4th Round: Russell Bodine, C, North Carolina

HoosierCat

*shrug*

They screw up at least part of the draft every year

I'm always hopeful going in, and I am always disappointed at some point

At least in more recent years, excepting this year, they wait til later to start their screwups

I was happy with Dennard, ok with Hill, but it all went to hell after that

I agree.

The DE from Oregon that Philly took is WAY better than Clarke. Sure, the team staff has more resources, get to interview the players etc. But I'll be hard pressed to smile about the last two picks when the obvious evidence shows they are reaches.

Nothing wrong with Clarke and Bodine. Both are solid prospects that address positions of need. Neither are needed to start right away and both provide depth.

Frankly, they weren't going to get a better pass rusher because this draft absolutely sucked if you needed that and didn't have a top 3 pick. It would have been nice to have a better center prospect but the only way to do that was using the second pick, so our run first O features BenSlowass Green-Threeyardsapop. That don't work.

If you want to complain about anything, I'd recommend free agency, where the FO sat on its hands and didn't fill a single gawd damned hole ahead of the draft. So here they are clearly drafting for need, even to the point of sacrificing a pick to scramble after one of the last decent center prospects. $25 million in cap pace, we fill no holes and extend no one but friggin Peko...

...ah well, it wouldn't be a draft day without me bitching, either.

This! Other years they could draft best available, not this year they had to draft for need. So at the time he was there best center so they moved up to get him, I can't blame them for that. We don't know how he is going to be, I love when people says he sucks or can't play without the guy never taking a snap here. Lets at least see how he is in training camp we might be suprised

OVERVIEW

Bodine arrived at North Carolina after attending Fort Union Military Academy, where his father is a teacher. He was rated the No. 8 center in the country by Rivals.com and ESPN.com after playing guard and defensive tackle at Fort Union.Bodine started the past two seasons for the Tar Heels, earning honorable mention All-ACC accolades in 2013. Primarily a center, he also started one game at guard in 2013.

I've got to say that the last time the Bengals drafted a relatively obscure center and announced that they thought that he'd be able to compete right away for an open position, it was Eric Ghiaciuc.

overall, the franchise that picked Bob Johnson with its first ever pick has only selected 7 centers in round 4 or higher: Johnson (a 1st rounder); Blair Bush (first round); Dave Rimington (first round); Rod Payne; Ghiaciuc; Jon Luigs (4th); Bodine (4th).

someone tell Bob Johnson to take off the curse

I've got to say that the last time the Bengals drafted a relatively obscure center and announced that they thought that he'd be able to compete right away for an open position, it was Eric Ghiaciuc.

overall, the franchise that picked Bob Johnson with its first ever pick has only selected 7 centers in round 4 or higher: Johnson (a 1st rounder); Blair Bush (first round); Dave Rimington (first round); Rod Payne; Ghiaciuc; Jon Luigs (4th); Bodine (4th).

someone tell Bob Johnson to take off the curse

There is a bonus this time. Bodine can play guard too. He's not necessarily locked in for a center role.

• Like 1

Bodine can play guard too. He's not necessarily locked in for a center role earning a roster spot.

fixed it for ya

There's no way the 4th round draft pick they traded up for is getting cut.

No way.

He might look like the reincarnation of Guy-check. He's still not getting cut.

• Like 1

So if Bodine and Robinson end up the starters at LG and OC respectively, how bad does Pollak suck ??

The suck belongs to Boling.

I'm looking at the tackles, and figuring that Boling is now the long term LT if/when ol' Whit gets hurt

I figure that the Bengals 2015 first rounder is an OT

So if Bodine and Robinson end up the starters at LG and OC respectively, how bad does Pollak suck ??

The suck belongs to Boling.

I'm looking at the tackles, and figuring that Boling is now the long term LT if/when ol' Whit gets hurt

I figure that the Bengals 2015 first rounder is an OT

What about Hawkinson?

It's still not even close to being known whether Boling is ready at the start of the season due to his ACL.

Pollak was thought to be his replacement at LG.

I would bet Boling is about at the end of his tenure here.

Had they drafted one of the better OG's when they had the chance, Boling would be gone on an injury settlement.

Easy test, match him up in the Oklahoma drill against Brandon Ghee. If Ghee flattens him, he is revealed as Guy-check 2.0, and is immediately granted a 3 year starting job.

Bodine can play guard too. He's not necessarily locked in for a center role earning a roster spot.

fixed it for ya

No way.

We cut a 2nd rounder olineman

anyone else remember 'the road grader' from Arkansas?

/>http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChilFr20.htm

match him up in the Oklahoma drill against Brandon Ghee

You payin Ghee's airfare from San Diego for this test?

Or his medical bill because you know shortly after flattening some big offensive lineman he will trip on a dixie cup and fracture his skull or something.

fixed it for ya

No way.

We cut a 2nd rounder olineman

anyone else remember 'the road grader' from Arkansas?

/>http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChilFr20.htm

They cut him out of training camp the year he was drafted?

If so, that was all Paul Brown. PB, not MB.

Easy test, match him up in the Oklahoma drill against Brandon Ghee. If Ghee flattens him, he is revealed as Guy-check 2.0, and is immediately granted a 3 year starting job.

How does Hobson spin that one?

Apparently, this guy is a mauler.

Hue wants a revived running game and this guy's strength is his...strength. Put him at guard and let Gio/Hill run behind him.

Why is this pick such a mystery?

He doesn't HAVE to start right away. He's just a 4th rounder, after all. But, you never know. If he beats out Boling, then all the better.

How does Hobson spin that one?

Any way that Mikey tells him