Chargers @ Bengals Wild Card Thread

HoosierCat

I'm calling 8-8 and no playoffs next year. This was the kick in the nuts that sends ML into his end of term tail spin. No coming back from this. Sorry.

My first thought was 6 or 7 wins. I agree, I don't know how the franchise pulls itself off the mat after this one. I don't know how *I* do.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say it again but our fan base is terrible. I understand, though, with that swath of over 10 years straight of just horrible football. However, the energy is just not there. Though it reflects the team. I was standing in lines a few times today trying to engage in semi decent football strategy talk. Nothing. I might as well have been taking about water polo. Maybe it's like this everywhere, I don't know. I appreciate the board here for sure.

I don't know how they move on from this loss either.

Every year though, it's the same crap the defense has a great year, get to the playoffs and suck. Offense this year improved in many ways, get to the playoffs and suck.

Marvin has yet to figure out how to win a playoff game, something it took the coach on the other side to do in one year.

I don't know how they move on from this loss either.

Every year though, it's the same crap the defense has a great year, get to the playoffs and suck. Offense this year improved in many ways, get to the playoffs and suck.

Marvin has yet to figure out how to win a playoff game, something it took the coach on the other side to do in one year.

There is no coming back from this. The bullets have been expended, the excuses have been made. There's always a limit. There's always a decisive turning point. For every team and for every coach. Marvin and Dalton are lame ducks. How far do we ride these lame ducks?

This city is in the midst of a playoff curse that hard to fathom. Not only do we lose in the playoffs; we completely forget how to play. Both the Reds and the Bengals have failed to advance at all in the playoffs since 1995 and more often than not, they're completely blown away. This curse goes well beyond the Bengals.

As for next year, we'll just go 'round again. I'm not worried about this game affecting 2014. It's just one game. We've got a lot of young players so I expect us to be playoff contenders for many years to come.

As an old hardened Bengal fan, I know not to give my heart to this team. You can't count on them for anything. Enjoy whatever wins you can get out of them but don't ever have expectations of winning anything. As soon as you do, they'll break your heart

This city is in the midst of a playoff curse that hard to fathom. Not only do we lose in the playoffs; we completely forget how to play. Both the Reds and the Bengals have failed to advance at all in the playoffs since 1995 and more often than not, they're completely blown away. This curse goes well beyond the Bengals.

As for next year, we'll just go 'round again. I'm not worried about this game affecting 2014. It's just one game. We've got a lot of young players so I expect us to be playoff contenders for many years to come.

As an old hardened Bengal fan, I know not to give my heart to this team. You can't count on them for anything. Enjoy whatever wins you can get out of them but don't ever have expectations of winning anything. As soon as you do, they'll break your heart

One thing to understand is that it's not so much of a "curse" as it is ownership that is just fine with "being competitive and making money."

They want to sell tickets, and have a "good enough" team to fill the stands consistently, anything more than that is gravy and a bit of luck. They don't want it bad enough, they just don't want to "lose a lot."

It's why Marvin and Paul Alexander stick around forever, or Dalton's job is never in jeopardy despite being an absolutely terrible QB half of the time, why Kyle Cook is still the Center, and Andre Smith is given a nice contract for under-achieving.

It's why the Reds' skimp at SS, LF and 3B, "good enough" is "good enough" in Cincinnati. Just don't expect much more I guess.

Yea the Chargers got something like 190 something on the ground, what the hell is that Zimmer.

Take a look at the past playoff games, Zims defense sucked, Gruden has had the worst game plans! I thought the bengals could run on them today, they tried but quit. No on field adjustment when the o-line had troubles. Just all around bad day of coaching!

I said it last week, let Gruden go, and make Hue the OC!!!

I remember Gruden first coming in saying they will be a power running game, that never happened.

Just read where the Chargers said they knew what the bengals were going to run, it was nothing new. News flash Gruden, you just played this team, how about you try and mix things up!!!!!!! Let Gruden go

One thing to understand is that it's not so much of a "curse" as it is ownership that is just fine with "being competitive and making money."

They want to sell tickets, and have a "good enough" team to fill the stands consistently, anything more than that is gravy and a bit of luck. They don't want it bad enough, they just don't want to "lose a lot."

It's why Marvin and Paul Alexander stick around forever, or Dalton's job is never in jeopardy despite being an absolutely terrible QB half of the time, why Kyle Cook is still the Center, and Andre Smith is given a nice contract for under-achieving.

It's why the Reds' skimp at SS, LF and 3B, "good enough" is "good enough" in Cincinnati. Just don't expect much more I guess.

What I'm talking about isn't ownership. Ownership doesn't get your baseball team no hit in game 1 of a playoff. Ownership doesn't get your baseball team to lose three straight and lose a best of 5 series. Ownership (today) doesn't get your team to lose by 17 points when you're a TD favorite at home. This cities' teams completely come unglued during playoff pressure and it's something I don't think I've ever seen before

Yea the Chargers got something like 190 something on the ground, what the hell is that Zimmer.

Take a look at the past playoff games, Zims defense sucked, Gruden has had the worst game plans! I thought the bengals could run on them today, they tried but quit. No on field adjustment when the o-line had troubles. Just all around bad day of coaching!

It's hard to blame the game plans when you're turning the ball over 4 times. If the Bengals were on the receiving end of those TOs, I guarantee the play calling would have looked much better and the team would have won. You can't lose the TO battle 4-0 in the playoffs and expect to win

It's hard to blame the game plans when you're turning the ball over 4 times. If the Bengals were on the receiving end of those TOs, I guarantee the play calling would have looked much better and the team would have won. You can't lose the TO battle 4-0 in the playoffs and expect to win

It really is as simple as that. Deciphering the 'who, wheres, whens, and whys' behind the turnovers are one thing, but recovering from them, during the game, is another.

Let me tell you all a little story. Yesterday, while I was watching the game, I got word from a friend. I was supposed to see him Saturday with a group of guys but he didn't show. Why? Turns out his teenaged daughter was killed in a car accident.

It's just a football game.

That's certainly ashame Hoosier and why I made the comment I did about this not being the "be all and end all".

It's just frustrating and people are venting. Nothing I didn't expect to see here.

I'm feeling pretty good today.

The Olympics are getting ready to start.

I love watching Bobsledding and the Luge.

Let me tell you all a little story. Yesterday, while I was watching the game, I got word from a friend. I was supposed to see him Saturday with a group of guys but he didn't show. Why? Turns out his teenaged daughter was killed in a car accident.

It's just a football game.

This is basically what I'm trying to get across as far as MY attitude is. I'm not expecting anyone else to have the SAME attitude as me, I was just sharing mine. It doesn't take car accidents and our children being killed for me to see that it's just a football game, that's all.

During the season in the Bengals Forum a member lost one of his twin sons to what they think was crib death.

For a few hours some of the members chimed in with condolences and perspectives, but were right back at hating the world because the Bengals didn't play to their expectations.

Everybody's different folks, and I would never criticize your perspective if it's different than mine, I just ask that you do the same, because I will tell you how I see things. WHO DEY