familiarity with the offense.

Bengals' ticket office is saying a blackout is likely, "well short" of the 85% needed. Not that it matters to skyline this week...

Haha yeah, I'm having a ball this week.

Talking it up on the Titans forums, messing with my students, etc. Have to tread lightly around the wife, though. blush.gif

Next up, I may have to start calling into the radio stations.

One radio personality said this morning that Dalton caves under pressure and that the Titans would need to blitz him early and often. I'm guessing he hasn't watched the first two games...

Can't imagine the Titans are a team that is viewed as an intriguing team to go watch.

Couple that with all our injured guys being sat and I can't say as i'm surprised about a possible blackout.

That sucks, because I can't make it to the game this weekend, but it is what it is.

Kevin Brock huh ?? Like I said before, the options are few and far.

One radio personality said this morning that Dalton caves under pressure and that the Titans would need to blitz him early and often. I'm guessing he hasn't watched the first two games...

I love the on-site reporting! I hope they do blitz a lot, because Hill and Gio will have a field day against their terrible run defense.

week 3 power rankings and we are currently the second best team in the NFL, you will never guess who's top even though they almost lost at home.

/>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000395698/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-3-chargers-soar-seahawks-tumble

PFT had us 5th,Yahoo 4th though had much <3 felt we could be best team in NFL.

Power rankings, power shmankings, let's go straight into wildly early statistical speculation:

Cincinnati's odds of...

...making the postseason: 65.3%

...getting to the conference championship: 26.8%

...getting to the Super Bowl: 13.4%

...LOMBARDI: 6.6%

Finally, chance Super Bowl is the Bill Walsh Memorial Bowl (Cin/SF): 2.2%

/>http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

So, what happens when it looks like a game will only be airing in Nashville? Well, for one thing you don't get the A-team or B-team announcers. Or even the C-team. You get the emergency teams they turn to when all six of CBS on-air duos are booked and they still need someone to call the game.

This week, that duo is Brad "I used to do radio for the Bengals" Johansen and Chris "my dad is Phil" Simms.

/>http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/9217/on-the-air-titans-at-bengals

Lazy, lazy, lazy...

God forbid sports guys actually, you know, WATCH sports as opposed to spitting out someone elses opinion from before the start of the season.

ALL QBs struggle with defensive pressure. I think the Bengals D has proven that with the QBs they've stymied last year and so far this yer.

The question is, do they have the defense to execute that pressure?

Here's the M*A*S*H report for today, via Hobs:

• A.J. Green taking today off, might go tomorrow.
  • Vontaze Burfict absent from the field.
  • Kevin Zeitler (calf) also not on the field, doubtful for Sunday, probably out at least a month.
  • Brandon Thompson (knee), Marvin Jones (foot) and running back Rex Burkhead (knee) working on the rehab field.
  • Andrew Whitworth and Mike Pollak had veteran rest days.

Yeah, this game has me more antsy than the first two. It feels like a trap game. Though I did love Whitworth's comments to Harvey today...

Coley Harvey @ColeyHarvey · 2h

Normally, Whitworth would make a plea about getting fans to come out w threats of blackout (like this wkend). Said today, team doesn't care

Coley Harvey @ColeyHarvey · 2h

As context, he was saying team was so focused on itself and trying to get to Super Bowl that low attendance doesn't frustrate it anymore

...so it sounds like their collective heads are in the right place.

AJ won't play and he didn't for the majority of the Atlanta game. I would rather have him in, but Hue made that happen. I'm good with that.

I don't intend on seeing Burfict and while he's a game changer, lastnameRey usually comes in strong when asked. Would rather Burfict though.

Pollak played well for Zeitler. I'm good with that.

I would much rather Thompson than moving a DE inside, but they have those guys move inside even when the DT's are healthy, so i'm ok with that.

I'm glad Whit isn't worried about low attendance. If that is their concern, they have bigger problems.

Seriously, the front office had to see this coming. 3 straight one and dones and this shouldn't surprise.

Hoping as the season goes, this becomes less of a concern, but I can't say as i'm surprised in the least.

I also made mention that the Titans don't strike me as a team I just can't miss watching at the stadium.

I would be more than ok catching that game from the couch.

Not unexpected. Bring on Last Name Rey.

So it looks like Sunday inactives are:

Green

Burfict

Zeitler

Thompson

Burkhead

Jones

Some Guy Who's Never Been in My Kitchen

Oh, and suddenly they've gone from "not close" in ticket sales to "might get there with an extension." :rolleyes:/>/> Only strengthens my suspicion that all these "sky is falling" ticket stories are bogus and just ways to scare up a few more tix sales.